I want to purchase the factory navigation system

Which radio do you have? If you have the 8" screen, the rear camera will work with it. Save some $. Use your cell phone for Navigation!.

The camera is around $350.00. The radio with Nav is around $2,000. + installation. They have to remove 1/2 of of the dash, interior panels on the drivers side, left rear interior panel, left third row seat and gate interior panel to install the camera.

I made a deal with my dealer when I bought my DJ. Dealer paid for the camera, I paid for installation. Service Manager said $178.50 so that is what I was quoted and paid. They had my car for 4 days, not counting the weekend. Book said 2 hrs to install camera. Book is obviously wrong. I was lucky. I even got a rental.

Edited by dhh3

Most dealers really don't appreciate the nuances of an upgrade of this type - this can work for you or against you because if they quote low, you can hold their feet to the fire and make them honour their quote. Alternatively, they can mess things up pretty badly or they can start pulling things apart that don't need to be.

Adding navigation isn't complicated if you already have the 8" screen and SiriusXM (there is a non-SiriusXM 8" radio listed, but I don't believe that model is available for the Journey in North America); All you would need is the radio module itself, which resides behind the air conditioning controls - the CD/DVD player is part of the module, to give you an idea of just where it is located.

The module can be had for prices that usually vary between $650 and $1250 or more, depending on where you get it.

If you have an RE2 (8" non-navigation) radio in your vehicle now, then all you will need is the radio module itself. Its installation requires all of about 5 minutes and an unlock code, which can be had from a friendly member of the board. Once unlocked you would have your navigation, plain and simple. Assuming you want it you would have the SiriusXM subscription moved from your old radio to the new by calling SiriusXM. Features such as heated seat control, daytime running lights and so on, which are controlled via the touchscreen will continue to work.

However if all you have is the 4.3 screen then you are getting into a serious upgrade - in addition to the radio module, the screen would need to be replaced, the light sensor module at the center of the dash would need to be replaced and, if you have rear air conditioning, there is another sensor to install. If you didn't have Sirius you'd need to add in the satellite antenna. The controls below the radio would need to be replaced and the sales code for automatic air conditioning would need to be flashed.

Like the other external-but-controlled-by-the-radio features, if you already had the backup camera it would automatically work with the new radio, as would any other features such as heated seats. But you don't, so the point is moot.

Adding the backup camera costs about $265 for the OEM kit and requires about 3 hours of your time to install (or you can pay about $700 to your dealer and let him provide and install it). You will need to pay the dealer to activate it in any case - I had mine also do the connection of the wiring harness to the radio connector up front because the pins in question already had wires in them and if there was going to be a problem with the wiring harness down the road I wanted it to be Chrysler's problem (I wish I'd been able to find the other end of that wire, because I'd not have had to run the cable down the left side to the rear) . . . . I paid for one hour of shop time (which is what they were going to charge me to add the sales code anyway) for making the connection AND adding the sales code.

As was suggested, depending on what you have it may be a lot easier to just put a $150 Garmin navigator on the dash and plug it into the cigarette lighter and leave it at that. Then just order the feature when you buy your next car (and if you wait until 2018 backup cameras will be standard - starting in 2018 every new car in North America will have them as standard equipment).

Edited by bramfrank

• Official Dodge Support

I just bought a 2014 Didge Journey SXT. It didn't come with the navigation and I am trying to find out where I can purchase the factory navigation system for it with a back up camera. I've searched everywhere but can't find it. Can someone please tell me where I can get it? Thank you.

Nicole Sposato Torees,

Welcome to the forum.

As the other members mentioned, adding a navigation unit is possible however there is a lot of labor and cost involved for the factory unit.

Speak with your local Dodge dealer for pricing, this may help influence your decision.

Again - and not to try to contradict what DodgeCACares and dhh3 wrote, if your vehicle is equipped with the 8" screen already and has the ability to receive SiriusXM then the navigation upgrade is as simple as it gets - about 10 minutes and it involves a torx screwdriver and a trim tool (you can use a screwdriver or knife with a cloth over it).

And since I've done both the nav upgrade and installed the OEM backup camera I know what's involved from personal experience.

If your configuration differs, then adding the OEM navigation becomes more involved. You can add the backup camera to either 8" radio (RE2 or RB5) - it is just a matter of spending a bit of time and a couple of dollars thrown at the dealer to turn the feature on after it is installed.

I've posted a link in another thread in the infotainment forum describing where I located a navigation radio on eBay for US$500 plus shipping - your dealer would want thousands for that module.

Edited by bramfrank

Buy a phone holder and attach to the dash. Insert phone into holder. Say: "Okay Google, navigate to (say address)".

Sent from my HTC One M8

Exactly what I do. When the phone is hooked via Bluetooth, it even dims the audio when it fires out commands to turn, etc. I got a nice Insignia mount that clip to the center vents, and the USB charges the phone while using it for NAV. The phone will stay on for the entire trip.

A phone on the dash won't display video from a backup camera.

I did not say anything about the phone being used for a backup camera. I said that I was using my phone as a Nav unit. My backup camera works fine as long as I keep the lens clean.

You can have Nav in the factory radio, but not necessarily a camera. I was trying to save him some $. Buy the camera, not the Nav radio.

Complex electronics can have issues. I bought an RB5 nav radio and added the backup camera, like the OP wanted to do. I paid about $500 for the radio module, and if it should die, I can probably replace it for the same money, though so far all is good for me.

Yes, if you take the vehicle to the dealer and pay their asking price for a non-warranty replacement you will be out a LOT of money, but there are services 'out there' that repair these things and, of course for a non-trivial, but much lower amount than the dealer would charge you could just buy another.

