Accident magnet

bfurth

I don't know who or what I've angered, or what I may have done, to earn this stretch of impacts to my Journey. I was the third car in a 3 car collision (with me stopped at a light) that probably totaled both other vehicles (first guy's hood is jacked up and it was leaking coolant and oil post impact, front airbags deployed, second car had both passenger side curtains deployed, the entire passenger side is bowed in about 5 inches). My front bumper, driver headlight, and driver fenders re all damaged, the hood is out of alignment, the passenger fender is rubbing the hood, and the steering wheel is 15 degrees off (noticed while backing up to clear the street).

I haven't even made the first payment on this thing, and it's been hit TWICE! This is what I get for washing my car for the first time.

post-10702-0-24043600-1427070291_thumb.j

post-10702-0-15736200-1427070300_thumb.j

post-10702-0-31926300-1427070311_thumb.j

post-10702-0-97205200-1427070319_thumb.j

I owned an accident magnet once - five hits in a year and not one my fault. The insurance company quietly suggested I get rid of it and buy something else or they'd drop my coverage (we have no fault here, so there's no recouping payouts from the other party).

I did. And have not been involved in a car accident resulting in anything more serious than a scrape in the intervening 25 years.

It doesn't help that the other two drivers are dragging their feet in getting their statements to their respective insurance companies. I've got a proposal for them - the other companies split the difference and each pay half of what is needed to fix/replace (if necessary) mine, then fight it out between the two of them for who pays back what to each other. I'm the only person involved who is absolutely not at fault, so naturally I get screwed waiting for mine to get fixed.

My insurance company won't even start an inspection without me first agreeing to the deductible! Meanwhile, I'm without my Journey. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy freaking birthday to me! (no, seriously) Not how I intended to spend this week.

So, agree to the deductible on an interim basis - subject to adjustment once the others get their statements filed. And put that in writing, with a disclaimer explaining that, based on the physical evidence you are categorically not at fault in any case and that you are only doing this to get the process started.

Next year go with a different company.

So, agree to the deductible on an interim basis - subject to adjustment once the others get their statements filed. And put that in writing, with a disclaimer explaining that, based on the physical evidence you are categorically not at fault in any case and that you are only doing this to get the process started.

Next year go with a different company.

The collision coverage process through any other insurer would be the same, given the circumstances (3 cars, 3 insurance companies, one car clearly not at fault - me - and the other two blaming each other). I've spoken to reps from all three companies, they all agree I'm definitely not at fault (I was stopped at a red light, my only involvement in this was being in the wrong place at the wrong time). What they don't agree with yet is who is at fault. Ultimately, I'm inclined to believe fault lies with the 87 year old man who did the initial t-boning of the other vehicle (second vehicle was making a left turn, and I'm about 95% certain she had a protected left turn signal), but that's just me.

No insurance company is going to let the deductible go without being paid if the initial payment comes out of their fund. It will eventually be paid back to me through subrogation, I just don't want to have to put the money out up front. I've got another kid on the way (#3), and simply don't have the time or money to have to deal with all of this. Not dealing with vehicle repair nonsense is precisely WHY I bought a new car!

I've used the body shop that my carrier would recomend before - they're good. They also warranty the repairs for as long as I own the vehicle.

Instances like this are why I like having an insurance guy rather than a company... Yes, it is paid through the company, but having an actual representative that you have been with for years and who knows you and your circumstances provides leeway with things like this. They tend to go a little more out of their way to make you happy. Hopefully the other parties involved get their shit together. Good luck! And...happy birthday.

The insurance company for the driver who did the t-boning (Liberty Mutual) has at least gotten statements from all three drivers now. They're waiting to hear back from the county police (trying to get to the officer). They told me that right now, they're currently getting 4-6 WEEKS to obtain copies of police reports (which according to the county can only be delivered by mail, and are $15/copy - hello?!?!?!? It's the 21st century!!! Automate this stuff!!!), so they need to speak to the officer directly to speed things up. Ultimately, they all need to talk to the witness (guy who was following the Acura that got hit first) who was ALSO making a left turn. His statement is all that is needed to assign fault, and then the rest of this gets bundled up nicely.

In the mean time, I'm out $500 because I don't want to wait a month to get an answer as to when I'll get my car back.

Lobitz - I understand your point about dealing with a particular person. However, I've been with GEICO for about 6 years now. Before them, I was with USAA. GEICO's service for me has been every bit as good as USAA had been in the past (and anyone who's ever dealt with USAA knows what high praise that is). The reason I switched was GEICO had a rate that was significantly lower at the time due to a university alumni association credit. As it stands now, no one can get within $200/year of what I pay through GEICO (for two vehicles). Good customer service (as good as one can expect from an insurance company), and the absolute rock bottom price available? Yeah, I'll stick with them (until someone matches one and beats the other - it matters little to me which is which).

The insurance company for the driver who did the t-boning (Liberty Mutual) has at least gotten statements from all three drivers now. They're waiting to hear back from the county police (trying to get to the officer). They told me that right now, they're currently getting 4-6 WEEKS to obtain copies of police reports (which according to the county can only be delivered by mail, and are $15/copy - hello?!?!?!? It's the 21st century!!! Automate this stuff!!!), so they need to speak to the officer directly to speed things up. Ultimately, they all need to talk to the witness (guy who was following the Acura that got hit first) who was ALSO making a left turn. His statement is all that is needed to assign fault, and then the rest of this gets bundled up nicely.

