having trouble with washer/ wiper

Jeff Sumner

With the engine off, ignition in run position, operate the washers. Can you hear the pump running? If not, then try the rear washer and see if you can hear the pump running that way (the motor runs in reverse for the rear washer). If you can hear it running, check under the car for dripping. That means a hose is off somewhere if there is a leak. If nothing leaks and you hear the pump running, either the system is clogged or frozen.

check the fuse

The only reason why I did not suggest a fuse is that there is no dedicated fuse for the washer pump per se. Its operation is controlled by the Body Control Module. European market Journeys have a separate headlamp washer pump which has its own fuse. If a fuse is blown, there will be other features not working as well. If that is the case, then yes, look there for sure.

Also, I don't know where you are but if you are in an area that is real cold and you still have summer windshield washer fluid it may just be frozen. When you can thaw it out replace with Winter windshield washer fluid. I have to change mine every winter as we can get temperatures down to -30 to -35 C in winter.

i have a 2012 journey, and the washer fluid is not spraying. Where should i start?

1) check the fluid level. (it's easy to overlook the obvious)

2) check the hoses for leaks, disconnects, etc. Had an issue with ours - noticed it wasn't working but hear the pump. Come to find out something (mouse?) had chewed several holes in both sets of hoses. Bought about 8' of line at Advance (and some extra connectors) and replaced most of the lines.

3) make sure you are using washer fluid that is rated for cold weather. I use a 50/50 mix during the summer, but have to remember to switch over to 100% by winter. If I don't then the fluid has a tendency to freeze in the lines but not in the resevoir.

4) check to make sure the pump is working - whether or not there is fluid you should still hear a slight whurrr....

• 2 years later...

Guys, my rear washer stoped working.

1) I can still hear the pump

2) The front is working just fine

Any ideas what to look for?

what is your temp last nite, look for lines unplugged and or wet spots under car after cycling the switch several times, need more info as what is going on...

Look for wet spots above the rear window. If you are using only water, the line going to the rear may have frozen, or just become disconnected from the nozzle.

dhh3 is right as my rear wasn't working this morning but the fronts were and the temp was only 28 f. i have been using summer fluid but last time added i used winter fluid but the plastic tank is big enough that it was diluted so the rear still froze up a bit. it started working latter in the day will have to go to the auto store and pick up some concentrated fluid to keep it from freezing up again. might be your problem as well...

• 1 month later...