DJ Trim levels Difference

Bill1

Not sure if this is the right spot if it needs to be moved please do so.

I am looking at two different DJ's both 2015's one is an SXT the other a Crossroad, I can only see 2 main differences the SXT comes with 17" wheels & does not have the

heated seats/steering wheel it been upgraded with the touring suspension,  the 8.4 touch screen   They both have the same engine, transmission 7 passenger seating etc.

My question is, am I missing some fundamental difference between the SXT and Crossroad that would make the Crossroad a better buy?  To complicate it a little more the SXT has some options the Crossroad does not have including, remote start, GPS & rear Video. Also the SXT has about 50k on it the Crossroad 90k the SXT has about 6 months on the new car warranty and about 2.5 years on the power train, the Crossroad has no new car warranty and only 10k left on the PT, the Crossroad is $2k more asking.........

To me the SXT looks like a better deal and has most of the same "stuff" plus extras but I am concerned as I said above that I am missing some fundamental difference that makes the Crossroad better?

Opinions?

Thanks

Bill

My advice to you is to buy the SXT.  Stay away from the Crossroad as it is an AWD vehicle and comes with an extra set of problems (moparts, moproblems).  We made the mistake of buying the AWD.  Moparts, moproblems.  Mocostly ones.  Also, as 2late4u mentioned, 17 inch tires are cheaper to purchase than 19 inch tires.  You can't see them when you are driving, so what the heck is the difference.  The 19s may look nicer, but I don't spend a lot of time staring at my tires.

Given the information that you have provided above, the SXT is a much better buy in my opinion.  In the end, it's your money, so you buy the vehicle that you want.

mechanical-idiot

42 minutes ago, mechanical-idiot said:

My advice to you is to buy the SXT.  Stay away from the Crossroad as it is an AWD vehicle and comes with an extra set of problems (moparts, moproblems).  We made the mistake of buying the AWD.  Moparts, moproblems.  Mocostly ones.  Also, as 2late4u mentioned, 17 inch tires are cheaper to purchase than 19 inch tires.  You can't see them when you are driving, so what the heck is the difference.  The 19s may look nicer, but I don't spend a lot of time staring at my tires.

Given the information that you have provided above, the SXT is a much better buy in my opinion.  In the end, it's your money, so you buy the vehicle that you want.

mechanical-idiot

I have no idea how you got the impression that the Crossroad is only available with an AWD drive train.  It is available both ways.

3 hours ago, 2late4u said:

go with the sxt myself them tires are a lot cheaper to replace then the 19 inch (they do look better but dont last as long either)

When I replaced the Kuhmo tires on my Crossroad I found the cost reasonable (I paid about $650 US for Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias installed - 17" versions of the same tires would have cost $530 after rebate) - The $120 difference works our to about .3 cents / mile difference in operating cost based on the mileage I got from the Kuhmo tires on my last Journey - I was doing better wear-wise on the current vehicle, but I blew a sidewall on one tire and it was actually about the same price to install a full set of Bridgestones as to install 2 of the Kuhmos.

But the tires would last about the same, whichever size I would have chosen, because the circumference and tread depth and road compound are the same - what changes is the height of the sidewall - it is an inch 'longer' because the wheel radius is that much shorter.

Where a 17" wheel/tire makes a major difference is in road comfort - with shorter sidewalls the 19"wheels transmit the road surface to the suspension a bit better, offset by slightly more precise handling.

10 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

There isn't anything other than styling that would make the Crossroad a better buy. I would be more worried about doing business with a dealer that charges more for a vehicle with 90k miles than one with 50k. 

I am sorry I should have been more clear, these vehicles are at 2 different dealers in 2 different provinces, not to say that over time I have become quite tainted over the "honesty" of used car salespersons. 

Thanks

Bill

Thank you everyone, you guys have a wealth of information and advice I value.

This is from the car proof from one of the vehicles what strikes me is the number of times the vehicle was serviced before it was ever sold,  Is this unusual, or is this indicating a classic "Lemon" a Monday morning or Friday afternoon build ?

