Accident now car won't start

Friday I had an accident. Somebody ran into me. From the outside only the bumper fender and light on the driver's side are damaged. I was able to drive home without trouble. The next day I tried to start car gavecme some trouble but finally started, yet engine light was on. Turned off car right away. Couple of hours later a friend tried to start it to see what was wrong and nothing.the key unlocked the doors headlights cam on but the car was not able to detect the key to start. Dash stayed dark other than informing me the key could not be detected. Insurance is slow...can't get to the car till Wednesday to even give me an estimate. Other party no insurance just trying to figure out what kind of repairs I am looking at. Thanks

You'd be surprised at how much damage can be done by a "minor" hit to the front corner. Last year, I got hit while stopped at a light in the front left corner, and the final repair list included:

front bumper cover

driver side fender

driver side headlight

radiator core support

mis-aligned hood

paint for all affected parts

time spent on a frame rack to re-align lower frame rail

4 wheel alignment

All told, it was about $4,000 worth of damage (I insisted on OEM parts and refused to allow the shop to use anything else - someone else was paying for it, and my car was 27 days off the dealer lot).

Does Georgia have (and do you carry) uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance coverage? If so, did you get a police report/witness accounts of the collision?

Located on the negative battery cable is a device called the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) which provides information to the PCM for controlling battery voltage. Mine was damaged in our accident which also was a driver's side front impact, but much worse than yours - enough to cut the battery literally in half. Anyway, once the car was all repaired and a new battery installed, it still wouldn't start because the IBS had been damaged. More than likely, one of the cables has been damaged or knocked loose in your case, but make sure the insurance adjuster and bodyshop are aware of the IBS in case it has been compromised.

Update. So the battery was busted. Half of the front end needs to be replaced. They have not even gone very much further inside the hood. I assume I will lose my mind before all this is over.

Now now, lets no go nuts just yet! Plenty of time for that.

Just remember, no one got hurt, you both have insurance, and its just a car. Could be alot worse. I know you are not happy about it, one of your prized possessions was violated due to someone else's carelessness. Id be pissed too. When you get it back, it should be good as new. Bodyshops have come a long way! Keep the faith!!

Now now, lets no go nuts just yet! Plenty of time for that.

Just remember, no one got hurt, you both have insurance, and its just a car. Could be alot worse. I know you are not happy about it, one of your prized possessions was violated due to someone else's carelessness. Id be pissed too. When you get it back, it should be good as new. Bodyshops have come a long way! Keep the faith!!

Other party does not have insurance.....