Trying to buy pads and rotors

I went to the parts store to buy front brakes and rotors for my 2012 dodge journey and they told me there are two different styles a BRE and BRF. I do not know what it has so I decided to bring them in and match them up. as i was getting ready to take them apart i noticed that the pads are wearing about a half inch from the edge of the rotor, I dont think this is supposed to happen. My question is how do I know what pads to get? I don't think the right parts are on there now and if I just bring what I have to the parts store to match them up I will be putting the wrong parts back on again.

Midway through the 2012 model year FCA put larger brakes on the DJ. The simplest way to know which you have is to measure the diameter of the disks - along with larger pads came larger disks.

The old ones at 302 mm and the new 330 mm.

Thanks for your reply. I have the larger rotors 330 mm I think someone may have put the wrong pads with the heavy duty rotors. Is this possible? It just seems that the rotor should be wearing all the way to the outside.

i would think it is not possible to use the smaller pads as they would not fit into the caliper correctly as they would be to small, if your not sure of what size pads or which ones you have take your vin # to the dealership they will be able to tell you which ones you have.. and take some pics with your phone or camera to show the dealer what you are talking about... good luck and keep us posted

Vin is the best way to go, funny part about my situation was I was given the right rotors and the smaller pads from the dealer, actually had to go back and get the larger heavy duty ones, at least the dealership didn't charge me the difference in price cause of the inconvience.

I called the dealer and got the brake code it is the BRE. You can tell because the BRE front rotor in the front is 330mm wide the BRF are 305mm, any recommendations on where I can order some decent pads and rotors?

I'd just go to a local parts store and buy some mid-grade rotors and pads. Ordering them, if something is wrong or whatever, it's a pain, plus the way they throw around packages, one could get damaged. Buy from a local parts store and usually get a decent warranty, lifetime usually on pads. I'll buy a lot of stuff online, but brakes, I just buy local.

• 4 weeks later...

Right in someway but wrong in another. I just got a brake kit going according the MDT 021518 of my DJ R/T I should have the BRF and happened to be that 2012 Models, not by MDT but by the model have different types of brake systems and my DJ R/T has the BRE not the BRF. Now with pain in my heart I must ship back the brake kit upgrade I had for my DJ.