Capture24.jpg

Another question on this does the warranty start on the 1st date April 27 or when it was 1st sold October 2nd

Thanks

Bill

3 hours ago, Bill1 said:

I am sorry I should have been more clear, these vehicles are at 2 different dealers in 2 different provinces, not to say that over time I have become quite tainted over the "honesty" of used car salespersons. 

Thanks

Bill

Ah okay... Still I think since mechanically they are very similar the SXT with only 50k miles would be a better choice. Just be careful and make sure the vehicle wasn't used as a rental/fleet vehicle. Some people have good luck with them but I know I personally am not the most delicate rental driver. Also have it looked over by an independent mechanic just to be safe. 

2 hours ago, Bill1 said:

Thank you everyone, you guys have a wealth of information and advice I value.

This is from the car proof from one of the vehicles what strikes me is the number of times the vehicle was serviced before it was ever sold,  Is this unusual, or is this indicating a classic "Lemon" a Monday morning or Friday afternoon build ?

Capture24.jpg

Another question on this does the warranty start on the 1st date April 27 or when it was 1st sold October 2nd

Thanks

Bill

The warranty starts on the day it was sold. Also it isn't unusual for vehicles to be serviced before being sold. This could happen due to recalls and inspections are recorded as "being serviced". If it was sold as new than more than likely that is the case, and I don't see any trips back to the dealership afterwards to be serviced. 

6 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

Ah okay... Still I think since mechanically they are very similar the SXT with only 50k miles would be a better choice. Just be careful and make sure the vehicle wasn't used as a rental/fleet vehicle. Some people have good luck with them but I know I personally am not the most delicate rental driver. Also have it looked over by an independent mechanic just to be safe. 

No worries, the car proof doesn't show any auction sells or previous rentals/fleet ownership, also no accidents, although I usually take car proof/carfax with a grain of salt, better then nothing but things do get missed,  also for clarity its 50k kilometers (I'm in Canada) so about 31k miles.

All the Best

Bill

6 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

The warranty starts on the day it was sold. Also it isn't unusual for vehicles to be serviced before being sold. This could happen due to recalls and inspections are recorded as "being serviced". If it was sold as new than more than likely that is the case, and I don't see any trips back to the dealership afterwards to be serviced. 

Good to know, thank you, It kind of sent up a red flag, not that there was pre sales service but the number I don't recall seeing that many on a car proof before pre sale. I didn't include the after sales ones because they looked normal, yearly MVI, oil change etc.

Thanks

Bill

7 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

Be careful with that;  The warranty starts with the 'in service' date, which may differ from that of the first registration.  My nephew just learned the hard way, when he had an expensive failure on his DJ, which was purchased used which he was expecting to be covered by the warranty, but it seems that the in-service date was 6 months earlier than the date of the first sale to the original owner.

To know for certain, contact FCA and ask.

34 minutes ago, bramfrank said:

Be careful with that;  The warranty starts with the 'in service' date, which may differ from that of the first registration.  My nephew just learned the hard way, when he had an expensive failure on his DJ, which was purchased used which he was expecting to be covered by the warranty, but it seems that the in-service date was 6 months earlier than the date of the first sale to the original owner.

To know for certain, contact FCA and ask.

Thank you, I sent an email to FCA to ask the "in service date" we will see what they say if anything

All the Best

Bill

I'll add my 2 cents as I am a relatively new DJ owner. I would stay away from any car with 90K miles on it. Even 50K is pushing it. But to give you an idea with respect to my recent purchase of a DJ Crossroad which could help you.

I purchased the DJ CR, for $18200 out the door with less than 30K miles on it. My DJ has every conceivable option including Full leather seats, Sun/Moon roof etc. Now I went there to buy a Jeep Compass but ended up buying this DJ because she is hot! ;)

So, I don't know what prices you are offered on the two choices but there are a lot of pre owned DJs out there for very reasonable prices and with low miles.

Good luck!