40K and unsatisfied

ivey_usmc

We bought the 2015 journey crossroad 4cyl for my wife. The car is grossly underpowered to say the least. It has been to the dealership many times for, D/S cv boot leaking, D/S front seat clicks when you stop and go, rack and pinion leaking, engine cover recall, AC not blowing cold. I have 40K on it now and the AC blows cool not cold. I live in Austin TX and it was over 100 for the past week!! I use full syn oil every 5k and rotate the tires. The oem Kumo tires have around 5-10 left on them so im happy about that. 

Yep, we lived with the 4 cylinder for 3-1/2 years. It did it's job. We just came to understand it's limitations in the performance department. Never left us stranded though. I always get a chuckle out of people who decide AFTER the purchase that the engine is underpowered and start complaining about it. That's what test drives are for....lol...

We got the 3.6 now. Will never go back. Good luck with yours!

Edited by jkeaton

@jkeaton has a point... They build the DJ to a price, and the 4cyl engine is definitely one of the ways they make it affordable. As for your other problems I'm sorry to hear about them, I only have 14k on mine so far but fingers crossed I don't run into many problems. A/C systems are fickle things though, I had a Honda for a few years that decided every summer it wasn't going to blow cold air. 

Yup the 4-cyl is extremely underpowered and it is more stress on that little engine for such a large vehicle. The way I always saw it is think of a little guy pulling a large mass sure it can do it but how long, versus a larger guy pulling the same large mass. If possible try to trade it in for the 6-cylinder model you won't be disappointed and 1 mpg difference from your 4-cylinder model. 

the CHEVROLET EQUINOX comes with mostly 4 cyl , I think it is a turbo and it looks to be larger then the journey only not as good looking as the journey , I dont know how they drive or handle but as usually you get what you pay for.i didnt even try the 4 cyl in the journeys i went straight to the 3.6

I wouldn't even consider a 4cyl in my family of vehicles.  They almost never have enough power.  The 4 cyl equinox isn't turbo charged either but is also under powered for the vehicle.  I had a 2010 3.0 v6 equinox and although a nice vehicle, I like the 3.6 v6 in the  Journey.

• 10 months later...
On 2017-07-13 at 8:59 AM, Steven Harshbarger said:

New's to me. Thats sad, it's a terrible combination.  The turbo lag is TERRILE on those little 2.0's

Shouldn’t be, the smaller the turbo, the quicker the spool....

The 2.0L Ecoboost we had in the Escape took off like a rubber band, that being said, with how computer controlled everything is these days the “lag” if any at all woul be different from vehicle to vehicle.

Having a low “ping” (for lack of a better term) in your softwares communication would almost act like a lag sometimes too...

On 2017-07-12 at 11:11 AM, 2late4u said:

the CHEVROLET EQUINOX comes with mostly 4 cyl , I think it is a turbo and it looks to be larger then the journey only not as good looking as the journey , I dont know how they drive or handle but as usually you get what you pay for.i didnt even try the 4 cyl in the journeys i went straight to the 3.6

Yeah, but it’s a GM product....highest/longest recal rate ever.

On 2017-07-12 at 10:53 AM, Eduardo831 said:

Yup the 4-cyl is extremely underpowered and it is more stress on that little engine for such a large vehicle. The way I always saw it is think of a little guy pulling a large mass sure it can do it but how long, versus a larger guy pulling the same large mass. If possible try to trade it in for the 6-cylinder model you won't be disappointed and 1 mpg difference from your 4-cylinder model. 

The 4Cyl and 6Cyl may use the same transmission, but the gearing would be different to account for the differences in engine capabilities....obviously gearing can only help so much while still maintaining acceptable power curves/acceleration/top speed etc..

But even with the gearing help, you’re absolutely right, the 4Cyl just isn’t enough....my friend has a 09 Journey 4Cyl, and he is very secretly jealous that I bought a new one with the 6Cyl LOL

Same reason we didn’t go with a Durango, I’m not about to buy one with the 6Cyl and the 8Cyl is more than I’ll spend on a “family hauler”.