Oil spraying the rocker panels

probak118

FYI,

I have been using the same shop on Walker Road (Windsor, Ontario) since 1997. Usually every 2 years per vehicle, no issues and great service. Yesterday we decided to use another person for the service. Surprise, it was noticed that there seemed to be no oil spraying ever done in the rockers of my 2012 DJ. It has been in twice for the service with former shop. Even looked to see if access was gained from underside, no sir. The rockers are filled with foam ( a bit of a pain in the ass to do ) but new guy suggested adding oil to the rockers anyway; that is where rusting will want to start. Just a heads up that you may want to verify that other service providers are doing the rocker panels also.

Funny, but being in the area near both Michigan and Ohio the Windsor Salt mine makes salt very plentiful and cheap for use in melting ice and snow on our roads. I wish they only would spread sand. Salt kills our car's body around here for four months plus of the Winter season.  If you do not service your vehicle components susceptible to this salt by "oil spray"or other corrosion control etc...your car will not last long - rust free. Perhaps my words to describe the bottom of the door openings, door sill plates "rocker panels" was incorrect I apologize. My main point was that these parts normally hollow and notorious for holding moisture and salt seemed filled with foam now for sound suppression etc ? Maybe this foam allows the metal to resist oxidation now ? All I know was I expected the rust protection previously applied to be somewhat present and it was not. 

Got it now!  Although I have never heard of spraying  oil inside the door sils, etc. I understand what you are talking about.  We use alot of saltin Chicago during the winter as well, but never had to do anything like that to my cars.  In the 60-70's undercoating/rust proofing was big, but not so much anymore with newer cars.

Oil sprays are very common. Some people are fanactics about it and if I lived where salt was present, I would probably be desperate to combat any rust also. Especially as much as cars cost nowadays. 

IMO though, any repellent is a band aid for the inevitable. Luckily I dont have to deal with salt much here in Ga. But from experience on other forums, foam has been a big contributing factor to premature rust/paint issues, particularly on trucks.