2011 Brakes and Rotors Under Warranty?

SueBOhio

I've seen a lot of info out here about brakes and rotors on the Journeys. I have a 2011 Journey with 33,000 miles on it and was just told that it needs new brakes and rotors all around. They tell me it is NOT under warranty, that it is a normal wear-and-tear item. This just doesn't sound right to me, and I'm not sure who to talk to or what to say . . . . Anyone out there have an opinion on this? Should it be covered under warranty? They are asking me to pay $863 to get it fixed.

My warranty explicitly stated they only cover pads and rotors if its due to a factory defect. They're regular wear and tear items so they normally won't fall under most types of coverage, it would be too expensive for them. That $800-ish price range is average for parts + labour pricing but I do them myself on all my vehicles so that way I'm only paying for parts which knocks 50% of the cost off (Usually)

All items, including wear items, are covered for the first 12 months after purchase. After that it falls within the normal warranty rules and brakes/rotors won't normally be covered unless you purchased an extra package for lifetime brakes or if there is a recall.

i have a 2011 mainstreet at 10k they told me they had to turn the front rotors due to them warping, aabout 1 month ago took it back in for the last oil change with 32k on it. told them the brakes were shuddering again, after checking them they said the rotors needed to be replaced at my cost we got into a discussion about that and as i told them they should have replaced them at the 10 k instead of turning them,then they offered to do the labor for free if i bought the parts and i still said no as they wanted 190.00 for the rotors.told them it should be taken vare of the one time goodwill offer thur chrysler. they called back later and said they would replace everything for free. they put on new pads and rotors. i had checked on the parts thur the local parts store and rotors and pads would have cost me less than 140.00 and do it myself.

• Official Dodge Support

I've seen a lot of info out here about brakes and rotors on the Journeys. I have a 2011 Journey with 33,000 miles on it and was just told that it needs new brakes and rotors all around. They tell me it is NOT under warranty, that it is a normal wear-and-tear item. This just doesn't sound right to me, and I'm not sure who to talk to or what to say . . . . Anyone out there have an opinion on this? Should it be covered under warranty? They are asking me to pay $863 to get it fixed.

Sue,

The warranty on pads and rotors is 12 months or 12,000 miles, so the dealer is correct that they are not under warranty. What I would suggest is a call to the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center (numbers below) and let them know the problem with the vehicle and see if they will offer you some goodwill assistance. If they do not and you wind up replacing the brakes at your own cost make sure you save the receipts in case there is a recall or a warranty extension in the future. There was a warranty extension to 3 years 36,000 miles for the 2010 model year and if they expand that to 2011 models you will be notified and will be able to get reimbursed at that time.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

Sue,

The warranty on pads and rotors is 12 months or 12,000 miles, so the dealer is correct that they are not under warranty. What I would suggest is a call to the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center (numbers below) and let them know the problem with the vehicle and see if they will offer you some goodwill assistance. If they do not and you wind up replacing the brakes at your own cost make sure you save the receipts in case there is a recall or a warranty extension in the future. There was a warranty extension to 3 years 36,000 miles for the 2010 model year and if they expand that to 2011 models you will be notified and will be able to get reimbursed at that time.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

Thanks for the info. I will definately call the Customer Assistance Center. If they are not able to help me, does the repair have to be repaired at a Chrysler dealership (if they do extend the brake warranty)? I have a mechanic I have always used that will do it for much less . . .

Thanks again for the tips!

Thanks for the info. I will definately call the Customer Assistance Center. If they are not able to help me, does the repair have to be repaired at a Chrysler dealership (if they do extend the brake warranty)? I have a mechanic I have always used that will do it for much less . . .

You are in no way obligated to use the dealership to change your brakes. As Dodge cares mentioned in his post keep your receipts just in case if the warranty is extended to 2011 Journey's.

sue go to retailmenot.com click on advance auto coupon codes get the code then go to advance auto web site order your pads throm-quite pads are real good and advance will give you 1 free set of pads when they wear down. and if you need rotors they have them also. total cost pads $58.99 rotors reg ones $52.99 or wagner brand $53.99 if you spend more than $150. you get $50. off or $20 off more than $50. i have used them for both rotors and pads for all my dodge vans and my daughters postal car. they have good parts. you order on line and pay on line then go down to your local store and pick up the parts, also by you buying the parts you get the warrenty if your mech. buys the parts you dont get it.

• Official Dodge Support

You can have the brakes done anywhere you would like. If a extended warranty or a recall comes out after, Chrysler will still reimburse. Once a warranty extension or recall comes out, repairs must be done at the dealer to get reimbursed.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2011 Crew with 29k miles and my pads are fine but the rotors are warped beyond spec if grinded. Dealer wanted $350 per Rotor. They only had one in stock which tells me their rotors must have a problem. I have a Honda Accord with 140k Miles I had the rotors TURNED once not replaced. So something is up with the parts installed on Journey. I'm very disappointed because I bought this truck after having our second child for space and safety. Everytime I break the steering wheel shakes violently. I called Dodge customer care line and they told me I had to go back to the dealer and get a report on the rotors no older than 30 days and call back. After I do this they will try to do some "special financing" to help me. I'm sorry but you need to replace these defective Rotors. I can't afford to buy new Rotors every 20k miles.

The parts aren't defective, they're undersized. And your dealer is a thief. Buy aftermarket parts - 4 rotors will set you back all of $120 and pads about $100. They're not hard to change yourself, but your local handy mechanic likely can do it for $100 in cash or so.

As to affording the cost? Take it out of the money you saved by buying a Journey in the first place.

Edited by bramfrank

• 5 months later...

I just replaced the brakes on my 2011 Mainstreet @ 25000, miles . Replaced all rotors with CENTRIC products , and the pads with POSI-QUIET Ceramic Pads. Best move I ever made . :) Super clean with no dust problem. The brakes work great now , awesome stopping power . The brakes that came with the car were just not beefy enough for the weight of the car . :)