Help Installing Backup Camera on 2015 R/T

I've searched for a few days now on the forum going over many of the backup camera install threads. I've found a lot of information, but need some key points of information that I wasn't able to confirm.

Should the 2015 R/T have the wiring for the backup Camera to the headunit from the factory?  If so, where is the end of the pigtail hiding in the rear of the car so that I can verify and look? 

Secondly, if the camera wiring is there.  What parts do I need to get?  Can I order just the camera and connect the wiring harness at back of the vehicle and at the radio?  Would the sales code be included with the Camera or is that something that I need to purchase separately as well?  I've found the part number for the Camera kit, which includes the wiring harness I may not need. Does anyone have the part numbers for the Camera itself or the sales code?

I'm thinking about saving a bunch of money and picking up the camera from a junk yard, not sure where I would get a sales code to activate it from though.

Chris

All Journeys manufactured after 2012 are supposed to be prewired for the camera.

But good luck finding the connector out back - I certainly couldn't, but the good news is that I had purchased the 2011-2012 kit, which came with the cabling, and ran it to the front where I had the dealer do the connections while he activated the sales code.

Edited by bramfrank

I'm pretty sure the dealer will have to provide the sales code and install that update.  I did the camera install on my 2016 but I did go through the dealership for everything.  It cost me right around $400 for all I believe.  Works great and can't see having DJ without it.  For me, it was worth just having the dealership do it.  The installation isn't all that hard but from what I've seen, you've gotta take alot out to get the wires ran properly if they aren't there already.  Then the sales code, it was just easier for me to let them deal with it incase there were any hickups.

9 hours ago, jkeaton said:

What happened to just using mirrors to back up??? :cool:

Backup cameras are mandatory as of the 2018 model year - get ready for all sorts of accidents as a result.  I know that when I first got my camera going I would tend to look at the screen without checking around and often would cut off pedestrians and cars crossing behind - you need to train yourself to use the screen only to gauge the back end of the vehicle.

On a positive note it certainly removes the guesswork of the exact end of the vehicle when backing into a parking spot.  I can fit the DJ into a shorter spot now than when I needed to guesstimate exactly how much space there was between my bumper and that of the vehicle behind me.  Sometimes the space allows me to park in spots that are amazingly short . . . . .

17 hours ago, jkeaton said:

What happened to just using mirrors to back up??? :cool:

I don't know about you, but between my daughters carseat in the middle and the headrests on the left and right I can't see much of anything out the rear window.  Side mirrors help, but honestly there is a lot you can't see. I have a longer driveway to back down and there are kids and animals around. I want to be able to see everything that is behind my car when I back up.  

I was hoping someone knew where that pigtail was hiding.  I'm going to do the install myself to save money, I've done motor swaps and pretty much anything else that needs to be done short of rebuilding a motor or transmission.  I've done far more complex wiring than a camera. I once added power windows and locks to a base model with nothing. Installed all the wiring, switches, motors, etc.   The backup camera doesn't worry me. I just need the info to make it go smoothly.  

Once I tackle the job I'll post pictures and possibly some video so that it will be easier for everyone else as there really isn't a good write up.

• 5 months later...
On 7/12/2017 at 1:26 AM, stiers11 said:

I don't know about you, but between my daughters carseat in the middle and the headrests on the left and right I can't see much of anything out the rear window.  Side mirrors help, but honestly there is a lot you can't see. I have a longer driveway to back down and there are kids and animals around. I want to be able to see everything that is behind my car when I back up.  

I was hoping someone knew where that pigtail was hiding.  I'm going to do the install myself to save money, I've done motor swaps and pretty much anything else that needs to be done short of rebuilding a motor or transmission.  I've done far more complex wiring than a camera. I once added power windows and locks to a base model with nothing. Installed all the wiring, switches, motors, etc.   The backup camera doesn't worry me. I just need the info to make it go smoothly.  

Once I tackle the job I'll post pictures and possibly some video so that it will be easier for everyone else as there really isn't a good write up.

Have you tackled this job ? Any pics or videos of the install ?

• 3 weeks later...