Fuel Guage Wont READ PAST FULL

Blackout

Once the gas pump stops pumping I am able to still pump another 5 bucks worth of gas without gas spilling everywhere.....at that point it will take me past full with close to 700 km DTE. I don't bother doing that any more...I just fill till it stops and that's it.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I dare to say it must be full.

If you overfill too often it can lead to failure of recirc system which

in turn will give you another pretty light in the dash display

and money missing from your wallet.

Edited by bigtsr

Hey boys, every time I try filling once the pump clicks it spills out no matter what I do

I have found that out as well. I try to "top it off", to get a round number for cost and it spills right out. I dont do that anymore. If it clicks off on its own, it's done and I dont try to squeeze and extra 50 cents into it.

I have found that out as well. I try to "top it off", to get a round number for cost and it spills right out. I dont do that anymore. If it clicks off on its own, it's done and I dont try to squeeze and extra 50 cents into it.

If you try to "top it off" it often damages a sensor and a pretty light will come on on your dashboard. When it's full it's full.

Terry

The gauge is electronic...subject to being calibrated to the voltage put out by the tank sensor. Different calibration voltages yield different needle positions. Yours is just calibrated better than hers. If yours reads "full" and not more than full, then, when your needle says you have half a tank you are much more likely to have 10 gallons than she is, all things being equal. When hers reads a half a tank, she'll have less than 10 gallons. Her true half tank point would be the same distance above the half tank mark as her full tank indicator is above the full indicator line.

A full tank should read a "full tank". Nothing more or nothing less; full is 20 gallons (the size of the tank) and isn't changed by the needle's position on the gauge - that's calibration.

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone, Hope everyone had a good new year so far.

I have a question which im confused about...Couple days ago I took my sisters vehicle out for a wash and filled up her gas tank till the pump stopped started up her ride and the DTE reads at 600km to E her needle goes Past FULL drive it around Needle still past FULL

I filled up the next day and did same thing and im only getting 470km to E its like my vehicle isnt taking anymore gas I reset the MPG I reset the trip meter I just dont get it....It doesnt go Past FULL the Guage and second day driving only about 50 the trip meter says my needle has already move away from Full im not getting it anymore its like im getting bad gas mileage and I drive not fast I take my time..Both vehicles AWD v6 3.6L

Any suggestions before I drive it into the dealer

Thanks!

Her fuel mileage is just better than yours. DTE is calculated by average fuel mileage via the computer until its reset, and even then your mileage might be different than hers. The less you reset it the more accurate it will read. You don't necessarily have to be lead footed to get bad gas mileage. Long warm ups, lots of traffic and several other factors can determine your fuel mileage.

Reset it while your traveling "steady" for the highest possible readout (not while in the driveway or traffic). After that don't reset it for a while. If you can maintain that high number as long as possible it should boost your DTE to a higher number.

If your needle is close to full and you are getting close to 20 gallons of fuel when empty, then I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck

• 3 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support

This is a known issue (look in the TSB subforum). Mine read 7/8ths of a tank after 15km driven. Usually, I can't even get it to the F on the gauge when filling. Dealer changed the fuel pump as per Dodge, no effect.

sillywalk,

There is a TSB for this concern however the Fuel Pump Module is replaced not the pump.

If this did not resolve the concern, then they'll have run through the normal diagnostic procedure as something else is problematic.

• 6 months later...

My 2014 Journey Crossroads was taken in for the same issue. It was stopping at 3/4 tank when full. Dealer supposedly ordered a sending unit, but never called me. Fortunately it fixed itself on about the 4th fill up. No more issues since.

Edited by HalsHemi

When I fill mine, I put the filler handle on the slowest fill point. When it automatically stops, it never spurts out any gas. Then I hand fill for a few more gallons. When it clicks off constantly, I just round out the cost. The needle goes way past "F" and I can drive it for at least 3 days before the needle has moved down to "F".