Engine questions

Mike Koppler

Hi I have a 2013 Dodge journey r/t with a little over 35k miles and I have two questions.

First question, do these things always run really hot? My temperature gauge is normally half way and not overheating, but this thing puts out so much heat from the engine.

Second question, I read about the whole engine ticking at cold start-up, but what about after its already warmed up, should it still continue?

No issues with temps or ticking for me. What are you comparing "really hot" to? If it's not overheating and the gauge is in the normal range then it is not "really hot". You should check your coolant level though or have the system flushed if you think there is a problem.

Edited by jkeaton

Well this is normally for me, no ticking on my though... but on the temperature you can feel the heat come from under nit and specially from the side of the coolant recipient... but always at the correct point.... this type of car operates a significant high temp... compare to others...

• Official Dodge Support

Mike,

It sounds like your vehicle should still be under warranty, so I'd recommend a trip to the dealership before hitting that 36,000 mile mark to have your DJ diagnosed. As others have said above, this could very well be normal, but it still may be a good idea to have it checked out at a dealership.

From the service manual it self: "The water pump draws coolant from the radiator and delivers it to the engine block. The coolant travels through the engine block into the cylinder head. Coolant exits the engine at the thermostat. If the coolant temperature is

less than 87°C (189°F) the thermostat directs all of the coolant back to the water pump. If the coolant temperature is between 87°C (189°F) and 102°C (216°F) the thermostat is in the mix mode and directs the coolant to the radiator and the water pump. If the coolant is greater than 102°C (216°F), the thermostat directs all of the coolant to the radiator."
Also a good indication of high temps is excessive use of the fan on high speed frequently, starting and stopping...
RADIATOR FAN OPERATION - 3.5L ENGINE
Radiator Fan Control A/C Pressure
A/C Off Low High
Fan On: 102°C (215°F) 104°C (219°F)
Fan Off: 98°C (208°F) 100°C (212°F)
A/C On Low High Low High
Fan On: 102°C (215°F) 104°C (219°F) 1,526 Kpa (221 psi) 1,932 Kpa (280 psi)
Fan Off: 98°C (208°F) 100°C (212°F) 1,246 Kpa (180 psi) 1,666 Kpa (224 psi)
if your indication is at the middle is normally and also you could say that close to 100 degrees Celsius is normal. to monitor this value very close you would need to plug one of those OBD2 to monitor. But as DodgeCares above says if you have any doubts take it to a dealer especially if it is under warranty.

From the service manual it self: "The water pump draws coolant from the radiator and delivers it to the engine block. The coolant travels through the engine block into the cylinder head. Coolant exits the engine at the thermostat. If the coolant temperature is

less than 87°C (189°F) the thermostat directs all of the coolant back to the water pump. If the coolant temperature is between 87°C (189°F) and 102°C (216°F) the thermostat is in the mix mode and directs the coolant to the radiator and the water pump. If the coolant is greater than 102°C (216°F), the thermostat directs all of the coolant to the radiator."
Also a good indication of high temps is excessive use of the fan on high speed frequently, starting and stopping...
RADIATOR FAN OPERATION - 3.5L ENGINE
Radiator Fan Control A/C Pressure
A/C Off Low High
Fan On: 102°C (215°F) 104°C (219°F)
Fan Off: 98°C (208°F) 100°C (212°F)
A/C On Low High Low High
Fan On: 102°C (215°F) 104°C (219°F) 1,526 Kpa (221 psi) 1,932 Kpa (280 psi)
Fan Off: 98°C (208°F) 100°C (212°F) 1,246 Kpa (180 psi) 1,666 Kpa (224 psi)
if your indication is at the middle is normally and also you could say that close to 100 degrees Celsius is normal. to monitor this value very close you would need to plug one of those OBD2 to monitor. But as DodgeCares above says if you have any doubts take it to a dealer especially if it is under warranty.

He has a 2013... I'm pretty sure you can monitor most, if not all, of the important temperatures from the EVIC display in the dash...

Emmissions is another reason for the higher engine temps. All manufactures try to reduce emmissions by running higher temps from what we are use to. A hot engine is a cleaner, less pollutant engine. Its been a common question on Ramforumz. Folks with 3.6 Ram have been complaining of temps over 230 degrees. Its normal and not anything to worry about.