Anyone Have a problem with the car not starting?

ValP

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem I'm having with their journey not starting? It started for me about two weeks ago. I drive somewhere and get stuck because the car won't turn over. Went to get gas and ended up towed to the dealership. It's been towed now 3 times and they can't tell me what's wrong with it?

Would love to hear from other Journey owners whether they've had the same problem and how it was resolved?

Thanks!

ValP

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem I'm having with their journey not starting? It started for me about two weeks ago. I drive somewhere and get stuck because the car won't turn over. Went to get gas and ended up towed to the dealership. It's been towed now 3 times and they can't tell me what's wrong with it?

Would love to hear from other Journey owners whether they've had the same problem and how it was resolved?

Thanks!

ValP

I was having a similar problem...I would turn the Key Fob quickly in the CAS unit and it would not start. ALso my panic alarm would go off randomly when i hit lock on my fob.

I found out from my dealer there is a TSB for the CAS (or win module) from Crysler LLC. they are suppose to replace and reprogram to repair the problem. It has fixed my problems.

Are there any other signs other then what you described? when you turn the ignition to on (not start/run) do the dummy lights turn on?

• 4 years later...

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. A message that the manufacturer sends to the shops when they know there is a problem but doesn't want to go as far as a recall. Some times it will tell them how to fix the issue. Most times you have to ask if there is one for the problem or look them up on line.

• 10 months later...

I think this is the problem I'm now having.

Put key in, turn and nothing but 1 click.

It's happened twice, first time engine was cold,

Second time was hot. Pep Boys ran diagnostics

And found nothing wrong. Any ideas?

What is a TSB?

Hi

I own a 2009 Journey and I have been having starting issues for some time now. Usually when it won't start I move the shifter back and forth back to Park and then the car starts right up, not sure what that is and I have also taken my Journey to the dealer and they can never find anything wrong with it. Sometimes in hot weather seems to happen more often.

• 1 month later...

I m facing the same problem n I checked on internet , lots of people are have this problem n I think its the company's responsibility to do something for us . Afterall we have invested dollars on it. We did not get it for free . So we should atleast get a recall on this problem. Otherwise we would quit dodge as it is not reliable at all. Hope the company does something for us. We work hard in this country to earn our living n at the end of the day who would like to spend this earning on towing n repairing the car n on top of it all the botheration n insecurity just cant take it anymore. Pls advice n find the solution for all of us having this problem . I would really b vry thankful on behalf of everyone out there . Pls find the solution for this starting problem n make us the proud owners of dodge journey . Pls give a recall for it soon

I m facing the same problem n I checked on internet , lots of people are have this problem n I think its the company's responsibility to do something for us . Afterall we have invested dollars on it. We did not get it for free . So we should atleast get a recall on this problem. Otherwise we would quit dodge as it is not reliable at all. Hope the company does something for us. We work hard in this country to earn our living n at the end of the day who would like to spend this earning on towing n repairing the car n on top of it all the botheration n insecurity just cant take it anymore. Pls advice n find the solution for all of us having this problem . I would really b vry thankful on behalf of everyone out there . Pls find the solution for this starting problem n make us the proud owners of dodge journey . Pls give a recall for it soon

Thank god you posted this three times... You do realize that this is a forum of enthusiasts and that Dodge is not affiliated with this site at all, right? You're also not likely to see a recall on an issue that is not safety related. I think I was able to wade through all of the made up words and partial words enough to understand your issue... Does it start when this occurs if you put it in neutral? I feel like I've heard that the transmission gear selector switch is the likely issue and that replacing it can fix the problem. I also recall something about installing a redundant ground to the transmission bell housing. Next time it happens try starting the vehicle while in neutral as this might be an indication that the switch is the issue. Are you taking this to a Dodge dealer when it happens or just a mechanic? Have you had any dialogue with the technician/mechanic about the issue? Any common issue on the 2009/2010 model is likely going to have a Technical Service Bulletin and a DODGE DEALER should be able to fix it up pretty quick.

Yes I always take it to cooksville chrysler at dundas. They updated its software again yesterday. Hope it works now otherwise I would try ur advice tho I tried starting it at neutral but it did not help. There r hundreds of people having same problem n If u read their reviews u would find different solutions people tried but in the end they all r standing at the same place. Nothing is working. We want some permanent solution to fix it

• 2 months later...

I have been dealing with this problem for almost a year now in hot weather and cold. Sometimes it starts the very next attempt, sometimes it takes a dozen or

two tries, but it does eventually start. I replaced the battery the first time, had it to the dealer a week later and the mechanic had to "jump" it to get it out of the

garage. He told me my battery was dead and needed replaced. I had the battery checked where I purchased the vehicle, they said one cell was bad and put

another new battery in. Of course this still did not solve the problem. Will try starting in neutral next time, I always start in park. They were thinking it might be

the starter, but I don't think this is the problem. Is there a TSB for this problem? Thanks for any help.

I have been dealing with this problem for almost a year now in hot weather and cold. Sometimes it starts the very next attempt, sometimes it takes a dozen or

two tries, but it does eventually start. I replaced the battery the first time, had it to the dealer a week later and the mechanic had to "jump" it to get it out of the

garage. He told me my battery was dead and needed replaced. I had the battery checked where I purchased the vehicle, they said one cell was bad and put

another new battery in. Of course this still did not solve the problem. Will try starting in neutral next time, I always start in park. They were thinking it might be

the starter, but I don't think this is the problem. Is there a TSB for this problem? Thanks for any help.

Are you getting any check engine lights?

Can they tell you if the wiring TSB for the '09 door loom has been

completed?

The wires in that loom would break and caused numerous electrical

gremlins.

Again the tranny gear selection switch causes these symptoms also

and has to be replaced/repaired.

Welcome to the forum. In your initial posy, you had zero information on your DJ. I was going to ask you if you hae key or push button start. I now see that you have a 2009 with a key, but mine starts with a button, so I probably cant help you other to say that your DJ no longer recognizes your key

• 9 months later...

my 2009 journey has the same problem....after it hit the 120000km (warranty to 100000km...)mark it started failing to start. the starter would just give a hint or a grunt of a turn of the engine, very intermitantly ...i have had the ignition replaced,....nope... i replaced the starter...nope... i just finished replacing the engine and the new one came with the harness attached (not a jod for the faint of heart..) nope... tomorrow i have an appointment to have a dealer flash the used computer (ECM ) from the journey the engine is out of to see if it cures the issue..it only has 50000km on it, if its fixed then the computers are designed to fail after warrenty..nice.

in the 90s mazda did that with the small pickups the check engine was designed to come on at 61k to 69k kms and if you had the extended warranty to 125km it was free to fix if not it was $100 and the light was designed to come on again at 130000km ... i have read up on the starting issues over the last year and most of the issues begin to occur near the end or after the warrenty is ended.. we do not have the option here of a lifetime coverage...the most we could buy was coverage to 100000km.