2012 dodge journey

Corey Thurber

So Ive had my dodge journey from feb 2012, And ever since then Ive had issues with it, First The radio stopped working got a new head unit, second issue was AC not working properly got that fixed, Third issue My front Axle somehow got loose, Took service tech twice to figure out the issue and I told them what it was and they told me its normal I was like no its not. So they told me they had to torqe it down No way that should have gotten loose...Fourth issue one of the bearings inside engine came loose went though engine and tore it up, Took it in the next day took 2 weeks to get a new engine, Now I have issues with my trany not shifting correctly I when down shifting its making a knocking noise had to get CV joints replaced,also I started feeling virbratings in the front tires so I replaced all 4 tires around 25000 miles.Its actually in shop now and its going on 3 weeks for them looking at it...also when starting it up the motor shakes around like a motor mount is missing or something. Anyone else have these issues with theres?

Edited by Corey Thurber

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Dodge Support

So Ive had my dodge journey from feb 2012, And ever since then Ive had issues with it, First The radio stopped working got a new head unit, second issue was AC not working properly got that fixed, Third issue My front Axle somehow got loose, Took service tech twice to figure out the issue and I told them what it was and they told me its normal I was like no its not. So they told me they had to torqe it down No way that should have gotten loose...Fourth issue one of the bearings inside engine came loose went though engine and tore it up, Took it in the next day took 2 weeks to get a new engine, Now I have issues with my trany not shifting correctly I when down shifting its making a knocking noise had to get CV joints replaced,also I started feeling virbratings in the front tires so I replaced all 4 tires around 25000 miles.Its actually in shop now and its going on 3 weeks for them looking at it...also when starting it up the motor shakes around like a motor mount is missing or something. Anyone else have these issues with theres?

Corey Thurber,

Sorry to hear you have been having these issues with your DJ. Have you noticed these concerns since day one when you bought it new?

Most of the problems you listed aren't common but certainly need to be addressed.

Which dealer are you working with?

• 1 year later...

No issues. Dealer just replaced front struts and isolators due to a "clunk" coming from the front struts. Other than that small annoyance, runs perfect. I have no complaints.

It is extremely difficult to get a dealer to "buy it back". As far as trading goes, you can trade it in anywhere. Heck, take it to Carmax and they will buy it on the spot even if you dont buy another one there. I find it hard to believe "no one will trade it".

Edited by jkeaton

The vast majority of owners have few problems with the model. I guess you could have gotten the lemon in the group. Does your state's lemon law cover the vehicle?

I suppose that in the end it comes down to the fact that in more than 3 years you've run through a set of tires (which is usually more about how they pave the roads in your area and how you take care of tire pressure and wheel alignment, than it is about the vehicle itself) - If course if something in the front end came loose (there is no 'axle' per se), it could also be about rough roads and such, though loose bolts can happen.

If your CV joints are done it can again be about road conditions.

You haven't given us much information about things like what model you have, which engine and what mileage . . . . is the dealer covering all this under warranty?

And trading it or selling it should certainly not be an issue, unless you tell them how you feel about the vehicle when you speak with prospective buyers or dealers.

But he isn't a 1 post wonder...he's a 2 post wonder! He came back to update his thread 1.5 years later (not with any detailed information of course)! Kudos to him, he's ahead of the curve of most of those other types.

The OP just posted back yesterday. Resurecting his own thread from 2013.

1. Were the original issues fixed? Were they covered under warranty? The engine should have been covered.

2. 1.5 years later you state that you are still having issues, but don't list them.

I have had mine for almost a year with no issues.

Yeah sorry I forgot about this site but I came back because I have issues still and none of which they want to deal with anymore with me.

Like transmission not shifting correctly they tried to reprogram it many times now. also the axles keep getting loosed I have to get them tighten because when im slowing down its making a clacking down, and when I take off does same thing..

I have to ask if you contacted customer service or asked the service manager for a meeting with the factory rep.

Either you have the most inept dealer service department in the country or something else is going on that is not being said.

Driveline bolts have Loctite on them from the factory to prevent the problem you are describing. When someone says that they

went through a set of tires in 25K, it makes me wonder about their driving habits and how hard do you beat on that vehicle?

Mechanical devices are not perfect. But the same repeated issue over three years?

Is there something that we don't know?

Don't mean to sound disbelieving, but it sure looks like the whole story is not being told.

No dealer in their right mind would refuse a three year old trade in on new car.

Just the thought of the 1/2 shafts loosening makes me cringe. How many times has the Dealer tightened them? The Dealer needs to get Dodge involved to get you a new transaxle. Something is wrong if the bolts keep loosening.

Ive contacted Corp about these issues they put my car on the star team to be repair they also compensated me on a month payment, But I can post all the invoices so that you can see that im telling the truth, Also I don't beat the car to death I just drive on highways to work and back the car has 60032 Miles now though. Only real issues I am having is the idling rough the transmission shouldn't be acting up I haven't pulled any trailers or anything with it. Its driven a lot of miles They said the engine had debris from being built that's why they had to replace the short block at 25000 miles, Then im constantly hearing the clacking noise from the axles when accelerating, and letting off the gas which should just be a smooth start and go I shouldn't be hearing any kinda noise. I was told with these cars that thread life is really bad.

Ok, that information was helpful Corey.

Sounds like you have a pretty good dialog going on with your dealer. And that's a good thing

Too many people come onto a forum and don't clarify what has been done and what hasn't.

Thanks for posting the information.

Rough idle issues are sometimes difficult to find. A very small minor vacuum leak can create havoc

Since the short block was replaced, there is a possibility that a connection is compromised. It will be

noticed at idle but not at driving or acceleration speeds. You might suggest to the service manager

that a check be done on all of the vacuum lines and the intake manifold.

Drive axles- the noise you describe points to the CV or constant velocity joints. Did the dealer rebuild the

axle assemblys or replace them with new ones? A point you need to address with your dealer.

Tire wear- It doesn't take much to knock a FWD vehicle out of alignment. One good pothole or hitting a curb

can push things out of alignment just enough to cause uneven tire wear. Uneven inflation is another problem.

And as tires wear the balance points will change. It is not unusual to have to rebalance tires or at least check

them when they are rotated.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Absolutely. Explain your concerns in the form of a suggestion.

One thing about repair orders. If it was done, it is written down. The tech should document every check or

repair they do. If it's not on the RO, it wasn't done.

Think of troubleshooting a problem with your vehicle in this manner:

There are many suspects, But only one true criminal. Just like a murder mystery.

Sometimes they contribute, but are rarely the one that causes the problem.

On your rough idle issue:

Did this problem show itself before the short block was installed?

If not how long after the engine work was performed?

Part failure? Easy to diagnose

Labor issue? Not so easy,

Always look where the last guy worked.