Rust Proofing

cskmom

I purchased this along with undercoating when I purchased my '13 DJ R/T. The dealer did the work trough a 3rd party; I don't know the company. It reekd for about a week and some of the coating did drip onto our garage floor while it was curing [something the dealer didn't tell me to watch for]. I hope you had a better experience. I don't think I would do it again.

• Official Dodge Support

I purchased this along with undercoating when I purchased my '13 DJ R/T. The dealer did the work trough a 3rd party; I don't know the company. It reekd for about a week and some of the coating did drip onto our garage floor while it was curing [something the dealer didn't tell me to watch for]. I hope you had a better experience. I don't think I would do it again.

cruisinbill,

I would imagine this wasn't the Master Shield version of undercoating...

I'd caution anyone from getting any 3rd party Service Contracts or protection plans.

Chrysler Canada nor the dealership has any control over 3rd parties which can lead to some unpleasant surprises for the Customer.

• 4 months later...

We just had ours undercoated with fluid-film. Guaranteed to prevent rust. We do it to all our vehicles once a year. My 03 Silverado that I just recently sold had ZERO surface rust underneath....and certainly no rust anywhere else. Great stuff and the best $125 you'll spend to protect your new Dodge.

I'm considering having it done. I haven't heard of anyone in the US doing it, however all of my Canadian car club friends rave about Krown and have their daily drivers done every year.

There is a Krown dealer in Windsor, not too far from where I am in Metro Detroit. There is also a company called Ziebart that is only a few miles from me who also does rust-proofing. I'm hoping to find out more about them to decide if they should do it, or if I should grab my passport and head south of the border (What? Detroit is the only major US city NORTH of the US-CAN border!).

My Journey is the first vehicle I've purchased that hasn't yet experienced the ravages of winter, so I'd like to give it its best shot.

I'm considering having it done. I haven't heard of anyone in the US doing it, however all of my Canadian car club friends rave about Krown and have their daily drivers done every year.

There is a Krown dealer in Windsor, not too far from where I am in Metro Detroit. There is also a company called Ziebart that is only a few miles from me who also does rust-proofing. I'm hoping to find out more about them to decide if they should do it, or if I should grab my passport and head south of the border (What? Detroit is the only major US city NORTH of the US-CAN border!).

My Journey is the first vehicle I've purchased that hasn't yet experienced the ravages of winter, so I'd like to give it its best shot.

Based on my experiences (and others I know), I would steer clear of Ziebart...

I have read that Krown may ruin rubber seals....you might want to look into that before you have this done.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Krown+damage+rubber+seals

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the reason for wanting a system which may only require one treatment etc... and a touch-up here and there. But, I have always done the old oil spray from Ontario Stop Rust ( Windsor Ontario) for over 25 years now. I let them tell me what combination of product to use and where ( standard / dripless) figured they have seen enough to know. For about $100 , I only do it every other year and have NEVER had a rust issue. If it works, why try and fix it ? Just let your car sit on the road for 4 -5 days then, wash it looking for any surface with extra oil seeping from drip holes.

Wife talked me into buying that 12 volt system in the new Chevy Trax bought in August. Guaranteed for life against any rusting but, again why fix what was not broke ? But, it is her car, we will see.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand the reason for wanting a system which may only require one treatment etc... and a touch-up here and there. But, I have always done the old oil spray from Ontario Stop Rust ( Windsor Ontario) for over 25 years now. I let them tell me what combination of product to use and where ( standard / dripless) figured they have seen enough to know. For about $100 , I only do it every other year and have NEVER had a rust issue. If it works, why try and fix it ? Just let your car sit on the road for 4 -5 days then, wash it looking for any surface with extra oil seeping from drip holes.

Wife talked me into buying that 12 volt system in the new Chevy Trax bought in August. Guaranteed for life against any rusting but, again why fix what was not broke ? But, it is her car, we will see.

I saw one Trax today....how is the mrs enjoying her car?

• 2 months later...

We just had ours undercoated with fluid-film. Guaranteed to prevent rust. We do it to all our vehicles once a year. My 03 Silverado that I just recently sold had ZERO surface rust underneath....and certainly no rust anywhere else. Great stuff and the best $125 you'll spend to protect your new Dodge.

Ya Fluid Film is good stuff the navy uses that to coat interiors of panels on aircraft. I believe the airframers remove and reapply it about every 56 days maybe little more but the stuff is pretty tough really it can go year easy im sure.

Edited by shata

Can't think of a better way to throw money away...

I use to think that too until I see cars that are a little over 5 years old with rust around the wheel wells. In the snowbelt region where they use salt on the roads it's a definitely a good idea to have done if you are planning to keep the car for a long time.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I haven't hadrustproofing done to any of my cars since the 90's, never had rust either. Traded my 2000 (which I got in mid 99) Durango in for the DJ, not a speck of rust. Chicago uses tons of salt. I just wash the car when weather permits in the winter.