Humming noise at speed

I have a Dodge Journey R/T with 88213 miles. Recently the car has developed a buzzing like noise at speed. The noise gets louder as you go faster. It also is prominent when you coast. I have noticed that when on the freeway the noise fades when turning to the left. I am taking it to the dealer to diagnose. Could this be a bad wheel bearing or some other suspension component

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 2013 DJ. Today, out of the blue, the rear passenger side of the suv started squealing and whining really loud. Not when I apply the brakes- but as I move the veh any slight forward.

I got it home, had my husband test drive it- and he only made it three houses down the road before turning around and coming home. The noise is so loud-

I had it towed into the dealer b/c uncomfortable with driving.

The noise is grinding and squealing. Hard to describe, but there is no wobbling of the tire. Last week it was making a humming noise while driving 70 down a highway. To be honest, I just figured it was the ice on the veh roof in the back.

What would cause a 2013 with less than 17,000 km's to make a god awful noise like that?

I would guess whel bearing, but I can't imagine with that few of miles. IF you get moving and put it in neutral while still rolling does the noise go away? If so that would be transmission related.

Could also be a stuck brake caliper, but you would notice the vehicle trying to slow down on you automatically without brakes applied.

I have a 2013 DJ. Today, out of the blue, the rear passenger side of the suv started squealing and whining really loud. Not when I apply the brakes- but as I move the veh any slight forward.

I got it home, had my husband test drive it- and he only made it three houses down the road before turning around and coming home. The noise is so loud-

I had it towed into the dealer b/c uncomfortable with driving.

The noise is grinding and squealing. Hard to describe, but there is no wobbling of the tire. Last week it was making a humming noise while driving 70 down a highway. To be honest, I just figured it was the ice on the veh roof in the back.

What would cause a 2013 with less than 17,000 km's to make a god awful noise like that?

You had it towed to the dealer. What did the dealer say?

Edited by jkeaton

I just got the car back- the dealer took off all 4 tires, did something with the calipers, cleaned and greased them up, serviced the brakes.

I took the car out for a 20 km test ride- not a sound.
Not too sure what happened.

I am so confused, I don't know if I should scratch my watch or wind my ass, because yesterday, the car was screaming bloody murder. Now, nothing. Runs fine.

I do have one question....

With my Journey (19,023 kms- Canadian vehicle and I live in Canada) what is bumper to bumper warranty cover- just that? Because believe it or not, I strongly believe the struts are starting to go on my journey. Reason I say that is because whenever the vehicle goes over bumps, or if the vehicle rocks when people are getting in and out, the vehicle makes this "squeaky hinge" sound.

This just started a few days ago, sadly after returning from the dealer who took care of the wheel/brake problem.

And, when I purposefully rock the car, by standing outside the car and gently rock it, it makes the same sound!!

If indeed this is a strut issue- is it a covered service?

Thank you kindly

I do have one question....

With my Journey (19,023 kms- Canadian vehicle and I live in Canada) what is bumper to bumper warranty cover- just that? Because believe it or not, I strongly believe the struts are starting to go on my journey. Reason I say that is because whenever the vehicle goes over bumps, or if the vehicle rocks when people are getting in and out, the vehicle makes this "squeaky hinge" sound.

This just started a few days ago, sadly after returning from the dealer who took care of the wheel/brake problem.

And, when I purposefully rock the car, by standing outside the car and gently rock it, it makes the same sound!!

If indeed this is a strut issue- is it a covered service?

Thank you kindly

I had a similar complaint at 51,000 kms and when I took it in, they found the noise coming from the rear lower control arms. They were replaced under warranty. I hope this helps.