Liftgate Electrical Issues

Hello,

I am having some issues with the electrical in the liftgate of my 2012 Dodge Journey Crew

I noticed about a month ago that the liftgate no longer locks. If I close the liftgate and press the lock button the doors all lock but the liftgate does not. I did some testing there was no sound from the actuator when lock or unlock were pressed but when I used a multi-meter. It actually appeared that was constant power to the actuator and when the buttons are pressed the power leaves for a second. I mentioned it to a friend and he seemed to think it just needed a new actuator.

I pulled the latch assembly out to try to find a replacement but didn't have enough money to replace it at the time so I reinstalled it.

A while later I noticed the button on the liftgate that locks and unlocks the door stopped working. If you press it none of the doors will lock or unlock but they still do with remote and front door handles.

A couple days after that it was raining and I tried to put on the rear wiper and it wouldn't come on.

Now I don't really care about the rear wiper or the button to lock unlock but I would kind of like my liftgate to lock! My issue is.... if I spend the money to put in a new latch assembly will it even work? I have a friend with experience in car wiring. Does anyone have a good link to a wiring diagram? Any thoughts where to start?

One of my thoughts was I noticed a second wiring connection in the latch assembly. I assume it's there to tell if the latch is closed. I'm wondering if I damaged those wires when I removed the latch assembly?

The car is at the shop today getting oil change and brake work. The mechanic offered to take a quick look at it for me. If he doesn't see anything then hopefully Saturday I will be able to test the wires with my multi-meter. I still need to get my hands on a wiring diagram.... I'm thinking alldatadiy is probably best for the diagram unless someone can suggest something else?

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

First post here just for this topic.   

I bought my '12 used with 56K in 2017 from a used car dealer that I have bought a total of 4 vehicles from.  I purchased an extended warranty for it when I made the deal.  Shortly after driving it for a bit the rear liftgate would not lock and occasionally the doors would not want to lock completely.  I would have to hit the lock button 3-4 times to completely lock them.  I took it to the used car dealer and they claimed to replace the body control module under the extended warranty.  

Fast forward until several months ago, the rear defrost stopped working and then the rear lock stopped working again.

The final straw was I had a taillight stop working and my state inspection is due in a month or two. 

I took a look at it this weekend and found where they used a couple of butt connectors and mended three wires in the harness boot where the door meets the body.  I spent the next hour fixing it right by adding primary wire and soldering and heatshriking the connections then wrapping the entire wire bundle with electrical tape as much as I could with the boot being compressed back as far as could manage.  I feel like this is better than factory with the extra support of the tape splinting it all together.  Now everything works as it should.

welcome to the group, 2 places for likey broken wires you found one of them and the other places is at the rubber boot between the drivers door by the hinge,glad you were able to fix it right, most repair places only do what they have to do to get it back out the door,,,take care and hope you have many yrs of driving