Maybe in 14 more years?

Journeyman425

300k is seriously impressive. The body work on that looks flawless. My 2010 T&C just passed 90k. It's getting new plugs and a serpentine belt later this year. It's already got new calipers (but they at least carry a lifetime warranty now). I'd be happy if I coul dkeep it half as long as your 300M!

My 300M, unlike the Journey, has never been hit. Luck has as much to do with that as anything else. My wife really deserves most of the credit. Yes, I am responsible for all of the maintenance and for its appearance care (read: I am very anal about it as you could guess!) but she is a very smooth and consistent driver. She's put probably two-thirds of the miles on the car in a manner that is very conducive to longevity. She's easy on the throttle and brakes, doesn't corner on the door handles, and almost always parks on the end space. So, between her good driving habits ( mine aren't so bad, either) and my working in an ideal maintenance environment combined with a really well-engineered car and here we are, with a car that has outlasted the payment book by twelve years!

Actually, the 4.0 was based off of the 3.8 OHV V6 that was used in the minivan. The Nitro came standard with the 3.7 V6 that was used in the Dakota and the optional engine was the 4.0. The only other variant of the SOHC 3.5 was the 3.2 that came in the Concorde and Intrepid.

The Electroluminescent gauges in the 300M were shared with the LHS of the same years. I love their look and have never tired of it. I used to love to go for night time drives when the car was new just to look at the instruments!

The 3.5 is a good engine. There were some issues in 2002 with incorrect rod bearing torque from the factory on some engines which resulted in catastrophic failure. Chrysler quietly recalled several 300M's and offered the customer a replacement engine or a new car, believe it or not. They quickly identified the affected production sequence and went right to work on damage control. Other than that very limited issue, it's been a very good engine.

Correction - you are right, dhh3 - the 4.0 is a variant of the 3.5, not the 3.8 as I stated earlier. Had a brain fart. Went back and researched it and you are correct. The 3.8 and 3.3 share the same architecture.

Edited by Journeyman425

300m looks way better than the fugly 300c

I tend to agree (of course :) ) I personally feel that the 300M is a modern classic, but naturally that is a highly subjective opinion which many will dispute. I never tire of its looks and they always catch my eye on the road (which is happening less and less with each passing year; it has been out of production for eleven years now) You should see what some of the guys have done with theirs over on the 300M Club.

Awsome! Would be nice to have these in the DJ.

The tach is flanked by the fuel gauge to its left, and the speedo has the temp gauge to its right. In my photo I was just trying to capture the mileage moment. But I have always loved the font and styling of the gauges. They are clear and easy to read at just a glance. Ever try to read the speedometer in the Journey? Unless you are going 20,40,60, 80, etc MPH then you've actually got to study the needle position to determine your speed. That's why I keep the center display set to MPH. I think the styling of the 300M's gauges would clash with the overall look of the Journey, but a more modern font set on a similar electroluminescent array of dials would indeed be cool. Maybe even in a red/black lighting pattern in keeping with Dodge's signature colors.

That's one thing that I don't like about my Journey... my 300M Special calls out the speed in increments of 10, while the Journey does it in 20.

I definitely agree on the design being a modern classic. That is why my Special is only a fair-weather car now, so I can keep it for as long as possible. We have thunderstorms today, so hopefully that washing of the roads, and my getting further along in my rear bucket seat conversion, I can finally pull out my Special and stretch her legs. She hasn't touched asphalt since November 8th, 2014! I hate making her sit for 5 months out of the year. The driving dynamics and style can't be beat, even by newer interpretations of the 300.