In the mean time, I'm out $500 because I don't want to wait a month to get an answer as to when I'll get my car back.

Lobitz - I understand your point about dealing with a particular person. However, I've been with GEICO for about 6 years now. Before them, I was with USAA. GEICO's service for me has been every bit as good as USAA had been in the past (and anyone who's ever dealt with USAA knows what high praise that is). The reason I switched was GEICO had a rate that was significantly lower at the time due to a university alumni association credit. As it stands now, no one can get within $200/year of what I pay through GEICO (for two vehicles). Good customer service (as good as one can expect from an insurance company), and the absolute rock bottom price available? Yeah, I'll stick with them (until someone matches one and beats the other - it matters little to me which is which).

Wow... Annoying.

I am in a "no fault" state, so that likely speeds things up quite a bit too... And, my "guy" is actually the lowest rate I've found, though I'll admit I haven't looked in a while. Maybe I should.

"No fault" means everyone's rates go up as a result of a collision. How wonderful that the lawyers decided to do that for you.

Shop around when it's time for your policy renewal. It won't hurt. If you find a lower quote, go back to your "guy" and see if they can price match. Competition is always a good thing.

Got a quote from my insurance (they will subrogate after fault is determined, but everyone else is moving too slow for my liking) - $2,000 in damage (so far). No evidence that they've seen of frame damage, but they won't know for sure until it's been disassembled. All things considered, it's not as bad as I thought.

"No fault" means everyone's rates go up as a result of a collision. How wonderful that the lawyers decided to do that for you.

Shop around when it's time for your policy renewal. It won't hurt. If you find a lower quote, go back to your "guy" and see if they can price match. Competition is always a good thing.

Got a quote from my insurance (they will subrogate after fault is determined, but everyone else is moving too slow for my liking) - $2,000 in damage (so far). No evidence that they've seen of frame damage, but they won't know for sure until it's been disassembled. All things considered, it's not as bad as I thought.

My wife has been in a couple small accidents and our insurance has never gone up.... Maybe it's the accident forgiveness or whatever. 2 accidents in just as many decades between 2 drivers isn't that bad I guess... especially since they were both minor.

EDIT: Just looked it up... No fault refers only to personal injury.

Edited by Lobitz68

My wife has been in a couple small accidents and our insurance has never gone up.... Maybe it's the accident forgiveness or whatever. 2 accidents in just as many decades between 2 drivers isn't that bad I guess... especially since they were both minor.

EDIT: Just looked it up... No fault refers only to personal injury.

Most companies I've seen around here (Maryland) do accident forgiveness for the first incident of an at-fault collision. After 3 years, they legally cannot hold a claim against you for determining your rate. 1 accident every 10 years? If insurance companies could guarantee that rate of incident for all drivers, everyone's rates would be dirt cheap.

Most companies I've seen around here (Maryland) do accident forgiveness for the first incident of an at-fault collision. After 3 years, they legally cannot hold a claim against you for determining your rate. 1 accident every 10 years? If insurance companies could guarantee that rate of incident for all drivers, everyone's rates would be dirt cheap.

between the 2 of us, so really .5 accidents every 10 years... I guess I'll keep her for now.

So, finally some news!

NO frame damage. That was my stopping point. Everything else can be repaired properly with OEM parts, but the frame is what it is. Anything that was damaged is a bolt-on component, so as long as they're replacing with OEM (which I have assurances from the body shop that they are), I'm ok with it.

The full damage list is:

Front Bumper:

front bumper cover (replace)

lower air deflector (replace)

reinforcement (replace)

Front Lamps:

driver side headlight (replace)

Hood:

hood (re-allign, re-paint)

Fender:

driver side fender (replace)

passenger fender (re-paint)

Radiator Support:

radiator support (replace)

evacuate/recharge refrigerant

It needs an alignment, and may have some damaged suspension components (which they won't know until everything else is done), but the big news is that it is fairly light (considering what it could have been). The worst theing they can tell me from this point on is that the transmission was affected (so fine, replace it with factory new if that's the case) or that the steering components need to be replaced (again, use OEM, and I'll be satisfied).

The body shop has agreed to provide me with copies of the invoices for every part they install on the vehicle (it's a good shop, but I still want documented proof of all parts being OEM).

Body shop has got it in paint now - they started painting on Friday. Three stage paint = 3 days to paint the vehicle. Fun stuff.

So, one more day of paint (tomorrow), then alignment in the morning on Wednesday, and I should get it back Wednesday afternoon. Then it's off to the dealer to get an appraisal done so I'm loaded for my diminished value claim. Yay - more paperwork!!! :banghead:

Well, it's not going to be ready today. Got a call from the body shop that they were doing the wheel alignment now. It was delayed because of two things - one other vehicle they had issues with, and they had to take off all the body panels after it was painted because the bumper wasn't lining up right. It wasn't lining up right because the front frame member was out of alignment (ie, frame damage) that they hadn't discovered until that point. The bumper cover was 3mm off due to the damage. The damage adjuster from my insurance company (because the likely at fault party's insurance company is STILL dragging their feet) authorized the repair WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE! :censored:

How crazy am I for going back to that damage adjuster and A ripping him a new one for not informing me of this, and B start talking about them replacing it?

Edited by bfurth