Fuel Economy

Journeyman425

• 1 month later...

I dunno how you guys are doing that well but my Journey RT is a gas guzzler. I use the remote starter since temps are at -30 C. I even have proof, my last few tanks I've done are at 29.7L/100kms with 100% city stop and go traffic so I don't know who's the genius that calculated 13.1L/100Km for city driving. It's more than double! My uncle's Jeep with a 3.6 is getting 13L/100kms in mixed driving, although he does have the 8 speed trans. Here's the pic of my EVIC. BTW, the low tire light just came on so that's not the cause. This problem has been since day 1 and I'm at 30000kms...

post-3153-0-15557400-1423078955_thumb.jp

I myself wouldn't say my Journey is a gas guzzler but does get a little worse than the average. You can see nearly 5 years of data at the link below, www.myfuelly.com. In my case it is real world stuff, I live on the Canadian Prairies where in winter warming up a car in winter is just a fact of life. We tend to have large amounts of snow and very cold weather. My gas mileage definitely takes a kicking during this time of year.

Terry

@Defender007: Remote start definitely hurts mine... I am in the 18-19 mpg during the winter. There are only a few things that really affect mileage (or whatever it is called in the metric system) besides driving habits. I would assume that you have checked all of those? Mine got significantly better around the 8,000 mi mark, but you've more than doubled that already.

Edited by Lobitz68

In US numbers, I'm at 7.95 miles per gallon and the car has almost 19000 miles. So I would say that it's passed the break-in. I even swapped out the 5W30 oil for some Mobil 1 0W30 oil just to try and help it out but it did nothing. I'm wondering if a K&N would make a difference. Hell, last night i put in premium fuel because I keep seing that regular could have 10% ethanol in there and premiun doesn't. We'll see...

agree with redtomatoman get it back to the dealer for a check up 17-20 in the city and 22-27 MPG on the road is what you should be seeing and i have the K-N air filter had it on my 2011 and kept it for my 2014 but i didnt see any real improvment in mpg maybee 1 mpg but not for sure and i check every tankfull so this is real advice that i am telling you. MPG depends on so many factors that is why so many different post

If I remember correctly defender007 let's it idle for a very long time in the winter on top of that the vehicle sees 100% city driving which will never give the vehicle an opportunity to drop the fuel mileage numbers but instead keeps adding to it every morning at morning at start up. Since I have now taken over driving the Journey full time I have noticed in really cold weather at startup that the vehicle revs pretty high for a while and will start to make the fuel consumption numbers jump very quickly. Any of those number gains I lose because it is all highway driving to work and back. My other observation I find is that the fuel mileage really drops when the vehicle is hot at full operating temperature so after 5-10 minutes on the highway I start to see then fuel numbers drop much more rapidly. You won't lower your numbers if you are always city driving with constant stop and go especially in the winter. You need to go on a long highway drive on a Sunday morning with no traffic and see if those numbers begin to drop quickly as I mentioned if it doesn't then yes you definitely have a problem.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

If I remember correctly defender007 let's it idle for a very long time in the winter on top of that the vehicle sees 100% city driving which will never give the vehicle an opportunity to drop the fuel mileage numbers but instead keeps adding to it every morning at morning at start up. Since I have now taken over driving the Journey full time I have noticed in really cold weather at startup that the vehicle revs pretty high for a while and will start to make the fuel consumption numbers jump very quickly. Any of those number gains I lose because it is all highway driving to work and back. My other observation I find is that the fuel mileage really drops when the vehicle is hot at full operating temperature so after 5-10 minutes on the highway I start to see then fuel numbers drop much more rapidly. You won't lower your numbers if you are always city driving with constant stop and go especially in the winter. You need to go on a long highway drive on a Sunday morning with no traffic and see if those numbers begin to drop quickly as I mentioned if it doesn't then yes you definitely have a problem.

I believe he said it has done this since day one... I know winter is long in Canada, but it's not that long! There is definitely an issue beyond long warm ups and city driving. 8mpg is INSANE...

Wow, that is freaking horrible mileage! I'd be interested to see if the spark plugs are fuel soaked or if it's running really rich. What kind of highway mileage do you get?

