Adding towing to 2014 Journey?

TrypWyr

We purchased a used fleet vehicle, 2014 Journey Limited. I see nothing on the original window paper about towing. We are looking into purchasing a pop-up camper (Flagstaff 206LTD, GVWR 2274) but I need to get a hitch and harness installed. After reading on these forums I'm concerned that this vehicle needs more than just the physical hitch but also re-programming and possibly an add-on engine cooler? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: So it looks like I already have the engine oil cooler, according to my VIN-specific equipment listing. My understanding is that the transmission cooler is standard. I'm thinking at this point that the Curt class III along with the wiring harness and a possible flash of the computer and I should be good to go.

Edited by TrypWyr
Add info

3.6L 6-cylinder, AWD. Nothing in the build listing shows anything for towing, but the added optional equipment for my VIN shows the engine oil cooler and "trailer sway damping".

The 2274 is the max weight for the trailer, the actual unloaded weight is 1608. We don't plan on packing much in it and won't be using the fresh water tank (at least on the first road trip, we will mostly be sticking to parks with hookups).

• 4 months later...
On 3/26/2017 at 1:42 PM, TrypWyr said:

3.6L 6-cylinder, AWD. Nothing in the build listing shows anything for towing, but the added optional equipment for my VIN shows the engine oil cooler and "trailer sway damping".

The 2274 is the max weight for the trailer, the actual unloaded weight is 1608. We don't plan on packing much in it and won't be using the fresh water tank (at least on the first road trip, we will mostly be sticking to parks with hookups).

Curious if you ever got your hitch installed, and if it worked out for the trailer you were thinking? Installed the Curt hitch and wiring harness on mine and worked out great. Did have to get a receiver with a 2.5" lift in order for the hitch to be level for your average trailer. It seems that the hitch on the DJ is a little low.

12 hours ago, 2late4u said:

if you use the factory wiring you will have to have it flashed at the dealership....if you use the curt wiring kit that is all you have to do.

So the curt wiring bypasses the need for flashing, correct? How much more is the curt wiring than the factory?

2 hours ago, km-04 said:

So the curt wiring bypasses the need for flashing, correct? How much more is the curt wiring than the factory?

yes... just google curt hitches and determine if you have reg or led taillights then order it  will cost you less than the factory... there are videos on  youtube showing how to install the wiring....

3 hours ago, 2late4u said:

yes... just google curt hitches and determine if you have reg or led taillights then order it  will cost you less than the factory... there are videos on  youtube showing how to install the wiring....

Thanks. 

Curt hitch packaged with the receiver, ball, and wiring kit is the way to go. Ebay has the package deal for under $190 and installation is easy (if you have at least basic car skills). I installed my hitch and wiring harness by myself without even having to jack it up. Just keep in mind that you will most likely use the receiver in the 'rise' position since the hitch sits a little low. I would of loved to use the pre-installed harness (connector was $80), but the 2 dealers I went to couldn't figure out if they would be able to flash my specific car. I was told to buy the harness and then they would give it a try. I could then return the harness if it didn't work, minus the restocking fee. Finally decided to go with the Curt wiring harness and it works like a charm.