Breaking it in

Jick Nordan

Not to be a smart ass, but did you check the oil? Did you reset the oil change reminder? I don't know if that would matter, but who knows. Maybe you put too much, or not enough oil in? It can happen to the best of us. I have not seen this here before. Like bigstr mentioned, maybe a wire got knocked off something. Good luck!

I didn't mean to imply you were not competent. I was only offering a suggestion on your post. Did you ever get interrupted in the middle of something and miss the obvious? It's happened to me, but maybe I'm incompetent! Who knows? Maybe you knocked a wire off reaching for the filter, removing something, etc. good luck.

Ps: my V6 takes 5 1/2 quarts to the top of the fill line on the stick.

Edited by OhareFred

We can start with the dumb questions make sure I didn't overlook something.

Removed and replaced filter first. To include gasket.

DrainEd oil. Put Plug back.

lowered vehicle.

Bought 6qts and all bottles were emptied.

No one here is a mind reader and we can only make assumptions based on the info provided. Perhaps if you had been more detailed In your first post on this forum we could skip the obvious dumb questions. Now that we know you did the oil change correctly, what is this "engine protection mode" you speak of? What are the warning lights displayed? If the check engine light is on, have you scanned for the codes? Edited by jkeaton

I don't understand the reason why people feel the need to replace the factory oil early.... the owners manual doesn't ask for it, the dealer (or at least mine) said to come in at 3000 miles and not sooner. The last time I was instructed to come in for the 1500 mile oil change was back in 1990 for my Acura Integra.

I guess it will be back to dealer and hopefully they won't noticed the oil change.

Possibly you pulled a sensor lead off while under the hood.

Unless the OP totally screwed up on the oil change I don`t see why it would be a problem knowing that the oil was changed. Interesting to find out the reason why he is getting the message.

With my extended warranty, I get my oil changed and tires rotated every 4,250 miles. So, the dealer can do it for me.

Hmmm, I must be draining all of the oil out of mine because a 5L jug and a quart of oil bring me to the top of the safe line.

I didn't mean to imply you were not competent. I was only offering a suggestion on your post. Did you ever get interrupted in the middle of something and miss the obvious? It's happened to me, but maybe I'm incompetent! Who knows? Maybe you knocked a wire off reaching for the filter, removing something, etc. good luck.

No one here is a mind reader and we can only make assumptions based on the info provided. Perhaps if you had been more detailed In your first post on this forum we could skip the obvious dumb questions. Now that we know you did the oil change correctly, what is this "engine protection mode" you speak of? What are the warning lights displayed? If the check engine light is on, have you scanned for the codes?

Acceleration in the vehicle is essentially gone. It will climb ever so slowly to speed, but doesn't have any of the pep it used to.

Warning lights are a constant Check Engine and an occasional Check Oil that comes and goes.

I haven't scanned the codes as I don't have the means to do so.

Yeah no worries. Funny how so many have asked me the same questions and asked the same things. I didn't mean to come off sounding sore.

Old habits are hard to die. Like me still putting in a quart of STP every time the oil is changed, whether I do it or the dealer does it. I have been doing this since I was a kid with my first car. No problems ever. Maybe I am wasting my money but I will continue to do it until there is a block on my head in the shape of and STP bottle, that reads "RIP".

You can always try the " disconnect the battery cable" cure. Try disconnecting the neg battery cable for about 20 mins. That should clear the codes, see if they come back. If so, time to visit the dealer, it could be something unrelated to the oil change.

Edited by OhareFred

Acceleration in the vehicle is essentially gone. It will climb ever so slowly to speed, but doesn't have any of the pep it used to.

Warning lights are a constant Check Engine and an occasional Check Oil that comes and goes.

Amazon has plenty of code readers at cheap prices. As JKeaton mentioned Autozone & Advance Auto will scan CEL's for free and if you are in Canada the guy at Part Source said they scan CEL's for free too.

Please keep us posted on what happens as I change my oil too and want to make sure that if your issue has anything oil change related I can learn from this.

BTW welcome to the forum!!!! :salute:

This is an indication that it is in "limp mode". Get that baby to a Mopar Dealer pronto.

Wish I could just take it to a Auto zone but I'm stationed overseas in the UK. I learned with my Wrangler to not have the locals scan your car because 9/10 times they don't have your make/model and it really freaks out the CPU. I will need to order one from Amazon. Will take suggestions of good ones.

Will need to take it to the Delivery garage I got it from but it's 75 miles away. Thus didn't want to do more damage/hoping someone might know an easy fix.

It doesn't matter what scanner is used as long as it is OBDII compatible it will retrieve the code. I wish we could offer some better advice on what to do but with no code given I can't even direct you to a helpful link on the net. Since you are stationed out in the UK is your DJ a diesel model? Do they still have Dodge dealerships in the UK? If you are under warranty then you will need to contact the dealer and arrange for it to be towed....at their expense if new.