8.4 uconnect cannot unlock maps - FIXED IN 6 STEPS (Confirmed)

18 hours ago, carvalho63 said:

Just went to the dealer this morning, after 3 hours checking the problem they said that they have to replace the unit. 

3 hours?

What did they do for 3 hours?  If you have the message on screen they order a new radio.  By now it is SOP and should be in the computer.

Any chance someone has 2017.20 as a download I can grab. I just got a 8.4n to replace my 8.4 but i'm getting the map error. I've gotten most of the files but am missing a few, and even breaking out the steps to only update pieces at a time, it's still failing.

*UPDATE*

Nevermind. Though i was able to downgrade with the thumbdrive I was using, i had to use an official sandisk thumb to actually update the maps. This vehicle is picky as hell.

Thanks,

HawtDog

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

• 2 weeks later...

Ill give this a go was told my radio had to be replaced again. I see a pattern here whats up with these units the dealers should have to stock replacement radios not waste peoples time and tell them to come back in a week

• 1 month later...

Guys I hope you can maybe help me out my UConnect on my vehicle navigation is saying I'm in a location that I am not. For example I am east and it says I'm NW and on a street that I am not on. I hit restore on the maps drove the vehicle around and it resetted itself and started working properly. Couple days later it's doing the same thing what could it be? I have had this radio changed our 3-4 times. The last 3 all can't unlock maps I would get on the screen this last unit replacement has Been working fine its just the maps getting confused

Any suggestions I greatly appreciate it

• 1 month later...

Interested in adding navigation functionality to my 2014 Limited Edition. I have the uConnect 8.4 without nav right now, will this work for me? I own a garmin nuvi 2455 but don't like wires hanging around

Edited by Justinmh
Autocorrect changed nav to mac

2 hours ago, Justinmh said:

Interested in adding navigation functionality to my 2014 Limited Edition. I have the uConnect 8.4 without mac right now, will this work for me? I own a garmin nuvi 2455 but don't like wires hanging around

On my '11 I had a 3790 installed above the mirror (I could do that because it was an SE+ and had no overhead console).  I ran the power/traffic cable down the right side pillar and connected the power to the fuse block behind the glove box - no visible wires at all and with that model's voice recognition I never had to touch the unit at all.

Placement is a bit different with the Limited because there is no available space above the mirror - what a friend who has a 4.3" screen like my 3790 did was to install the unit in the glasses hodler and he also ran the wiring through the roof liner.

That can obviate the need to go out and buy a new radio and spend the $500-$1200 that these go for in the aftermarket.   I happen to have one for sale, priced at $800 and listed in the classified section..

You'd need to replace the RE2 TGM (radio module) you have now with the RB5.  There are three different models and only the latest version supports traffic.  You will require an unlock code for your new radio - not a serious issue, I am mentioning it so that you are aware that you will need it if you decide to proceed.

That nav version of the radio has sales code RB5 and goes by a myriad of part numbers and there's no magic decoder ring.  I know of people who have bought several units each, all of which turned out to NOT be nav versions in spite of the fact that the sellers said that they were.

HTH

• 2 months later...

I am typically reasonable at Google-Fu, but this is a bit beyond...

The search suggestions give me like... 5 results, and they all just contain dead links.

Does anyone have like... a dropbox or gdrive, or maybe just send me whatever link they used?

I've had this fixed by the dealer once already (swapped radio) and this is really killing me. Every year I have to swap the radio...

Why couldn't the dealer just provide the DVD with the files when they realised it was going to be an issue like this?
I mean, presumably I paid for these maps when I originally purchased the vehicle, I don't see why I have to pay $150 every year.''

I'd love to give this a shot if it means I don't have to get this to the dealer, swap out car seats for the baby, etc...

Last time I went to the dealer I got "valet service", and they scraped up my bumper, then blamed it on me... such a nuisance.

Another idea... if I buy these maps: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/33379

Using the garmindevice.xml file from my Journey (obtained here): http://chryslergroup.navigation.com/web/WFS/Shop-ChryslerNA-Site/en_US/-/USD/NVT_ViewGarminMediaType-ProcessMediaType

Follow the "Garmin Cloning Method" for installing maps to an USB Drive instead of your device (which people do because they notoriously brick themselves during this process): http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

Then, take the USB Drive I performed the "update" on, and use it to update/fix my maps.

If the above method works, it would be a great way to stay up-to-date, beyond keeping the GPS functional.

What I don't understand is why I can't get the maps from Chrysler for free, seeing that they were pre-loaded with my vehicle... and my vehicle conveniently deletes/corrupts them constantly.

Would it really be a licensing issue if they just gave me the maps I got with my vehicle in the first place?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, pyrater said:

Just an update for all. I was able to successfully reload everything and all is working at CTP17. Just 2 stumbling blocks. 1) when you format your usb sticks use FAT32 as mentioned as well as 16K. secondly put the CTP13 file in a Garmin folder not the root. Same goes for the CTP17 file.

Good luck And I hope I never have to do this again. but that to Pyrater for his help.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 8:09 AM, pyrater said:

Picture of problem

If your found this thread helpful or it fixed your issue please reply and post here.