If I used an iPhone as my navigator and it died, an unsubsidised replacement phone is likewise not cheap. That and I'd probably be chewing up data.

But I have commented in the past that given it's large assortment of very expensive electronic modules, an extended warranty is almost a necessity for the modern automobile that is beyond the factory warranty yerm - not just the Journey, but virtually everything on the street these days.

I have never had Nav in my radio for the simple fact if one goes out, you have a very expensive replacement. There are a lot of non-Nave radios out there (people seem to want Nav in their radio) for a lot less $ than the combined unit.

• Official Dodge Support

Again - and not to try to contradict what DodgeCACares and dhh3 wrote, if your vehicle is equipped with the 8" screen already and has the ability to receive SiriusXM then the navigation upgrade is as simple as it gets - about 10 minutes and it involves a torx screwdriver and a trim tool (you can use a screwdriver or knife with a cloth over it).

And since I've done both the nav upgrade and installed the OEM backup camera I know what's involved from personal experience.

If your configuration differs, then adding the OEM navigation becomes more involved. You can add the backup camera to either 8" radio (RE2 or RB5) - it is just a matter of spending a bit of time and a couple of dollars thrown at the dealer to turn the feature on after it is installed.

I've posted a link in another thread in the infotainment forum describing where I located a navigation radio on eBay for US$500 plus shipping - your dealer would want thousands for that module.

bramfrank,

Good info!

Thanks for clarifying further, ie: there are different options for doing this depending on the vehicle equipment.

:)

• 3 years later...

Okay so I have a 2017 Dodge Journey, with a 4.3 radio and it does have SiriusXM radio. Now I don’t have uconnect but want the 8.4 in screen non navigation. Now I don’t like hooking my phone up to car so I don’t reLly want uconnect. Do I have to have uconnect to upgrade to the 8.4 non navigation? Thanks in advance!

On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎16 at 7:17 PM, Esty1988 said:

Okay so I have a 2017 Dodge Journey, with a 4.3 radio and it does have SiriusXM radio. Now I don’t have uconnect but want the 8.4 in screen non navigation. Now I don’t like hooking my phone up to car so I don’t reLly want uconnect. Do I have to have uconnect to upgrade to the 8.4 non navigation? Thanks in advance!

First of all, the entertainment system is uconnect, so you DO have it.  Bluetooth is a subsystem and s in a module located above the steering column under the dash - you can't add Bluetooth in any case without a lot of trouble.  While You *can* upgrade to the 8.4" radio and display there are compromises, unless you already have auto air.  If you want Sirius XM and don't have it now you'd also need to change the antenna and cable going to it.

It is a pain to implement and likely to be expensive with the plastics and such (you can always strip the parts you need from a vehicle in a scrap yard to get costs down).  But it isn't as if it will get you much more than display of old album covers when you stream MP3s when all if said and done.

• 10 months later...

Quick question, I have posted on other threads my update to the Nav radio in my DJ donated from another car.   Does anyone have the sales code the dealer can add to my VIN?  All the other Add-ons I have installed are loaded with the sales codes (back-up and remote start).  Also, any word on the pesky DRL sales code yet for the north American  2015's?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 4:53 AM, martyman.geo said:

Quick question, I have posted on other threads my update to the Nav radio in my DJ donated from another car.   Does anyone have the sales code the dealer can add to my VIN?  All the other Add-ons I have installed are loaded with the sales codes (back-up and remote start).  Also, any word on the pesky DRL sales code yet for the north American  2015's?

No sales code required for he RB5.  You will need to have the radio unlocked.  You can source the code for that and enter it yourself or you ca pay he dealer for it.

As far as anyone knows, there's no way to add the DRL code.

• 2 weeks later...

Bramfrank,  Thank you for your response. I wasn't sure if they could add a sales code for the radio or not.

But, I was able to source the RB5 unlock code for $3.00 on a well-known auction website with just the radio model number and serial number (located on the sticker on the radio). 

We can only dream to see LMK return?!  LOL!  I will be going to the dealership for an alignment this week and at the same time ask if LMG code is available for the auto headlights.  My usual service advisor gets a laugh every time I come in to check if different codes are available. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a shocker, the dealership I usually go-to for all my maintenance needs seemed to have changed out their service advisors' brains or I am just too much for them as a valued customer.   usually, the advisors will open up the program showing my vehicle info and possible options for service codes.  This visit, they let me know they can no longer access the program.  Only the parts department or technician in the garage has access to it.  Maybe next time?

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, bramfrank said:

2013+

Thank you I was able to obtain a 2013 Dodge Journey RB5 today for $275 from a local part place, Works great and was fairly easy to install, only thing thats not appearing is the more button and travel link but I havent updated the unit yet to the newest software yet. Will be doing that this thursday or friday

3 minutes ago, dubby88 said:

Thank you I was able to obtain a 2013 Dodge Journey RB5 today for $275 from a local part place, Works great and was fairly easy to install, only thing thats not appearing is the more button and travel link but I havent updated the unit yet to the newest software yet. Will be doing that this thursday or friday

If you don't see the more button (behind which is the Travel Link) it usually means that your vehicle is flashed as a Canadian unit - and they can't (or won't) change the relevant sales code if that's the case

As to updating the software?  I wouldn't bother  If the unit doesn't show the 'can't unlock maps' message you probably have a unit that works fine, or which was one of th troublesome ones, in which case it will already have been updated.

I leave mine at CTP13 - no reason to put it up to the current version..