Hi Everyone. New to the Forum and considering the 2015 Dodge Journey. Advice?

DodgeMD

Hello from Maryland,

I am the father of three small children and I need a vehicle upgrade. I have always been a fan of Dodge and after doing research and seeing what it has to offer, the 2015 Dodge Journey is my number one pick. I have been looking at a lot of vehicle comparisons and found this one to be pretty informative.

http://www.waldorfdodge.com/dodge-journey-vs-ford-explorer-waldorf-md.htm

Before going through with actually purchasing the vehicle I thought I would reach out to the community and see what you guys have to say.

Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome to the forum. If you can afford it, go with the V6, because of the weight of your family. I am usually by myself, and have to feather the throttle, or I'm constantly breaking the front wheels loose! When I first laid eyes on my DJ, I knew I had to have it! The color blew me away. I was concerned about not having AWD, but did not need it at all. After reading comments on the forum, I put new tires on mine: Bridgestone Duelers. They were excellent in the snow, and I'm not carting the extra weight of AWD. A day may come when I wish I had it. But, so far so good. I'm almost at the one year mark with a little over 5,000 trouble free miles. I love the looks. I think that the Copperhead Pearl should have been exclusive to the Crossroad, IMHO! I have seen a few Crossroads this past year, but they somehow don't look right!

Edited by dhh3

Welcome to the forum. I would have to agree about the V6. It's an absolute treat on the highway and the Journey itself is definitely a great choice. i have a 2013 SXT and have 58,000 kilometres (36,000 miles) and it's been a pleasure to own. I also have the Copperhead Pearl but I don't think it's available for 2015. One thing that I have that I wouldn't order again is the GPS, not because I've had problems, but for the lack of free lifetime updates. My wife and I did an 8400 mile tour of the U.S. and Canada in 2013 and it performed like a trouper and very comfortable. Best vehicle we've ever owned.

Edited by rolly

Hi DodgeMD,

Not sure what your budget is, but check insurance rates. All of the vehicles I put thru my insurance (Kia, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Honda), came up lower than what I'm paying for the DJ. Never thought to run the DJ vin with insurance, just figured it was a cheaper vehicle, and therefore would be cheaper on insurance. Even when I dropped my insurance roadside (big mistake) I still pay more for the DJ in insurance. Might be the poor crash test ratings? My MPG is no where near 16, in fact my EnvoyXUV got 20-22 city, the Hummer2 I'm driving now gets no less than 20mpg city. Rt5 is going to eat gas with all those lights, yes, I'm local to you. My next vehicle will have a loaner agreement, I don't think Waldorf Dodge does that? Jones Junction, which is further out will meet you 25 miles out, do a loaner swap and let you on your way. Beats being without a car when you need service.

BTW, not sure exactly what you're looking at a far as model, but those DJ's have been on Waldorf lot since December when I was buying. I just looked at Criswell DJ's and they're better priced, and you may get another rebate that they hadn't added. Their SE's are regular 29K going for 21 and some change. AWD/V6.

Edited by Dee

Sport Wagon? *giggles* more like a station wagon. I'm so over this vehicle. The last straw was being on the side of the beltway last weekend, calling roadside about my spare dangling, and could they send someone to either remove it, or tighten it. NOPE, it's not flat we'll have to tow you to the dealership. I thought she didn't understand. Had I not just had surgery I'd of done it myself, so after getting on the ground to see if I'd be OK, I couldn't get up, ended up cutting my hand on something, just a mess. So I call my insurance roadside and asked what they would have done. They would have only towed if they couldn't get it to go up or down or other damage. But, then again they make no money by taking me to the dealership like Dodge would. They do take loss if the tire comes off and rips my bumper or hits someone else. BTW, ever feel how flimsy the bumper is in the middle underneath?

So, PRO's;

Nice storage space

CON's;

More for insurance,

Doesn't get 16MPG's,

Will have to pay through my insurance for roadside so I don't get stuck,

Squirrely take offs (jumps left then right, then pulls right on hard acceleration),

Smells of cheap plastic,

I look at the meat on the door handle, I'm convinced it's a piece of covered folded over cardboard,

Any adult passenger riding in the back seat must have insurance, I'm not paying for blood clots due to lack of leg room,

Low crash test ratings,

The vehicle is just cheap, but it's my fault for not thoroughly checking it out and going by the cheap price, just thought I was getting a deal like I did on the Envoy..

