Oil changes....

rozwell911

Hello everyone, i am the proud owner of an 09 dodge Journey and have been trying to figure out what type of oil everyone has been using. In all of my cars i ahve used Mobil 1 synthetic. I was thinking of changing it to that but did not know if the dodge dealer would void the warranty for that, or if anyone has had problems with it (some motors can be picky).

Thanks for the info everyone.

Lupe

10W30 approved, does not matter what brand you use as long as it is ASI (I think that is what they call it). The manual also states that you can use synthetic oil as long as it also conforms to the standard.

Thanks for the heads up. I should have read my owners manual in more detail. Its good to know that dodge allows synthetic so long as it conforms to ASI specs.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the heads up. I should have read my owners manual in more detail. Its good to know that dodge allows synthetic so long as it conforms to ASI specs.

I use only synthetic..... better for starting and general wear and tear..... Just remember that you can not go back to regular oil once you use synthetic.

Erbch

• 2 weeks later...
I use only synthetic..... better for starting and general wear and tear..... Just remember that you can not go back to regular oil once you use synthetic.

Erbch

Yes you can go back to regular (dino) oil after synthetic. This myth has been floating around on other sites as well. If you want specifics, go to any of the well known oil web sites. They even say you can switch back and forth with no problem.

A little research before adding a blatently false statement would be in order.

Yes you can go back to regular (dino) oil after synthetic. This myth has been floating around on other sites as well. If you want specifics, go to any of the well known oil web sites. They even say you can switch back and forth with no problem.

A little research before adding a blatently false statement would be in order.

I have always heard that too. Once you go sythetic you can't go back to dino. Recently I have heard that now you can switch back if you want too.

• 3 weeks later...

Erbch

Shotgunner is correct.

it is a common misconception due to a number of confusing information standards.

#1 i ask that everyone please check out www.bobistheoilguy.com and www.blackstone-labs.com for your oil information. It has proven invaluble for me for many years now.

#2 I ask that everyone consider this question: If you cannot mix synthetic and "dino" oil, how can oil companies make synthetic blends?

All syntheic blends are synthetic mixed with regular oil...They are not as good as 100% synthetic, or last as long, but they are a happy medium for customers that cannot afford the price of syn. oil but want something better than regular oil.

Most of the misconception , from my experience with other people and forums, stems from the fact that people tell you not to change into synthetic oil in high millage vehicles because ti would cause leaks...same for changing back to regular oil.

This is not true though. The problem with high milage vehicles that used nothing but regular oil for the majority of life is that regular oil forms deposits that attach to the inner surface of our motors. These deposits can accumulate on seals, plugs, bearing...just about everywhere. The problem is that these deposits can also mask problems. The deposits will also fill in where areas of gaskets and seals have degraded.....in essance puting a temperary plug in the hole to prevent a leak from occuring. Problem is, that most poeple if not diligent in vehicle maintanence, would not pay attention to details and possible signs of this process thus making what started out small, into a big problem down the road and possible a higher cost in repair.

This is where i bring synthetic into the situation. Everyone knows synthetic has a high amount of cleaning agents and takes longer to degrade then dino oils. it is thoese very cleaning agents that give the myth that you cannot change from one oil to the other and vice versa. What happens is that the cleaners in essance "clean" the depsits out of the engine, and where ever it accumulates (seals , gasgets etc). So if you have a bad head gasket, oil pan gasget that is being masked by regular oil depsoits, synthetic oil will effectivly remove thoese deposits and casue the issues to come to the surface and thus you ahve a leak problem.

Its not because the synthetic oil is not doing its job, its because it IS doing its job.

I run synthetic in all my cars..Mobil 1..I have switched in low mileage situations, and high mileage situations...i have not once had a major issue come up becasue of the switch. There have been many times i switch back to dino oil either becasue it was all i had at the time ( i use to auto cross) and have never had any adverse effects.

the only thing i highly advise, when switching to synthetic from dino oil on a medium or high millage car, is to change your oil again after 1000 miles.

The synthetic oils will clean the deposits out and those deposits can clog your filter real fast. theroeticly after the second change, Dodge says you can change your oil every 6000 miles on syn. instead of 3000 on dino. I change mine every 3000 anyways though....Blackstone Labs and Bob is The oil Guy ahve done some real world tests on many synthetic oils and have found that most can go 20,000 miles before needing to be changed. I do not recomend this though or approve of doing that, but non the less, if you have to you can....it also depends on your environment (hot, dust climate or a wet cold climate) how long the oil can lasts.

All in all i ask that everyone takes a look at the two websites that i listed...they are a plethora of information that will help dispell many myths.

Here is the answer i got from BlackStone Labs that also confirms my assesment:

<rozwell911@gmail.com>

dateWed, Apr 15, 2009 at 6:40 AM

subjectRe: BSL Question

hide details 6:40 AM (9 hours ago) Reply

Yes, that's fine. People switch back and forth all the time.

Kristin Huff

Blackstone Labs

At 02:56 PM 4/14/2009, you wrote:

Name = Guadalupe Garcia

Address =

City =

State = CA

Zip =

Country = USA

Phone =

Email = rozwell911@gmail.com

HearAboutUs = BobIsTheOilGuy.com

Comments = I have a technical question. Is it possible to switch back to regular oil from synthetic oil without any adverse effects to the engine?

I can forward the actual e-mail to anyone who wants it.

Hello everyone, i am the proud owner of an 09 dodge Journey and have been trying to figure out what type of oil everyone has been using. In all of my cars i ahve used Mobil 1 synthetic. I was thinking of changing it to that but did not know if the dodge dealer would void the warranty for that, or if anyone has had problems with it (some motors can be picky).

Thanks for the info everyone.

