Curt Hitch Install !

Journey Dude

Install was easy, and pretty fast. My slowest time was getting the power wire through the rear suspension area. Did it by myself, my first hitch install also. Got the kit off of ebay.

From seller HitchMart1 for $198.44 shipped, and came with everything! Hope this helps people needing a hitch.

post-7960-0-40348800-1390167158_thumb.jp

post-7960-0-58366000-1390167180_thumb.jp

post-7960-0-62330300-1390167218_thumb.jp

Edited by Journey Dude

Yep, not a bad job for a DIY'er. Got my hitch from Hitch Depot USA. Good cost and very fast delivery even to my Canadian address. Nice thing is, they ship Canadian orders from Canada so no issues with Customs Border broker charges shipping from the US.

My curt hitch arrived today from http://canadianhitches.ca/, 24hrs from ordering to delivery, Bday present for next week. Part # 13335 for the class 3, I wanted the 2" hookup. Got the hitch and a bike rack for $350 with taxes and free delivery (about $160 each before taxes). I'll have to wait until the spring to install it, way to cold to be working outside.

I have the trailer prep package so I already have the wiring harness, are there any tips/instructions on how to install it when the time comes?

I'll have to go to the dealership to have it enabled, I assume that they should do this for free.

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to doing this in the spring.

One more question. I didn't get a ball and mount yet. What is a typical "ball" size for towing (be honest about the size of your ball :lol: ) and what offset puts it at a good height.

Just want to make sure when my ball get mounted that it is a smooth ride! :drool: (sorry, just had to write this! ;) )

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to doing this in the spring.

One more question. I didn't get a ball and mount yet. What is a typical "ball" size for towing (be honest about the size of your ball :lol: ) and what offset puts it at a good height.

Just want to make sure when my ball get mounted that it is a smooth ride! :drool: (sorry, just had to write this! ;) )

Honesty that depends on the height of your trailer tongue as to how high your ball needs to be..... ;)

Edited by jkeaton

The size of the ball will be determined by the size of the coupler on the trailer. Small trailer typically 1-7/8". Offset would also be determined by the height of the tongue of the trailer. Not much help I guess but need to know what trailer you intend to tow.

• 1 month later...

Install was easy, and pretty fast. My slowest time was getting the power wire through the rear suspension area. Did it by myself, my first hitch install also. Got the kit off of ebay.

From seller HitchMart1 for $198.44 shipped, and came with everything! Hope this helps people needing a hitch.

This is the same brand I was planning on going with, $200 is a great deal for everything included. Was that kit a class 3 hitch? Did the wiring and boxes just all fit behind the taillight then? Where is the trailer wire plug, I don't see it in the pics?

Lastly, do you still have access to your spare tire easily? Thanks!

Yep, not a bad job for a DIY'er. Got my hitch from Hitch Depot USA. Good cost and very fast delivery even to my Canadian address. Nice thing is, they ship Canadian orders from Canada so no issues with Customs Border broker charges shipping from the US.

Hey....which one did you end up getting?

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Curt hitch #13335 with 2" receiver. Great fit. Installed it on my 2009 and when I traded it in I removed it and reinstalled it on my 2013 with no issues.

I have trailer tow package. When i got my journey there's alrEady wiring harness with pin connector. So does it mean all i need is buy Curt hitch #13335 and 2 inch ball joint.. install it and good to go. Trailer hitch is one of my project this coming summer!

I have trailer tow package. When i got my journey there's alrEady wiring harness with pin connector. So does it mean all i need is buy Curt hitch #13335 and 2 inch ball joint.. install it and good to go. Trailer hitch is one of my project this coming summer!

Sounds like that is all you should need besides determining how much drop (or rise) to the hitch head you will need to accommodate your trailer.

I got the Curt 13335 hitch from etrailer they have a 110% low price difference it was 157. and I founnd it for 116. and etrailer refunded 45. I think the total 112 the harness came with the Journey but it doesn't work had it flashed today and nothing they said I had some codes that might turn off the circuit. Is this true? Or BS like suggesting I should pay to flash it? Any ideas???

I installed my Curt 13335 Hitch the other day. Just like the OP said, pretty easy install. The only thing I didn't know was you have to remove the rear tow bar since it's in the way. Took me a minute to realize that. Just 2 bolts to take off the rear tow bar...and you don't need it now that the hitch has openings for a tow hook. Just a little FYI to watch out for.

Some tips for the wiring harness install since the instructions aren't that great. When routing the green T wire connectors, just pass them down through the drivers side taillight hole, then up over top of the rear bumper bar. You don't have to pull the bumper to do that, and it just rests nicely on top of the bumper bar. I originally went lower than that, and the wire ran short.

For the power wire to the battery, I routed mine through each wheel well, up and over the splash gaurds. Pretty easy to pull the splash gaurds down and route the wire over each wheel well. And just zip tie it along the ebrake cable. Then pull the front driver side splash gaurd back and connect it to the battery terminal there.

And finally, I'd recommend doing the wiring first, before the hitch install. I did it vice-versa and it was a lot harder to feed the wires with the hitch in the way. Hope this helps out future installs!

Hi, name is Kevin and have been lurking on the forum for awhile so this is my first post. Have a 2013 SXT, bought in March of 2013 and can honestly say we are very happy with the vehicle. Installed the same Curt hitch and wiring harness as OP installed and it went in pretty easy, as onecrazyfoo4u says, putting the wiring harness in first makes it a little easier, you can get your arm in to feed the harness along the top of the bumper bar. I ran the power wire the same way he mentioned.

All this done at about 2 or 3 deg celcius outside on the gravel driveway, dressed up like the Michelin man and lying on cardboard, nothing like having all the insulated coveralls/clothing on and needing a pee while your under there.

The curt hitch looks nice and I also bought a flat 4 coil flex extension cord so the harness connector end is ty-wrapped to the hitch and you have a neat and tidy looking installation, no loose wire hanging down, the coil extension stretches out to about 4'.