Finally got chance to install HIDS

Mikes14sxt

• 3 weeks later...

That dangerous man. Sure it seems bright. But lookat the glare. Your going to cause an accident because people can't seem and you would be at fault for your hids. If your want to run hid I suggest you do what I did. A retrofit. Go to theretrofitsource.com and educate yourself on safety for lighting. I'm telling you on e you upgrade to a projector you'll be saying what was I thinking......

You can give the adjustment screw about 2,2-1/2 turns down. Still get great light so you can see but you won't be blinding everybody else.

Why spread such fictional nonsense? The light still scatters everywhere regardless of how low you aim them... You may not blind people as bad, but you are still blinding them.

Why spread such fictional nonsense? The light still scatters everywhere regardless of how low you aim them... You may not blind people as bad, but you are still blinding them.

Not nonsense, it worked fine for me. Driven in front of my DJ and have no more light blinding then by any other car. Maybe you feel only dealers should make any changes to any car? Close all aftermarket shops! Make everything illegal unless it comes from Dodge!! Oh yes, btw, the dealer offered HId as an upgrade when I bought the car. Wow, same kit I used....

Not nonsense, it worked fine for me. Driven in front of my DJ and have no more light blinding then by any other car. Maybe you feel only dealers should make any changes to any car? Close all aftermarket shops! Make everything illegal unless it comes from Dodge!! Oh yes, btw, the dealer offered HId as an upgrade when I bought the car. Wow, same kit I used....

I'm with you, had HID's on the DJ for over a year now...have never been flashed by anybody. I've driven in front of my DJ several times in my low commuter car. Never had any issue with the brightness. They are definitely no brighter than any other HID vehicle out there. This is with 35W DDM HID's.

You just gotta watch out for the HID nazies :).

It is illegal to outfit headlights with anything other than DOT approved HIDs. If your dealer offered the upgrade they either had a different housing that was designed for the APPROVED hid bulbs, or they marketed them as "offroad". I guess there is the third option that they are knowingly breaking the law, but that seems unlikely.

As far as having dealers do stuff and closing down the aftermarket, you are about as far off base as possible on that one. I have HIDs in my DJ, they are just installed in a projector retrofit that was designed for the bulbs. There is ZERO comparison between improperly fitted HIDs and those that were done correctly. Once you have had a properly installed set, going to a plug and play setup is inferior and would never feel like an upgrade.

Your tirade makes me laugh... why so worked up, I never dogged your setup?

I'm with you, had HID's on the DJ for over a year now...have never been flashed by anybody. I've driven in front of my DJ several times in my low commuter car. Never had any issue with the brightness. They are definitely no brighter than any other HID vehicle out there. This is with 35W DDM HID's.

You just gotta watch out for the HID nazies :).

I'm not being a Nazi, in fact I could care less what people do to their car as long as it doesn't put me in danger. To say that aiming them down gets rid of scatter is a blatant lie though. The light will still scatter even if you point them straight down at the ground... It's a simple fact that this will happen since the focus of the oem housing is aimed taking into account the distance from the housing to the "hot spot" in the bulb. This measurement is different on an aftermarket HID and no matter what you do (outside of somehow altering that distance), there will ALWAYS be scatter. No amount of saying "I don't get flashed" or "I've driven in front of my car and it's fine" will change this simple fact.

I have yet to see a single article about HID's leading to car crashes, have you? Come on now, we all know the stock DJ housing doesn't scatter nearly that bad at all. We've all seen the horrendous hondas and ricers where yes, the scatter is horrible and right in your eyes. But the DJ isn't bad at all...I would never call the DJ stock housing dangerous with 35W HID's (I don't know about 55W). Not all of us have the money to retrofit projectors. Of course I would LOVE to have them, just too cheap to get it done. Not knowledgable to do it myself.

I've said it in previous HID bashing threads, there are many things out there that are illegal that people do to their vehicles. I don't see threads bashing on people with too dark of tint, bald tires, stock DJ undersized brakes (LOL), etc. This is just one of a dozen plus things that people consider illegal and that may consider dangerous. Do what you want to your vehicle. As long as you aren't killing people (once again, we all know the stock DJ housing isn't going to do), then it's your own butt if you get pulled over for it.

I do find it hilarious that the Dodge sticker on the inner driver door frame says the vehicle is equipped with HID's. I would show that to the cop if I ever got pulled over for HID's.

I have yet to see a single article about HID's leading to car crashes, have you? Come on now, we all know the stock DJ housing doesn't scatter nearly that bad at all. We've all seen the horrendous hondas and ricers where yes, the scatter is horrible and right in your eyes. But the DJ isn't bad at all...I would never call the DJ stock housing dangerous with 35W HID's (I don't know about 55W). Not all of us have the money to retrofit projectors. Of course I would LOVE to have them, just too cheap to get it done. Not knowledgable to do it myself.

I've said it in previous HID bashing threads, there are many things out there that are illegal that people do to their vehicles. I don't see threads bashing on people with too dark of tint, bald tires, stock DJ undersized brakes (LOL), etc. This is just one of a dozen plus things that people consider illegal and that may consider dangerous. Do what you want to your vehicle. As long as you aren't killing people (once again, we all know the stock DJ housing isn't going to do), then it's your own butt if you get pulled over for it.

I do find it hilarious that the Dodge sticker on the inner driver door frame says the vehicle is equipped with HID's. I would show that to the cop if I ever got pulled over for HID's.

Once again, not arguing that the DJ housing scatters less or bashing people that do it, just saying that they still scatter a lot. Look at the signs well above the vehicle in the pictures posted above... they are lit up like no tomorrow... that is the light that is is oncoming driver's faces. Also, look at the beam pattern on the ground, there is a TON of scatter. My ONLY point was that no matter what, there will be scattered light using the stock housing. Aiming it down does not somehow get rid of the scatter. This is MUCH better than some of the stuff I see every day...

BTW, you could easily retrofit some projectors in your headlights for $200-300, spending nearly a thousand bucks is not necessary...

I thought the same thing when I saw that sticker. Ha!

I had HID low and high beams in the 09 DJ because those stock headlights were just simply aweful, I mean to the point of seemingly having no headlights at all on a dark, rainy night. And, yes, I got flashed, alot. The 2013 headlights seem to be much better, so I have not thought about upgrading. I have HID's in stock housings on my truck, but only the high beams, so I can turn them off when cars come at me. I'm thinking about doing that on the DJ. Just the high beams only. No way in the low beam stock housings. I respect my fellow driver. BUT, with HID's in the high beams, when some ricer somes along and blinds me, I can blind him right back..... :lol:

Once all the dust has settled, what would be the best replacement bulbs for the high and low beams?

I do not want to open my housings; just change the bulbs. I think that I could go to one of the Auto Part Chains to have the replaced.

Edited by dhh3

HIR's are your only option if you want more output without modifying anything or putting in HID's. Any other bulb brand is going to be crap, you won't get any more lumens on the road, no matter what the silverstars, etc claim. And they have super short bulb life.