Oil Filter Advice Needed

jshabouk

Good Morning All,

Not looking to start a war, but wanted some advice.  I have used Purolator PureOne filters in my Dodge Intrepid and Grand Caravan for years.  Now that I traded the Intrepid for the Journey, they don't make a PureOne filter for the Journey.  I know that the PureOne had better filtering materials.  Can anyone recommend a substitute?  I'm full synthetic oil btw.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by jshabouk
Update

I'll get flamed for this for sure, but I've been using Fram since day one in my Journey. Not one single issue. Been using Fram in the multitude of other vehicles I've owned over the years and never had an issue. At any rate, The Purolator website lists a filter available for your 2015, part # . Go here and enter your vehicle info:

http://pureoil.com/6113/?L=0

And they sell it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-Classic-Oil-Filter-L36296/dp/B00U1OH4AO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Dodge|40&Model=Journey|6800&Year=2015|2015&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Edited by jkeaton

My '10 T&C has had nothing but Purolator One filters since I bought it at 39k miles.  It's at 110k now with only one engine repair to it's name (valve seals, and not anything remotely close to the fault of the oil filter).

Purolator makes a filter for all three product lines for the Journey:

Purolator Classic - L12222

Purolator One - PL12222

Purolator Boss - PBL12222

The case and threading is identical, the difference is in filter media, gasket, and anti-drain back valve.

My Journey (2.4L) has had three filters on it - the original Mopar filter, a Purolator One for the first oil change with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 at ~3,500 miles, and a Purolator Boss filter with Ultra Platinum oil at ~9,500 miles.  I'll let you know in 10 years how the Purolator Boss filters hold up!

Assuming your SXT is using the 2.4L, anything from Fram that is Ultra Guard or higher should be fine.  Anything that is Purolator should be fine.  Anything K&N or Bosch or any reputable long-duration oil filter should be fine.

If you have the 3.6L, I can't help you.

If you're working with the 3.6L, you might as well get a Mopar filter.  I believe the part number is 68191349AB (those of you who have the Pentastar, feel freem to chime in.)  They're about $10/filter on Amazon.  Amazon also has shown me the best prices on motor oil (at least on 5 quart jugs).  It's hard to beat their prices some times.

WIX is owned by Dana.  I used to print price lists for Spicer, Perfect Circle, Weatherhead, and Wix.  We would change the Logo from Dana to NAPA.  Some of the prices were the same; some would increase or decrease a little.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
12 hours ago, RobW said:

i was thinking of getting a k&n oil filter, do get good results with it? i have a 2015 dj s/t

No need to pay a premium price for an overhyped filter when there are other options. Oil filters are oil  filters. Change your oil at the recommended intervals and use the filter of your choice.  Been following that logic for over 40 years now. Never had an issue. 

On 9/2/2016 at 7:42 AM, jkeaton said:

I use Fram from Walmart. Never had one single issue. 

here in Alabama the local walmart doesn't carry fram oil filters for the journey, also they dont  have any listing for the the battery size for the journey either, went to buy one and they said nope we dont list them so i told them the battery  group # and he said well we have that one but it would come without a warranty i just laughed at him and walked away, but as jkeaton said i to have used fram all my life in all my cars and never had a problem with them.....

• 5 months later...

have been using mopar oil filters in my journey always, i  did 6 off ebay from a dodge dealership and got a good deal so i was getting down to my last 2 filters went to check ebay again and they are all at least 10 or more unless you buy 12 of them and then they were still about 7.50 so i called my local dealership and he said 7 plus tax so went down and bought 3 more so check your dealer as you cant go wrong with mopar filters at least they cant say not covered due to the off brand filter in case of engine trouble...