The old saying "The cheap comes out expensive."

Well unlike Dee we love our journey. We don't have kids yet but we do have 2 dogs and at times a third that traveled with us. We bought a large soft crate to fit them all that fills the entire third row and still have plenty of room for all our baggage and more. The V6 has plenty of power for the size of the vehicle, if you don't have a lead foot like me you can have a very smooth take off. Gas mileage wasn't a major concern for me. I would have kept my Avenger if that mattered, it had the same V6 as my journey and was a lot of fun to drive. The journey is really just a larger body on the same frame. We opted for the third row and for the average adult there is plenty of room in the third row. As long as the people in the middle don't feel the need to be slid all the way back they can be comfortable back there. The AWD is a must here in Minnasnowta. We only got to test it or once since we bought it at the end of winter but it was great having 4 wheel drive again, handled very well in 6" of snow. We have put almost 5k miles on since February and no problems yet, only had to go to the dealer to get the towing wiring harness flashed after I installed myself. The only thing that bothers me is that they put LED task lights in the cabin but in the lift gate they have the yellow incandescent light bulbs. I've been looking for a good LED to replace the with. All in all its a great vehicle, insurance was maybe $15 more than my Avenger but my Avenger was a 2011 FWD.

Glad to see everyone liking it, I won't have trouble getting rid of this one then, lol Like I say, I went down in comfort, safety, and class, and paying more. Something wrong with that picture. As far as room goes, the Envoy could hold a queen mattress, flat, without a problem, I brought home a riding lawnmower on the back, no problem. I initially planned on giving this to my brother, not a chance with the crash test ratings, I'd never forgive myself if something happened, I can afford better for him, along with he'd never put up with the low MPG. I wouldn't mind the gas, if it had something other than cubby holes to offer. As far a dogs go, funny, with the Envoy my rottie couldn't wait to jump in. The DJ, doors open she just walks around it after the first ride, she even knows, that's why I'm driving someone else's Hummer until I decide what to do. It's all good, I'm finding I'm going to be in a hell of a tax bracket this year, a donation like this could even the playing field.

I think I've finally found the first person ever to actually like their Envoy/Trailblazer!! I have personally know 3 different people that have owned them. None were worth a crap. In fact, one was so bad they bought a Ford, which they absolutely wouldn't have ever owned before they bought their Envoy. All had nothing but problems with them around 80k miles or so. From lots of electrical gremlins to water pumps and water leaks inside the suv. And all had front suspension issues. And all loved them when they got them. Btw, dee, if you wanted a comparable vehicle, it would have been a Durango. A Journey would compete with a Terrain. Completely different price and size class.

LMAO at rolly, you haven't been right yet. I guess it takes a lot testosterone to like cheap plastic?

My Truck before the Envoy was a Chevy S10 Blazer, Country Conversion, 10 years no problems with that. I know of 2 Durango owners and they've have nothing but problems, and I won't buy another vehicle that's ending the model. That's what happened with the Envoy, didn't make the parts any longer. You'd have to buy a used tailgate for a motor, and hope the motor was good. One window motor on the Envoy, 10 years. And there was only one major fix on the Blazer in 10 years. Oh well.....

Again, nothing that can't be fixed *wink*

Well, I have to throw my hat in the ring as another very pleased Journey owner. Mind you, I've only had it about 6 weeks atm, so maybe my opinion will change as time goes on.

2015 Dodge Journey Limited. V6 comes standard in the Limited, (would NEVER consider a 4cyl in a vehicle this of this size) Here in the Great White North, the 3rd row seating is also standard on all DJ's now. For my particular needs, the 3rd row was set up once at the dealership, and will probably never be set up again, but that's just me... have no need for 7 passenger seating anymore. Altho, the rear heat/ac has come in handy already, As for fuel economy, I'm getting about 26mpg to the US gallon.

had a 2011 3 row seat dual air journey and loved it. traded it in for a 2015 crossroad 2 row seat with the front only air and love it.BUT as said before i miss the extra air -heat for the rear if i lived up north or out west where the heat and cold was more pronounced i would opt for the dual air. other then that i get at least 19 city or better and 24 hwy or better but i don't take off like a rocket from a stop. great car has some blind spots but her then that i love it. the caravan will give you a little more room with the kids and all their luggages and toys with all the same things the journey does but not as sporty looking. give it a try before you buy also the 2016 will only come with a 5yr 60k power train as the 2015 will still have the 7yr/100k powertrain warranty....

