another dead battery?

Natasha Klein

another winter of me walking my kids in −38'c { thats today }

and before anyone asks its block heater is plugged in

and no I didn't leave something on….

I have a 2012 and every winter my battery goes dead, 1st year dodge here just charged it for my… last year the battery was toast and they replaced it and told me to stop using my heated seats cause that was what was killing it !! ?

this year its been cold for 3 days, 2 days ago we went to town, it started fine. today its completely DEAD nothing no interior lights not a turn over nothing.

has anyone had this problem? I have a trickle charger from Canadian Tire how do I install it? my hubby is out of town, but I can totally do it if someone tells me where to put it and how to hook it up….

the dealership here is useless
thanks

I would google your specific model for exact directions, but you basically put the positive wire on the jump (+) terminal and the negative on the negative terminal on the driver's side shock tower.

Obviously your heated seats should have nothing do with your dead battery (unless they are aftermarket and were installed wrong), so your "dealer" is clearly full of morons. Take it to a good shop and find out where the parasitic draw is coming from. A reputable shop should be able to hunt it down for you.

so I just hook up the trickle charger to the booster things? not the actual battery? thanks !!!!

Yeah... you could do it either way, but since the battery is a pain to get to you can just use the jumper terminals on the shock tower (that's why they put them there).

EDIT: Make sure you are connected positive to positive and negative to negative!! Turn on the unit AFTER it is connected.

Edited by Lobitz68

What kind of trickle charger do you have? A Battery Tender?? Your best bet is to look up the user's manual online if you don't currently have it. If it is designed to be permanently attached then you could absolutely do that... As for where, you'll have to just find a spot that makes sense. There is room in there, but not a lot.

You really shouldn't need a trickle charger. There have been a few updates that the dealer needs to do to the computer, as I recall things were not shutting down even when the car is off. If your battery is completely dead and all you have is a trickle charger, it may not be enough. Best bet is to jump it, take it to a dealer and have them check for the updates...good luck!

Edited by OhareFred

You really shouldn't need a trickle charger. There have been a few updates that the dealer needs to do to the computer, as I recall things were not shutting down even when the car is off. If your battery is completely dead and all you have is a trickle charger, it may not be enough. Best bet is to jump it, take it to a dealer and have them check for the updates...good luck!

It sounds like her dealer is incompetent at best... But she should definitely get it to a shop and have them look for where the parasitic loss is coming from. Worst case, it points to something proprietary to the dealer...best case, they find it and fix it for her. Either way, I agree she definitely needs to get it to a COMPETENT mechanic.

yes they are no help they told me to install a trickle charger and to not use my factory heated seats?!
yup its completely dead, I couldn't even lock the doors!

yes its made to be installed in the engine compartment, its a motor master intelligent battery charger, I bought it last year for the atv… but I just read reviews and I guess others hate them lol so thats great?

at the moment its all I have

well you need to find a different dealer even if it means a longer trip that said it not that the winters cold is killing your battery ,its you have a electrical draw even when the car is off and during the warm weather the car is still going because the battery is staying charged just enough to start your car and then when the cold weather comes in the battery is to weak to start. so using a trickle charger will not solve your problem, first take your car to a auto parts store and get the best battery you can, like one with a 7 yr warrenty so if it does go bad at least you can get a replacement for free the first 3yrs. then have them check your charging sytem and the starter draw to see if their is any problem there then if nothing is found i would proceed to a different dodge dealer as you should still be under warrenty ( you made no info on mileage on vech). i really like advance auto by using retailmenot.com coupon codes check it out it will save you at least $40.00 off any purchase over $110. and they are the only ones i use on my batteries. good luck and keep us informed.... also at -38c any battery is going to have problems.

I live way in the boonies, where no one cares about customer service

I have 22000km

Yeah, sounds like you are definitely still under warranty, so I would try and make the drive to a reputable dealer. Their response is not only stupid, it is lazy and borderline negligent and I'm sure Chrysler would love to hear about it.

As stated, the trickle charger is a band aid for a problem that can be easily fixed. Please check it out and report back with your findings.

P.S. - I would avoid installing the charger permanently as you should/will NOT need it once this is fixed.