I just broke a bolt...

Mauricio Pelissari

On the back of my front wheel rotor there was a big noise (Blang, Blang, Blang...) coming out from a loose bolt from that metal cover on the back, just a 10 mm bolt, easy fix, but when placed the tire back manage to over torque one of the tire bolts, now come the question do i have to change the Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly or can i just replace that one bolt that i have broken? that assembly that has the 5 bolts for to hold the tire here in Brazil cost a little bit over 500 usd.... it was not really on my maintenance plan... i Have a DJ SXT 2010/2010 2.7L V6 185, by any change any one knows if i can replace on the bolt (stud) it self?

also is it safe to drive the near workshop for repairs with only 4 bolts holding the tire?

You can safely drive with as few as three nuts on the car, though I wouldn't recommend it. Driving with four out of five is fine to the repair shop.

I haven't looked at the wheel hubs for Journey's, but I doubt Dodge's usual design has changed since my LH 300M was produced. On my 2002 300M and my 2007 Charger, the wheel studs were pressed into the hub from the backside. It should be a simple repair for any competent shop.

no problems just get the stud replaced and remember wheel nuts are about 95-100 ft pounds buy a tourqe wrench as at 95-100 is not as tight as you would expect, you are over torqueing and risk warping your rotors.....

This is great advice.

That is probably the best, i manage to drive it to a near shop, and got it replaced, now all 5 are back in place, it is just strange since in the Dodge spare parts near they only sell the hub complete... and on the Mopar website they do sell only the bolt... had to find alternative... thanks for the help...

just a note every time i have work done on my or my daughters van that the wheels have to be removed i always loosen the lug nuts and then retourqe them with my tourqe wrench to 100 alot of dealers use a impact wrench and over tighten the lugs and with the stop an go that my daughter does with her mail route after a while the lugs seem to tighten up more but if i retorqe them i never have a problem getting them off my self.

• 8 years later...

Very old link to revive…but in the North it’s getting to snow tire time again. Lots of people swapping out rims and tires, studs to be torqued and maybe broken.

A bad stud is easily knocked out, with out removing wheel bearing hub. New one is not pressed in but usually pulled through with a bunch of washers and the original chrome lug nut. Knurling on stud base prevents spinning.
It can seem like lug nuts are getting tighter over time when installed on a rim. The higher torque needed sometimes to remove long time installed wheels I think it’s often caused by dirt/corrosion and sometimes a slightly damaged (bastard) thread on the stud.  Impact gun only installed lug nuts are often over torqued and cause some of the thread damage over time. Good shops always finish with a torque wrench on rim nuts, first pre tightening approx half way with the impact gun.

Edited by John/Horace