AWD shifting hard.

bigm4x4sc

So new to the forum, wife and I just bought a 2012 Journey Crew AWD. Only had 28K on it when we bought it. Over the weekend i noticed that when pulling off from a stop and turning, there is bang and very hard shift, that seems to be coming from the rear, when it shifts from first to second. It is worse depending the tightness of the turn and amount of gas you give it. I assume there is something going on with the AWD system or components. Is this common and what should i ask about when we take it in for the warrenty repairs?

• Official Dodge Support

So new to the forum, wife and I just bought a 2012 Journey Crew AWD. Only had 28K on it when we bought it. Over the weekend i noticed that when pulling off from a stop and turning, there is bang and very hard shift, that seems to be coming from the rear, when it shifts from first to second. It is worse depending the tightness of the turn and amount of gas you give it. I assume there is something going on with the AWD system or components. Is this common and what should i ask about when we take it in for the warrenty repairs?

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your recently purchased vehicle. The dealer is better equip to inspect and diagnose what is occurring with your vehicle.

• Official Dodge Support

Dealship called today, it was the visicous unit going bad. They are replacing the whole unit. New one should arrive tomorrow. Hopfully this doesn't continue to go out every 30K miles.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the dealer was able to diagnose the issue.

• 1 year later...

If it is the viscous coupling, the rear wheels may not be disengaging. Since this is basically a part time system (no center differential, the bang (pop) you are hearing is probably coming form the rear differential because the rear wheels are trying to catch up with the fronts. In a turn, each tire is turning at a slightly different speed. What you are hearing is the system winding up and releasing because without a center differential, there is no way to allow for slippage between the front and rear tires. If you are on a slippery surface, the system will not wind up because the tires can spin freely and catch up.

• 10 months later...

Currently happening on my 2010 RT.   Initial diagnosis guess is:  electric clutch coupler ($1500CDN part in the rear end) OR the electronic controller for it ($700CDN part under the dash).  Mechanic's plan is to splice in between them and monitor the signals to eliminate the controller as a potential cause.

is this post (

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/839-leaking-awd-transaxle-pto/

) about an updated GerTrac PTO part related maybe?