Brakes - Watch out

mbardsley

I do all the telecommunications work for all the Enterprise Rent a Car sites, including the sales locations, and service centers down in Houston. I was talking with the service guys about some issues with the Journey's. The warned me to keep a close eye on the brake wear every 10k. they are running through brakes bewteen 10-12k average, and its just not pad replacement. In almost every case, they have had to turn the discs, or even replace them. The new Carivan also has the issue.

Just a heads up, I am at 11k, and sure enough pads are almost gone, thank god I looked before disc damage.

I do all the telecommunications work for all the Enterprise Rent a Car sites, including the sales locations, and service centers down in Houston. I was talking with the service guys about some issues with the Journey's. The warned me to keep a close eye on the brake wear every 10k. they are running through brakes bewteen 10-12k average, and its just not pad replacement. In almost every case, they have had to turn the discs, or even replace them. The new Carivan also has the issue.

Just a heads up, I am at 11k, and sure enough pads are almost gone, thank god I looked before disc damage.

Yea, most all of us know about this. Check out the Brake section below and you will see a few threads dedicated to the brakes on these cars.

I did a little diging with my service advisors help. Turns out the brake compound they are using on the brakes is the same compound they are using on the dodge caliber.....my service advisors thoughts is that the compound is to fragil for the larger wight it has to stop on the Journey, thus causing the pads and rotors to fail at an alarming rate.

I have jsut over 12000 miles and have replaced my pads with wagner ceramics....the only way to go is after market.

• 3 months later...

I HAVE 15,000 MILES ON BRAKES BEFORE I HAD TO REPLACE THE PADS.THE DISC LOOK GOOD.I PUT THE BEST PADS ON THIS TIME.

• 3 months later...

Just my two cents worth, and I'm not bragging, but I have 35,000 miles on my Journey and still have the original brakes and rotors. Now I'm proably close to needing some brakes and will have to turn my rotors. I'm not sure why others have a problem at low mileage and some last longer, my Journey was built in May '08 and I purchased it in Jun '09.

As a side note, the Journey has the exact same brake package as the Caravan and they are about the same weight (I'm not sure about the weight distribution), so I'm not sure why only the Journey would have brake problems.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to check is to jack the car up and pull the wheel off. If you've got the aluminum rims you can look between the spokes to see how much pad is left. Or just ask the oil change guys to have a look next time you're in.

Thanks!

The funny thing is while parking i heard the breaks squeak so i called the dealer and mentioned the quirk with the breaks and i believe they are going to repair them for me at no cost... hopefully!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I have 52K on a 09 Dodge Journey and just had my 3rd set of pads and rotors installed . Not sure where the garage gets its parts . ( think its NAPA.)

They where just done two weeks ago and there already warped. I don't ride the brakes and I don't hit them with cold water when I wash the vehicle.

They also throw off plenty of black dust. Its really getting to me!

I have had mine done twice now and I keep wondering if I should switch to ceramic pads? I know some guys on here have gone to ceramic but does it help on the journey?

I had a Chrysler rep actually tell me that Chrysler has had notorious issues with their breaking system in many of their vehicles and that goes for Dodge and Jeep as well.

With that being said i took the car to a break guy and he confirmed and told me there are rotor and pad combinations that are pretty cheap and the quality is way better... Probably get an extra 15k miles out of them.

So long story short... you will probably want to have them replaced with some after markets. My rotors are already warped because i am getting break squeaks so i am going to go with aftermarket.

Sorry Chrysler but this issue is unacceptable and an awsome veh like the journey should not squeak when you break.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 Journey R/T AWD with about 10,000 miles on it and am already noticing grinding and squishy pedal feel when braking, especially if braking hard. I also notice more brake dust on my rear tires than front so I think I may be wearing my pads/rotors out in reverse order. My one concern when purchasing this vehicle was the reviews I had read on the brakes wearing out to quickly. I see alot of owners here share my concerns and frustrations with the brakes on this otherwise pretty well built vehicle. Does anyone know of another option to solving this brake issue other than a complete brake system replacement every 20k? Is there an aftermarket rotor or maybe OE brake parts from another dodge vehicle that could possibly be used to replace/upgrade the Journey's sub par brakes?

Well I have 40,000 miles now and have just done my first brake job. The front ones defineitely needed it, but the back ones could have waited another 10-15K. I wanted to get rid of the brake dust, so I switched to ceramic and did all four wheels. I will say that the rear calipers seemed to be sticking because the inside pad was worn twice as much as the outer pad. Also my rotors seem to have a lot of life left in them and I should be able to turn them one time (for this brake change I bought a new set of Chrysler rotors) and then will turn the original set at my conveinience.

Just wanted to let everyone know that not all are having brake problems......Happy Motoring.

I usually have no problem with brakes even on cars prone to brake problems. This new R/T has had TERRIBLE

brake dust. It is the worst car I've ever owned for that. I thought my 03 Jeep was bad, but this is much worse.

So much so that at 1500 miles I went in and bought some Ceramic pads to replace these things tonight.

About 15 min of my time and another 15 to properly bed them in to the rotors and all seems better already. I bought

"LIFETIME" warranty pads at the same store that I bought the full ceramics for my Jeep. Just came back from a

decent length ride that would have produced some dust and I didn't see any. So fingers crossed!

Chris

I usually have no problem with brakes even on cars prone to brake problems. This new R/T has had TERRIBLE

brake dust. It is the worst car I've ever owned for that. I thought my 03 Jeep was bad, but this is much worse.

So much so that at 1500 miles I went in and bought some Ceramic pads to replace these things tonight.

About 15 min of my time and another 15 to properly bed them in to the rotors and all seems better already. I bought

"LIFETIME" warranty pads at the same store that I bought the full ceramics for my Jeep. Just came back from a

decent length ride that would have produced some dust and I didn't see any. So fingers crossed!

Chris

Let me know how those LIFETIME pads perform, I have always been a bit leary of those, but I never tried any. I'd be interested in knowing how long they last between changes, and what they do to the rotors (are the pads a bit harder)?

Thanks....

Let me know how those LIFETIME pads perform, I have always been a bit leary of those, but I never tried any. I'd be interested in knowing how long they last between changes, and what they do to the rotors (are the pads a bit harder)?

Thanks....

A few other folks have bought them here and have been pleased so far. I just want the brake dust to be less than the originals. I'll watch and see how they fair and how the dust problem does also. Looking at my Jeep, I am very pleased at the wear and the lack of dust.