You can not compare an Envoy to a DJ. An Envoy is an SUV build on a truck frame - S10. Full frame. Separate body. The DJ is a crossover, unibody - no frame - based on the Avenger.

Dee, aren't you the member that bought the brand new 2013 in 2015? The reason that you are having so many problems is that your DJ might have spent some time under salt water during Sandy. These are not supposed to be resold, but crunched. But, any way to make a buck! You know how the game goes.

dhh3, I looked at the 2013, again, I thought I was getting a bargain, I ended up with a 2015. The price was cheap on the 2015, I see why now.

Hey bama, first; your name fits you, can't help if rednecks have no class, you should try and better yourself princess.

dhh3, I looked at the 2013, again, I thought I was getting a bargain, I ended up with a 2015. The price was cheap on the 2015, I see why now.

Hey bama, first; your name fits you, can't help if rednecks have no class, you should try and better yourself princess.

My god... go away. You spout off about how big of a piece of shit your DJ (because you bought the cheapest model available with the smallest engine available) and then when NO ONE agrees with your synapses you go off on your high horse talking shit about said members? You are a joke at best. Trade in your DJ and move on already... we are all done listening.

Also, for the original poster, my DJ gets 24 mpg mixed driving (mostly city), rides nice, is comfortable and not cheap inside (many luxury car owners were surprised by the fit and finish of the interior), has plenty of room for grown adults in the back seat (middle row) and handles heavy loads quite well. As with any FWD vehicle (mine is actually AWD) there is a little torque steer if you step on it from a stop, but nothing that is unacceptable and as far as crash rating go the DJ got all 5 stars on five of the 12 tests performed by the NHTSA (4 stars on the rest) and a "Good" rating on all of the IIHS crash tests. In my opinion (and any other rationale human being's opinion), this car is an overperformer for the price point and while not necessarily a luxury vehicle, it can compete and beat every competitors offering. Sorry for my tirade.

Smallest engine? aww another one that is clueless, I have a V6 in the piece of crap tyvm. But you boys just say anything to chest thump, lmao

I see where Dodge got it's advertising from, Honda used toys to get the youngins', Dodge used a sock puppet, so, tell us, was it the sock, the puppet, or the monkey you related with?

Nothing I've written isn't the truth, BTW, resale is low on the DJ.....must be the fuzz they use s carpeting?

Smallest engine? aww another one that is clueless, I have a V6 in the piece of crap tyvm. But you boys just say anything to chest thump, lmao

I see where Dodge got it's advertising from, Honda used toys to get the youngins', Dodge used a sock puppet, so, tell us, was it the sock, the puppet, or the monkey you related with?

Nothing I've written isn't the truth, BTW, resale is low on the DJ.....must be the fuzz they use s carpeting?

go away - definition and synonyms

to move or travel away from a person or place

If he’s bothering you, tell him to go away.

to stop existing or being noticeable

The pain should go away in a couple of hours.

For those who don't know, you can click on your username in the top right corner of the screen and select "My Settings". From here click on "Ignore Preferences"... This tab allows you to enter the username of people whose very existence bothers you and from who you would rather never see another post or private message. It makes things quite peaceful when you don't have to deal with idiots... :yahoo:

Yep, just best to totally ignore her type. Bye bye little lady. BTW, our 09 SE (4 cylinder, base model) netted us an AMAZING $8200 on trade in (with 86,000 miles on it). Take your cheap bash talk elsewhere. There's a nice facebook group more suited to the whiners and complainers, "Dodge Journey Awareness" group. You should check it out. There's a ton of people just like you on there. Sooooo, K BYE!

Dee, I use the MPG calculator on the small center screen. I rarely go on the freeway. I reset it everytime I fill up. Initially, I was getting 13 - 16. Now, 5,000 later, I get between 17 - 21, depending on the number of red lights. Mine is FWD, 3 rows. You are experiencing torque steer, where it wants to pull the steering wheel out of your hand. This can be easily be solved by both front 1/2 shafts being the same length. The old chassis the DJ is based on may not have allowed for this. I just keep a tight hold on the wheel with my right hand when I know that it's going to do it! If you are experiencing torque steer all of the time, then you are killing your MPGs with your wild take offs from a complete stop.

I have read a lot of bad press on the DJ but I am completely satisfied with mine. People look at it all the time. I have even been asked if it was a Jeep!