Mirror/Sun glasses holder

JosephLennemann

I have the 09 Journey SXT and like most people that I have talked to my mirror/sun glasses holder keeps falling open. As on now I have a piece of paper wedged up between the crack to keep it shut. Does anyone know how to fix this?

My sunglassholder has been replaced under warranty last year.

My sunglassholder has been replaced under warranty last year.

I'm the second owner. The first owner was a dealership that leased the car out. It says that I DO NOT apply for unlimited power train warranty because I'm the second owner. So will they still replace the sun glasses holder? It only has 60,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Official Dodge Support

There was a TSB issued for this condition. I have included it below.

NUMBER: 23-004-10

GROUP: Body

DATE: February 27, 2010

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,

or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.

SUBJECT:

Sunglass Holder Will Not Stay Latched

OVERVIEW:

If the overhead console endures excessive heat the bezel may warp and the sunglass

holder door will not stay latched in the closed position. Dealers are required to replace the

bezel and follower arm which guides the sunglass holder door.

MODELS:

2009 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before March 27, 2009 (MDH0327XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience the sunglass holder door unlatching and not return

returning to the closed position in high heat conditions.

DIAGNOSIS:

Inspect the sunglass holder door, if it does not return to the closed position, perform the

Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

AR (1) 68079408AA KIT, Overhead Console Sunroof

AR (1) 68079409AA KIT, Overhead Console W/O Sunroof

NOTE: Each kit will include two follower arms but only one is needed to perform the

repair procedure.

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

C-4755 Trim Stick

• 2 weeks later...

There was a TSB issued for this condition. I have included it below.

GROUP: Body

DATE: February 27, 2010

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,

or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.

SUBJECT:

Sunglass Holder Will Not Stay Latched

OVERVIEW:

If the overhead console endures excessive heat the bezel may warp and the sunglass

holder door will not stay latched in the closed position. Dealers are required to replace the

bezel and follower arm which guides the sunglass holder door.

MODELS:

2009 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before March 27, 2009 (MDH0327XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience the sunglass holder door unlatching and not return

returning to the closed position in high heat conditions.

DIAGNOSIS:

Inspect the sunglass holder door, if it does not return to the closed position, perform the

Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

AR (1) 68079408AA KIT, Overhead Console Sunroof

AR (1) 68079409AA KIT, Overhead Console W/O Sunroof

NOTE: Each kit will include two follower arms but only one is needed to perform the

repair procedure.

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

C-4755 Trim Stick

Will they fix mine now that it's broken from trying to close it while trying to drive as it kept opening? It seems the pin that it swings down from broke off so now I have paper wedged to hold it up.

• Official Dodge Support

Will they fix mine now that it's broken from trying to close it while trying to drive as it kept opening? It seems the pin that it swings down from broke off so now I have paper wedged to hold it up.

If it's under warranty they should fix it.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Not sure if you all have gotten it fixed by now or not, but I just bought an 09 SXT last month and had this same issue. Fixed it tonight...I'm pretty sure. :)

I took the black plastic pin (that holds the door up) out of the overhead console all together. If you put your finger just under the pin and pry it out, it will snap right out. I looked at it for a long time...tried to cut a small piece of paper clip off and super glue that to the end of the pin to make it longer...couldn't do it. So, I took a piece of packing tape and rolled it up so that it would wedge right behind the pin housing and the overhead console. I attached that piece of packing tape to the back of the pin housing with super glue and trimmed it to be the size of the pin housing. I re-installed the pin housing by snapping it right back in and it is FINALLY holding it all up the way it should. If you REALLY hit the ceiling it can fall down, but I can hit it pretty hard and it stays in place. The door opens and closes as it should. Hopefully this was the answer...but for now...it works!!! :)

• 1 month later...

I'd already had the assembly replaced once, and the new one only lasted three months. Here's how I fixed it. I took that black piece that needs the longer pin, and made a longer pin. I carefully pulled out the existing pin with a very small pair of diagonal cutters. A large paper clip wasn't of sufficient diameter, so I took a wire brad that was a little larger diameter than the hole. Supporting the front side of the black piece with the jaws of my vise spaced just close enough to let the brad pass through, I carefully tapped the brad in with a tack hammer from the rear. Then, it was back inside the housing with the black piece. Cut the brad carefully, little by little, so it clears the holder body and runs in the pin track cast in the holder body without scraping the body of the housing. Cut only what you need. When you are done, you should have the new 'pin' protruding about half to three-quarters of the depth of the track.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Neither link shows a picture. I have never had any issues with mine. I never use it, but am curious what was wrong with it. This is such an old post, the fix must have incorporated at the factory.

• Official Dodge Support

@DodgeCares. Is this kit still available?

I'm not seeing it on our Mopar online store, however if your vehicle falls within the TSB guidelines your servicing dealership should be able to get the proper part for you.