My insurance co calls my journey a Sport Wagon , not cuv or suv

Billy Billy

Mine calls it an SXT - apparently that's what the VIN codes as, so I sent them the window sticker and the bill of sale, since I have replacement cost insurance and they can be really difficult in the event of a claim - I had a total loss of a van about 12 years ago and they fought me on the model, trying to low ball the replacement vehicle, since they have the option of replacing the vehicle with a new one of the same model.

I won in the end, but have found that it is easier to put the paper in place before there are any questions, in case they try the 'we thought it was the base model' excuse in the event of a problem.

This has been discussed to death. Seems like all insurances designate them differently. CUV, SUV, Sport wagon. While truly a CUV, no one seems to agree and the lines are getting blurred. BTW, my insurance classifies it as a "Journey Truck".

I was thinking the same thing today watching all those suvs cuv etc go bye how so many are kinda blurred in size and looks but if I was to say the closet competitor for the journey is, I think the Dodge Journey is right in line with the Hyundai Santa Fe as far as size, how many people it carry and height ! I look at both but went with the journey because it had the higher rebate " I am a rebate shopper " and I like hoffman dodge vs massey Hyundai , Hoffman is just the better dealer for my needs

Edited by Billy Billy

Technically an SUV is a true body on frame vehicle. Yukon, Expedition, etc. back when they made them using the truck frame. A CUV is a unibody. But it seems no one worries to much about acronyms anymore. The Ford Explorer used to be a true SUV when it was made on the Ranger frame. Now it's unibody. But people still call it an SUV. Same with the Durango which used to be on a Dakota frame.

Edited by jkeaton

that is interesting. I dont know if sport wagon would make it cheaper or more expensive to insure but mine runs 105 a month for 6 months with 250 ded . I was thinking about changing my ded to 500 to see how cheaper it would be. I kinda feel like I pay too much but state farm so far is the cheapest !

Mine runs 45 a month with a 250 deductible and 100 comprehensive through State Farm

Mine runs 45 a month with a 250 deductible and 100 comprehensive through State Farm

$350 every 6 months. $200 deductible, zero deductible comprehensive. Allstate. Been with them for over 25 years.

dang those are low for full coverage . Not to be noisy but are you two over the age of 50, I know age plays a major part in rates as well as location too . I moved two blocks up the street this past march and my ins drop 5 dollars a month cause of that ! Plus I always have been told credit score plays a major part on rates which I think is dead wrong as credit score should not play a part in rates.

I think I need though to call my agent now and bitch lol

Edited by Billy Billy

We are on a plan that is not offered by Allstate anymore, but they are honoring the terms, rates and conditions. I have 6 vehicles on my plan. 3 of which are full coverage. My son (23) and daughter (20) both have full coverage on their cars for the same rate as our DJ, so with the plan we are on, age makes no difference. Nor does being male or female. The rates are the same across the board. The only time it was expensive for them was when they first started driving and had the "inexperienced driver" surcharge which added about $50 a month for 3 years. They had to remain accident and ticket free for 3 years, which they both did, thankfully.

I keep liability only on my car, truck and my daughters beater car. Liability costs about $150 every 6 months.

Location does make a difference in big metropolitan areas. For example, in the DC area, there is a big difference in rates if you live inside the beltway compared to living outside the beltway. Credit score also plays into the picture.

Remember, insurance companies are nothing more than financial institutions. The sad fact is, they are in business to make money and they make money, a lot of money. And they don't part with it easily.