Many pages of posts and no guide / fix posted. Course it costs 100.00 to replace the radio under extended warranty (1500-2000 without) and people on this forum will charge you 100.00 to help you, Plus they want your personal information.... All of course up front.... To further compound the issue its not like you can install an aftermarket radio with nav as this radio controls the environmental / ac / etc.  So in an effort to actually help the community since dodge has F***ed us i will post my results / steps so far.

STEP 1: First you need the files, most people pull these from a nuvi or the update cd they purchased. HOWEVER, you can get almost all of them from the net. I will not post a direct link here to avoid any rules about piracy, I am sure with a little googlefu you can find the files if you search for (    gps power "gmapprom.img - Original Locked"    ) or even torrents. 

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this for 2017.20 map files:

When you first open the usb drive you should only see one folder, Garmin NOTHING ELSE. All files and sub folders go in that folder.

+Garmin
|       gmap3d.img        (3d Buildings North America)
|       gmapprom.img    (North America Detailed maps)
|       gmaptz.img          (Time Zone Map)
|       gmapbmap.img   (Basemap / non-detailed maps)
|       gmapdem.img     (Digital Elevation Model map / terrain shading)

+---ASR
|       05HPWWZK.SRX
|       05HPWWZL.ASR
|       05HPWX6O.srx
|       05HPWX6P.asr
|       05HPWX6Q.asr
|       05HPWX6R.asr
|       05HPWX6S.asr
|       
+---JCV
|       D3153210A.jcv
|       
+---SID
|       D2656220A.sid
|       D3157200A.sid
|       D3398190A.sid
|       D3406190A.sid
|       
+---SQLite
        D3397190A.db

Step 2: The gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files should be manually unlocked before they go into the car using gimgunlock.exe. (See links at bottom for garmin image tools) To unlock the two files, simply drag-and-drop them one at a time onto the "gimgunlock.exe" file using your file explorer. It will only take a couple of seconds to unlock both files. A command window will flash by, so fast you may miss it if you blink.

Step 3: Downgrade radio navigation to CTP13! This is very important as newer versions have secuirty that prevents loading of maps without dealer codes. Take a second USB drive with the gupdate.gcd from CTP13. The one I found was not for a dodge journey, however it still worked. Turn on the car and hold temp up + temp down + front defrost, after a few seconds dealer mode will pop up. Select garmin recovery update and plug in the usb drive with CTP13 on it. NOTE: After you flash this it takes a long time to load. Let it load and it will still say cannot unlock maps. Just click ok, you may need to restart your car one time to click out of the pop up. 

Step 4: Updating the map package in the car. Take the map usb drive we prepared in step 1 - 2 and plug it into the usb slot once the car is running (important) and at the navigation screen (blue) with the messages gone. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly or go for a drive. Very important that the car stays on! If the validation process has an error, especially if a "0x31A0" pops up, then this all-at-once method will not work. See below 

Picture Example 

Step 5: After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says. 

Picture Example

Step 6 (Optional): Take the CTP13 firmware usb and delete the CTP13 file and load the CTP17 file (same method as downgrade). Now upgrade the radio to CTP17 and enjoy your radio on the latest maps with the latest firmware.

Errors / things that may happen:
If the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts. After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish. Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4/25/2017 ADDED FEEDBACK:

Problems loading the maps may be with the thumb drive. Even though it is a 8gb and formatted fat32, and even though you can downgrade to ctp13 with it, loading maps with it may not work. Use a legit sandisk  drive and some have reported better success. - Provided by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Fallback method for installing full update:
The problem is that the maps are getting too big. If there's not enough free space in the radio to fit the updated files, the validation process will fail. There is a way to 'clean' out the radio of the older map files so that enough space is recovered for a full update. When you install the new map, the old files are deleted during the process. If you do not have new files to replace them in the update USB stick, nothing gets copied in their place so the internal flash drive space is released.

Step 1:

1) On the USB stick, create another folder in the root named "Disabled".
2) Move all of the Garmin subfolders (ASR, JCV, & SID) into the "Disabled" folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update. It will be faster, since fewer files are installed.

When this is done, you will have only updated the three files in the Garmin folder, gmapprom.img, gmap3d.img, and gmaptz.img. This will give you updated detailed maps, 3D landmarks, and time zones.

Step 2:

1) On the USB stick, move gmap3d.img & gmaptz.img from the Garmin folder into the Disabled folder. Leave gmapprom.img in the Garmin folder.
2) Move the JCV folder from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update again.

When this is done, the Junction View is now installed, and the 3D landmarks and time zones are still there.

Step 3:

1) On the USB stick, move the ASR & SID folders from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder. Leave gmapprom.img and the JCV folder in the Garmin folder.
2) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update once again.

After this is completed, the system is fully updated to the new maps and all features work except for the phone number lookup.

REF: 
Orginal guide - http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-236649.html
Garmin Image Tools - (http://code.google.com/p/gimgtools/downloads/detail?name=gimgtools-0.03-win32.zip&can=2&q

Edited for the 2017 files only to clear up confusion.

I cannot find 3 of these files:

gmaptz.img

gmapbmap.img

gmapdem.img

Does anyone know where I can find these?

• 2 weeks later...