Lupe

I am going to switch to Royal Purple when I change my oil. I have read and heard from others they like it better than Mobil 1 synthetic. It is a bit more, but it should be worth it if it does help the engine wear less.

I am going to switch to Royal Purple when I change my oil. I have read and heard from others they like it better than Mobil 1 synthetic. It is a bit more, but it should be worth it if it does help the engine wear less.

I have never used Royal Purple. Never heard anything but good about them. I recently heard that Castrol Syntec is better than Mobil 1 too. Infact the next time you see a Castrol commerical I think it states it is better than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 threw a fit and took Castrol to court for the statement and lost. I do run Mobil 1 in the viper truck and have no problems with it. Either way IMO you can't go wrong with RP, Castrol, or Mobil 1.

• 2 weeks later...

So,last friday I decided to do my first oil change and changed it at just over 2100 miles. I used Royal Purple and used the MOPAR oil filter. I was driving around today and topped off my gas tank and after I calculated the mileage I got the best so far with mixed driving 18.6 MPG. I am excited about that.

• 3 months later...
So,last friday I decided to do my first oil change and changed it at just over 2100 miles. I used Royal Purple and used the MOPAR oil filter. I was driving around today and topped off my gas tank and after I calculated the mileage I got the best so far with mixed driving 18.6 MPG. I am excited about that.

I have used Mobile 1...forever / prefer the 0-40w up here in Iowa. I recently switched to Royal Purple...which I had ignored all along since I thought of it as an Expensive Racing Oil. Yes, it is more expensive - up front.

I would change the Mobile 1 every 3000 miles.

I then (finally) read the Royal Purple web site from front to back - clicked everywhere & watched all videos, and found you can go 12,000 miles before the next change.

Pulled out the calculator...and it IS cheaper to use the RP vs. Mobile 1 under my conditions.

I stilll was skeptical about the 12K change, so I e-mailed RP, and the Rep (of course) stated "that 12,000 is a conservative mileage for our product"

I then switched my '95 Impala SS over to RP / got a confirmed 2.8 MPG gain over what I had been getting - SWEET!

When we purchased the Journey, I waited until 2000 (as recommended by RP) then changed over. Again I seen a 2.5 confirmed MPG gain!

I'm sold. I will be switching the tranny fluid over to RP soon to additionally lessen wear/tear, and improve my mileage (the RP website has video clips about improved performance & gas mileage by changing all fluids over to RP)

Hope this helps!

I just changed the oil in our new Journey at 1100 miles this past weekend and used Mobil 1 10w30. The car is a year old from its build date so I figured it was time for fresh oil. I use Mobil 1 in my Crossfire SRT6 and my Subaru WRX. The Subaru just turned 100K miles and does not burn a drop of oil. So I am a happy Mobil 1 customer.

• 3 weeks later...

I switched to synthetic. I try to get Mobile 1 when it is on sale but recently, I've just used any synthetic on my cars that happen to be on sale. I realize that not all synthetics are the same, but for general use it's good enough... much better than dino oil. Plus, based on my previous ownership history, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to keep this car forever. I figure just until the kids grow up and then downsize... maybe 7-10 years max.

On my 4 cyl., 2009 Journey, the oil fill cap says to use 5w20. I'm in NYC. It's hot right now, in the upper 80sF. With my upcoming oil change, I might go through most of the winter, where it can go into the teens and 20s. I was planning on using a synthetic like Mobil 1. My "old fashioned" comfort level is to use a 10w30. What would you use and why?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Guys, I own 2009 Journey SE 4-cyl, bought it in US and I did all my oil changes at colony tires. The oil cap says 5W20 so I'm guessing that what they were using. Now I'm in Europe and at the dealership I was told that I cannot use any other oil that mopar, because it my clog some stuff. Last time I used 5W30 which was mineral. Mopar oil is crazy expensive in EU for 5L I've paid $65 for just oil!. The car runs on petrol and LPG and has 55k miles. Couple of questions:

1. Is mopar 5W20 mineral?

2. Can I switch to synthetic like castrol edge 5W30 that is synthetic and meets SAE 5W-30 requirements (it's like half the price of mopar)?

3. Will I need a different oil filter for synthetic ?

4. Will there be any advantages/disadvantages of switching?

Thanks !

I have used Mobile 1...forever / prefer the 0-40w up here in Iowa. I recently switched to Royal Purple...which I had ignored all along since I thought of it as an Expensive Racing Oil. Yes, it is more expensive - up front.

I would change the Mobile 1 every 3000 miles.

I then (finally) read the Royal Purple web site from front to back - clicked everywhere & watched all videos, and found you can go 12,000 miles before the next change.

Pulled out the calculator...and it IS cheaper to use the RP vs. Mobile 1 under my conditions.

I stilll was skeptical about the 12K change, so I e-mailed RP, and the Rep (of course) stated "that 12,000 is a conservative mileage for our product"

I then switched my '95 Impala SS over to RP / got a confirmed 2.8 MPG gain over what I had been getting - SWEET!

When we purchased the Journey, I waited until 2000 (as recommended by RP) then changed over. Again I seen a 2.5 confirmed MPG gain!

I'm sold. I will be switching the tranny fluid over to RP soon to additionally lessen wear/tear, and improve my mileage (the RP website has video clips about improved performance & gas mileage by changing all fluids over to RP)

Hope this helps!

sorry if this this makes you mad but if you have been changing your moblie 1 syn. oil every 3,000 miles you have beeen wasting your money as it will be good for alot more miles than that what you should be using is a better oil filter at least. you could go at least 8 to 10 k on any syn. oil change under regular driving conditions as syn. oil does NOT break down as reg oil does but using a better filter is a wise idea. it s like thinking my car runs good on reg gas but will run better on premium gas NOT TRUE,but some folks dont belive it ..