2016 Dodge Journey Blacktop

jaymista

Does anyone have a link where I can get a story about the new "Blacktop" model? I may be purchasing one this week but I know don't much about it. I just like it. Well, especially since my wife drove our 2015 SXT off the road and totalled it. She came out with 1 confirmed scratch on her nose and lots of aching bones.

Edited by jaymista

How about this link which highlights the US variant:

http://www.dodge.com/en/journey/packages/#blacktop. . .

The Blacktop package up here gives you the following over the Canadian SXT:

19-inch Gloss Black aluminum wheels
Air conditioning with tri-zone automatic temperature control
Black headlamp surround, gloss black mirrors, fasica and grille
Front/rear aimable LED lamps
Hands-free communication5 with Bluetooth® streaming audio
SiriusXM satellite radio with one-year subscription4
Touring suspension
Uconnect® 8.4 multimedia centre

The Dodge Canada web site doesn't show the Blacktop for 2016.

Or, just shoot straight for the Crossroad. Not 'as' blacked out, but very well equipped, pretty much a Limited, but with leather instead of cloth seats and they aren't heated.

Edited to reflect the fact that you are in Canada.

Edited by bramfrank

I'm not sure if there were any changes after 2014 or between US- and CA-spec models. Our 2014 Redline 2-coat Pearl SXT Blacktop (technically SXT Plus with Blacktop appearance package) has the black grille, black headlight bezels, black mirror covers, black front fascia lower grille trim (in place of the standard silver piece), black roof rails, black wheels as part of the Blacktop package. Being an SXT plus, it also has the 8.4A radio with BT calling and music streaming and Sirius, dual-zone automatic climate control (I believe the tri-zone is for 7-passenger models, ours is a 5-passenger), and LED interior reading and dome lamps. Can be ordered as 5-passenger, 7-passenger, 4-cyl/FWD, 6-cyl/FWD or AWD.

Interestingly, I thought Blacktop couldn't be ordered on an R/T. I participated in a local car show at a Chrysler franchise in September and at the back of the lot was a Redline 2-coat Pearl R/T with all of the Blacktop trimmings on board. No window sticker to indicate if that was done at Toluca, but that dealer doesn't upfit cars, so I'm assuming it was ordered that way.

We got a good deal on ours because nobody wants Blacktop Journeys... at least in PA where it was purchased. It was on the lot for two months.

There's a huge difference between the US and Canadian models.

For example, the Crossroad cannot be ordered with a 4 cylinder engine, the R/T is ONLY AWD and only the Crossroad can be ordered as FWD or AWD - and lots more. For 2015 most models are ONLY available as 7 passenger.

That's why I edited my reply to reflect the Canadian reality for the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I had been covered in the accident by insurance and I upgraded to an R/T because when the dealer went looking for a car, I had asked for a Blacktop, AWD, and a backup camera. He searched around to other dealers and came back with an RT, silver in color, with the AWD and backup camera but not a Blacktop. So I took the deal which meant moving up from a 2015 SXT to a 2016 RT. It is a really comfortable car driving on the highway and has most of the bells and whistles. Yes, I found out that you could get a Blacktop RT but it might have to come in as a special order.