What are the economics of Flex Fuel?

Jerry in TX

So if I understand flex-fuel vehicles can burn e-85 gas, which is 15% ethanol and is cheaper than regular 10% ethanol gas. But ethanol has less energy so it takes a little more gas to go the same distance - very generally speaking.

So has anyone done a real-world analysis or data logging of their flex fuel vehicle to see what the difference is between burning the two different gasolines?

In other words, should I care about flex fuel when searching for a Journey to buy?

No !!

Several owners here have and concluded it is a non starter.

You have to be careful of using the latest generation of FlexFuel

with higher alcohol content as it appears to be very detrimental

with regards to engine components.

You may care to FUELLY.com to see if they are tracking Flex.

Edited by bigtsr

If you compare the lower cost with the lower mpgs, it probably comes out even. Gas here was $2.22 last week but jumped to $2.95 because of a refinery problem in Northern Indiana, near Chicago. They are worried about demand. My DJ gets twice the mileage than my Nitro did. If everyone is driving cars newer than 2011, demand is down. Who are they kidding, anyway?

E-85 is completely pointless. The lower energy content versus E0 and E10 reduces the fuel economy enough that it costs you more to use E85 than standard regular gasoline (E10 or otherwise). Yes, studies have been done. One of the car rags tested a flex-fuel Tahoe, driving it from somewhere near LA to Las Vegas. It made it to Vegas on one tank of E10 just fine, and returned to CA. They then drained the fuel tank of all E10, and refueled with E85. They filled a couple of jerry cans as well, worried that it might run out. Their worry was well-founded, as it indeed ran out and they needed both cans to get to Las Vegas, in the middle of the desert. They crunched the numbers with the round-trip economy figures collected and found the cheaper-by-the-gallon E-85 cost them more per mile than the E10 did. Moral of the story, don't buy the hype. If any car I buy in the future is flex-fuel and comes with an extra charge for that feature, the dealer will be removing that charge, removing the flex-fuel equipment AND the charge, or there will be no deal.

E-85 is completely pointless. The lower energy content versus E0 and E10 reduces the fuel economy enough that it costs you more to use E85 than standard regular gasoline (E10 or otherwise). Yes, studies have been done. One of the car rags tested a flex-fuel Tahoe, driving it from somewhere near LA to Las Vegas. It made it to Vegas on one tank of E10 just fine, and returned to CA. They then drained the fuel tank of all E10, and refueled with E85. They filled a couple of jerry cans as well, worried that it might run out. Their worry was well-founded, as it indeed ran out and they needed both cans to get to Las Vegas, in the middle of the desert. They crunched the numbers with the round-trip economy figures collected and found the cheaper-by-the-gallon E-85 cost them more per mile than the E10 did. Moral of the story, don't buy the hype. If any car I buy in the future is flex-fuel and comes with an extra charge for that feature, the dealer will be removing that charge, removing the flex-fuel equipment AND the charge, or there will be no deal.

So you're undecided then, eh? :)

Most of the equipment for E85 is rubber seals, and things like that; anything that alcohol can break down. The boating industry got hit when some States wanted to go to E20. The alcohol would start eating the fiberglass gas tanks, and this slop would eventually find its way to the engine. Not a good idea.