"Blue painters tape" & Traveling???

2013R/T

Hello,

I wanted to see if any one OR ASK if any one has used the thick tape to cover the front of their Journey when traveling. Sort of like a Bug and rock chip protectant??... I searched online, and seen other car platforms use it, just wanted to see if any DJ owners have done it. If so post up photos, and i mean its straight forward right? Cover mirrors, part of the Hood, front facia....etc

why don't u just spray front of DJ with plastic dip any colour u want then when u get back home just peel it off.

This would probably be a lot more work... and would definitely be more expensive... I don't personally like them and haven't had any huge issues with chipping myself, but why not get a bra?

Why not get get the front end rock guarded? Its a clear plastic film you can do your entire car of you want.

I'm thinking that we have already made all of these suggestions to the same user in a different thread, but I'm too lazy to look. Feels like he is bouncing his newest idea off of us. EDIT: Not the same guy... The film seems like the best long term solution. There is also a spray on version that is clear... these would definitely be the most long term solutions.

Personally, I don't think that painters tape will stick at high speeds for very long.

Edited by Lobitz68

I'm thinking that we have already made all of these suggestions to the same user in a different thread, but I'm too lazy to look. Feels like he is bouncing his newest idea off of us. EDIT: Not the same guy... The film seems like the best long term solution. There is also a spray on version that is clear... these would definitely be the most long term solutions.

Personally, I don't think that painters tape will stick at high speeds for very long.

And the sun and heat of the engine will most likely cook the glue on the tape to the hood and may leave a huge mess, coming from experience lol.

Edited by xcaliber81

I haven't done it personally but I've seen many people do it driving cars with custom or new paint jobs to shows.

My preference is to use a bra. 2nd best option is clear plasti-dip. There are people who will apply a clear plasti-dip to the entire car just before winter, then peel it all off in the spring.

Bras for Journey's I have found are not common. LeBra makes one, and the design is terrible (exposes the top of the grille at the hoodline). Unfortunately Mopar does not make one. I thought I saw a listing for Colgan brand, however I could not find any installed images. I'm still on the lookout for a full front end mask. I've been on one long trip down to Sandusky, OH and just went to the car washing station at my complex to blast off the bugs.

Those clear wrap covers are not a good choice. The sun bakes them, and after so many years they look terrible. Removal is an arduous task, and they don't even work well. More often than not they don't protect the edges and corners, which are the most critical. I wouldn't even bother.

...2nd best option is clear plasti-dip...

Clear plastidip is a matte finish and would stick out like a sore thumb (not that blue tape wouldn't, ha!). There is another spray out there that is truly clear and still has a gloss finish. I don't remember who makes it though... Maybe 3M?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the 3m clear bra (vinyl wrap) does do its job as intended. BUT its really expensive to get the good stuff and its pricey to get it installed by a professional. Being honest you are looking at about $1800 otd from my previous experience using it on cars. The good stuff doesn't fade or yellow. You actually wax it when you do the rest of the car.

I just got sick of it and prefer to just let things "happen" .