HID LIGHTS ON 2015 JOURNEY CROSSROADS

The warm up time for HIDs make their use in high beams an issue - and if you have DRLs that use the high beams (Dodge has them both ways; DRLs on the turn signals and DRLs on the high beams) then they won't work properly at all.

That's why vehicles with factory HIDs do not have them in the high beam reflector.

Doing a retrofit is more legal than putting those.dumbass bulbs in your reflectors. And hid bulbs tend to wash out just a tad from their original color after 1000's of hours. And if u wanna see at night go buy hir bulbs for your stock housings. Hid will fit but they are.not.designed for reflectors. If you cause an accident at night cause you bind on comin traffic your at fault look at my gallery

Yup blue dyed regular bulbs . . . . . hopefully you did NOT order the 100 watt version. But you did not get HIRs.

I've been drawn in by the thread - I just ordered a set of HIR1s and HIR2s for the DJ. $73 delivered for all 4 bulbs.

Where did you order from?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any HID output pictures against a wall. I want to see how the cutoff is. Without projectors.

Also has anyone actually split the stock headlights? I see a lot of people buy ebay ones and split them, basically want to know if they are impossible or not. I have retrofitted a couple Fords with permaseal and didn't find them too difficult, I am hoping these are the same.

Thanks, and new to the forum and dodges. The wife is picking up her Journey Crossroads AWD tomorrow night, so planning the mods ;)

I have, I could only find two output pictures (against the wall), one looked horrible and the other had a good cut off.

I also found a lot of threads where people ordered new lights to retrofit due to most using butyl.

This isn't my first forum, but thanks for the tip.

Edited by vozaday

The reason why I ask is because I like to do testing for myself. If the cutoff is a tight as the one picture I found from the DJ in Asia then it would be worth testing the amount of light is actually scattered. There are quite a few halogen reflectors that are perfect for HID's. One that comes to mind is the Jeep JK, scatter was only a third increase from a regular bulb. Not enough to even notice, unlike some where there is 2-3 times the scatter. If it is like the second one I found, it isn't worth my time or effort. It had absolutely atrocious output. So between the two I need a few more examples to justify the money.

But I plan on doing a D2S retrofit and since I already have the black headlights, I don't see the need to buy a second set.

Edited by vozaday

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at yours, they look really good. Did you use the stock housing on any? Or just aftermarket? Has the bulb fitment improved with the 7.0? Last mh1 I did was the 5.0. I like the light output of the D2S better, plus the option to run 55w in them. But the ease of the mh1 really makes it worth it also.

Edited by vozaday

Thats why I went with the mini h1. Super easy. And yes the 7.0 that co ss out in the new year is 5x better than the 5.0. Bigger bowl and much better output. Even better than the 6.0 what I have now. And yeah I have the blacktop version which came with the black housing already. Only painted the reflector red. Md2s requires drilling and cutting in our lights. It can be done but you better it right the first time

Im starting to see more and more that the DJ forum is not a forum for those who want to customize. Rather speak on the good and bad of the vehicle. I get it in a sense. Some vehicles have an aftermarket platform that just goes with customization and doing things that others can appreciate. Ill tell the O.P. this. Do what you want to your vehicle. Its yours, you pay for it. Now days doing things to the vehicle that didnt come with it like Hids you will always get the nay sayers and the do it the right way guys will always have something to say. I think i heard something earlier about someone saying good thing i was taught never to look into headlights. Thats the friggin truth, there is a reason cars make auto dimming mirrors. Or have that little tab that helps combat vehicles with bright ass lights.Honestly you can get blinded by bright ass lights period. I had a F150 with standard halogen lights but in the right spot behind other cars i would always get the question if i had my high beams on cuz i was blinding them when i was behind them. When all it really was, was the fact that my big ass truck behind your little ass car makes my lights look brighter in your mirror. And when i owned my Acura TL with factory 4500K hid lighting would blind people head on just because some foolish people want to look dead into them. Sure you can always say use Hids with the proper set up. But IMHO its all on the kelvin of the bulbs you use. You get the closest to an OEM as possible and aim them right shouldnt be to much of a problem. Anything over 5000k is bright. So go for man. You want that look, then do it. Its not fake if you bought it. Make it work for you. Take pics and be happy. Some will hate, some might like.

I will refrain from posting pics of the headlights, although with the square projectors and shrouds, it did turn out good. But here are some output shots of the projectors themselves. Now this was done with an iPhone so don't expect that great of photos. I should also mention that the lights don't look even, that's just because j was on my gravel driveway. The hot spot was what blew me away, very well focused.

post-12106-0-13055900-1444002949_thumb.j

post-12106-0-75640300-1444002966_thumb.j

Edited by vozaday