No starting, starts in neutral, clicking at ignition

2010 DJ SXT, 3.5 v6, 90K

as title states, will not start when turning key and DJ is in park. wiggle the shifter and still no start. just a clicking sound, almost like a dead starter.

shift to neutral and DJ will fire up. put it back into park when running. attempting to shift out of park while running, there is an audible click at the key location/ignition.

will start every time in both park and neutral after initial start from neutral position.

i read about a WIN recall but according to NHTSA, no outstanding recalls on this DJ based on vin number.

so, question becomes is this the WIN or is this the neutral safety switch?

sorry if this question has been asked but there are so many results when searched all pointing to WIN, corroded starter wire, neutral safety switch, etc.

There is a STAR case which deals with this issue. It involves replacing the Transmission Range Sensor (essentially the Neutral Safety Switch) and adding a redundant ground in the same circuit. We've done it a few times and it solves the problem.

Edited by Journeyman425

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Constant problem. I figured cycling the shifter by accident. Worked for a while then seemed to like a combo of pushing lock switch and child safty switch then starts. Or pull start run relay and switch with other relay . starts. Or put on charger  then  awe heck dance a jig click my heels together and say there's no place like home aunti Em. Starts! We transport our elderly neighbor to and from chemo + my parents this is all we have I have put 7k making this thing reliable but can't get this one for sure figured out. Nss? Had the t67 in out 3 times ( freeze plugs) dealership idiots .  I've had it to the dealership you came to the conclusion that they know things about this vehicle that they just won't tell you. And also that most dealerships are just Parts change out idiot and they're not real mechanics anymore and they won't tell you anything you didn't pay them for. Like giving me new coil over plug doesn't need a new coil over plug and then telling me it's an injector because it's still missing on that cylinder but it's only because they didn't seat the connector to the coil over plug. I figured this out after pulling the intake the fuel rail and replacing all the injectors because they told me it's an injector but they don't have any injectors. Probably because I've had it into their shop so many times and complained so much they didn't want to see me anymore. Would have been nice if they had just been honest and help me make it a dependable vehicle. They were hoping I'd get miserable and just buy one from them. Dreamers and shysters. I'm looking at the tipm everybody says this that and the other thing about it I think they're all full of s***. Just like they try to tell you they need to replace your starter. But when you jack around with it, it starts! so it ain't a bad starter is it? Recently had to have the power transfer unit changed out they put on new transmission lines cuz they made those leak. So many mistakes this could go on and on I'm sorry just so frustrated with this piece of s*** waiting to get the passive head restraint on the passenger side replaced under the recall extension. Just want to trade it in but now I'm going to lose my ass if I do so would really like to just to make it be more dependable and start without doing the dance. Is there any way to get this replaced by Dodge at no expense to me?

Get what replaced? The starter, tipm, the head restraint?  The entire car?  Electrical issues suck, I know.

Your obviously frustrated, and I get it, but your ride is at least 11 years old.  Maybe you just bought it, but it’s still at least 11 years old.  My 09 I bought in 08 will be 13 years old in July.  I am lucky, have a lifetime extended warranty, which FCA is losing their a** on with all the repairs done under that. If I didn’t have the warranty it would have been gone long ago. Sometimes you just have to bit the bullet, take one up the butt and move on.