OBD Code reader

YellowDuck

On another thread we were talking about OBD code readers to check codes and cancel engine lights. I bought this one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memoscan-U480-OBDII-Engine-Light-Trouble-Code-Car-Reader-Scanner-/190931723301?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2c746ae425&vxp=mtr

Finally had a chance to use it yesterday. On both our Wrangler and DJ it worked just perfectly. Plugged it into the outlet under the dash and followed the instructions. Looked up the codes in the manual that came with the reader. I was also able to cancel an engine light on the Wrangler (code was for an evap emissions malfunction).

Seems like a pretty good deal - this way I can check the codes myself and decide whether or not a trip to the dealer is warranted.

Yep, thats all you need. I dont know why more people dont have one of these. It pays for itself the first time you use it. Since I have a mix of OBD1 and OBD2 cars, mines a little fancier, but the cheap ones work great.

Edited by jkeaton

My experience with Evap codes is check the gas cap first. I've thrown these codes and checked everything but the gas cap. Only to find out it was indeed a loose/faulty gas cap. Not sure if all vehicles will do this but in my experience it has been the case numerous times.

Even if you don't plan on working on your car yourself I would recommend a scanner. Especially being so affordable nowadays.

These things are great especially for the price. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396465406&sr=8-2&keywords=obd2+reader paired up with the torque pro app on my phone. I have a code reader, a bunch of gauges for intake temp, manifold pressure, air fuel ratio ect..for under 30 bucks.

I just bought a new 2014 Journey and came to this forum because I can't find the OBD2 connector so if anyone knows where it is I would appreciate knowing.

Re Code Readers in general, I haven't much to say except to note that I have a Garmin GPS and Garmin has a device which I will call an OBD2 dongle which plugs into the OBD2 connector and then transmits a bunch of info over Bluetooth to either a Garmin GPS (which I have) and/or a Android phone or tablet. The GPS has the appropriate software to display much of the car's data and Garmin offers an Android App through Google Play (free) that will accept the Bluetooth data and display even more data about the engine etc.

As I recall it costs about $100 from Garmin.

Probably not any better than others on the market but it plays nicely with the Garmin GPS and displays soft instruments that can be customized.

My experience with Evap codes is check the gas cap first. I've thrown these codes and checked everything but the gas cap. Only to find out it was indeed a loose/faulty gas cap. Not sure if all vehicles will do this but in my experience it has been the case numerous times.

Even if you don't plan on working on your car yourself I would recommend a scanner. Especially being so affordable nowadays.

had my journey one time about a yr ago showed me a message to check the gas cap. i did that then shut the cart off then back on and the message had went away..

I just bought a new 2014 Journey and came to this forum because I can't find the OBD2 connector so if anyone knows where it is I would appreciate knowing.

It's under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel (edit: I meant column)

Edited by Lebowski

• 1 year later...