Backup Camera at Night

Hello everyone, 

this is my first post here. I searched but wasn't able to find my specific issue. I just bought a 2015 DJ Crossroad. It has a backup camera and during the day it works just fine. A little hazy/ blury (not crisp/HD) but I've read it's pretty normal. My problem is at night. Seems that the darker it gets the worse the camera works. It turns really grainy and almost useless. On my Camry the camera turns to night mode, black and white but still really clear. Is it just a problem with my camera or is this just how it is on the DJ? 

Edited by GLobo

my new 2017 is the same.  blurriness in the daytime, and grainy crap at night.  its still decent enough to NOT hit a car or wall behind me but still crappy.  id LOVE to have a crystal clear camera.  at least during daytime.  i figure at night less light = less visual quality much like a normal camera more light = better picture.

if i could swap it out somehow for an HD camera id do it in a heartbeat!

I second Bryman here... I have a 2017, and at night the camera is next to useless. The screen resolution sucks and everything turns a blueish shade and you can't make anything out. The camera seems to be much better on the newer models (pacifica, durango, charger) but I don't think there is much we can do to improve ours. 

So it seems like I'm not alone... the other day I was out in a completely dark parking lot and I had to roll windows down to get out of a parking space as backup camera was useless... well if I get a chance I will take it to dodge for them to evaluate... thanks everyone 

Brighter reverse lights would help.  But I have similar results.  Not bad during the day, but grainy at night.  My SRT Charger has about the same results too, but at night the camera view seems better.  I believe its from brighter reverse lights.  At some point, I'm going to swap out the rear bulbs with brighter ones for a better view.

mine is real clear during the day and it is a little grainy at night but still very easy to see what is back there.i can see the color variations even at night no problem. you must have a wire problem or equipment problem.but ever since i had to put a lift up carrier back there for my wife's scooter the back up cam is not as effective , i can see thur it but i dont trust myself using only that.....

Mine is like 2late4u - very legible at night, if somewhat grainy.

In any case, the camera's field of view is fairly narrow and if you aren't turning around and using your mirrors in addition to the monitor you are going to be cutting off pedestrians and cross traffic.

Thanks for the responses all! So it kind of fixed itself! I closed the back door kind of hard and it looks a lot better now lol! A little grainy at night but actually usable... I've been trying to recreate it so I could take it to the dealer but it's not done it again... fingers crossed 

IMG_1289.JPG

2 minutes ago, GLobo said:

Thanks for the responses all! So it kind of fixed itself! I closed the back door kind of hard and it looks a lot better now lol! A little grainy at night but actually usable... I've been trying to recreate it so I could take it to the dealer but it's not done it again... fingers crossed 

IMG_1289.JPG

mine is more clear than that but still a little grainy, you never said if you still have any warranty i would take it in if you do...

Yeah, that photo is worse than mine.  I had the camera option installed shortly after purchase and actually had a bad camera.  I also drive a SRT charger and the camera in that was better and why it was so noticable.  I took it to the dealer and they replaced the camera and now both Dodges are very similar in quality.  Before the swap, it was similar to yours in the photo.  Very grainy and kinda blurry.  Now, its not HD but it's good enough for me.