On the highway when I took it about 700 kms to PA (lots of mountains too) which comes out to about 450 miles, I managed to drop it down to 8.8L/100kms doing 120KM/H, which comes out to about 26.8 MPG. I freaked! It was the first time I saw the DTE over 450 kms lol. When I filled it it showed 802 KM DTE!!! That's what I don't understand, it's like a Dr Jekyl and Ms Hyde

My wife drives it full city. She drives about 10 miles to get to work and 10 to get back. Stop and go city driving. In the summer, the lowest I have seen is 21.9L/100 KMS or 10.8MPG. Yes, it's insane. I sold her 5.9L Grand Cherokee and it got 7-8 MPG but at least it was paid off and insurance was dirt cheap. Had i known I would have kept it!

I'm wondering if I should plug the block heater every night maybe it will make a difference? I don't know what do to with the damn thing it's really pissing me off. I like the room, the options everything about the car except the fuel consumption. I had taken it to the dealer in the beginning for them to do a fuel ecomony test. The drove it on the highway for 50 kms (32 miles) one way at 88 KM/H (55MPH) and back the same distance and mile and they concluded there is nothing wrong with it. I told them that the problem wasn't the highway it was the city driving you idiots! I send a tweet to Chrysler USA and they are forwarding the case to their canadian office. We'll see what happens.... Should I pull a spark plug and check it?

I'm wondering if I should plug the block heater every night maybe it will make a difference? I don't know what do to with the damn thing it's really pissing me off. I like the room, the options everything about the car except the fuel consumption. I had taken it to the dealer in the beginning for them to do a fuel ecomony test. The drove it on the highway for 50 kms (32 miles) one way at 88 KM/H (55MPH) and back the same distance and mile and they concluded there is nothing wrong with it. I told them that the problem wasn't the highway it was the city driving you idiots! I send a tweet to Chrysler USA and they are forwarding the case to their canadian office. We'll see what happens.... Should I pull a spark plug and check it?

If it was doing it before you changed the plugs it would have been pretty obvious when you pulled them then...

On the highway when I took it about 700 kms to PA (lots of mountains too) which comes out to about 450 miles, I managed to drop it down to 8.8L/100kms doing 120KM/H, which comes out to about 26.8 MPG. I freaked! It was the first time I saw the DTE over 450 kms lol. When I filled it it showed 802 KM DTE!!! That's what I don't understand, it's like a Dr Jekyl and Ms Hyde

See, I am not off in my diagnosis. If you were able to get it down to 8.8L so there is nothing wrong with it....it's the type of driving that is bad. Is this bumper to bumper traffic both ways every day? I know if I worked in downtown Toronto my numbers would probably be the same. And if your previous vehicle posted the same numbers it definitely is the city gridlock combined with over idling when cold.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

See, I am not off in my diagnosis. If you were able to get it down to 8.8L so there is nothing wrong with it....it's the type of driving that is bad. Is this bumper to bumper traffic both ways every day? I know if I worked in downtown Toronto my numbers would probably be the same. And if your previous vehicle posted the same numbers it definitely is the city gridlock combined with over idling when cold.

Yeah, I don't think that when they calculate "city" mileage they consider 20 miles of stop and go daily... typically there are some breaks in true "city" driving.

It's not bumper-to-bumper all the time the whole way, especially on her way back there's not much traffic. Still it's deceiving when you have the sticker saying it's 13.1L/100Kms city. I knew when I bought it it wouldn't do it I figured around 17-18L/100kms would be a safe bet but not 25L+/100KMS that's ridiculous and should be considered false advertising or something

I must admit that is very poor mileage, it sounds almost too easy, but I would take it in to the dealer and see what he has to say about this problem Defensder007. I know the mileage in our winter gets much worse than the summer, but that is going way too far.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

It's not bumper-to-bumper all the time the whole way, especially on her way back there's not much traffic. Still it's deceiving when you have the sticker saying it's 13.1L/100Kms city. I knew when I bought it it wouldn't do it I figured around 17-18L/100kms would be a safe bet but not 25L+/100KMS that's ridiculous and should be considered false advertising or something

Depends on what they consider city driving. My fuel economy in the city is decent if I'm on the roads 9:00 at night when few cars are on the road but at rush hour and especially catching all the red lights (and there is a lot of them here) any gains I made on the highway is lost by the time I get home.

I must admit that is very poor mileage, it sounds almost too easy, but I would take it in to the dealer and see what he has to say about this problem Defensder007. I know the mileage in our winter gets much worse than the summer, but that is going way too far.

Terry

Terry, you've been reading my story since I bought it in 2011. My wife and I love the car. She doesn't care about the fuel but I do. I drive an F150 for work and I get better gas mileage than this! I keep telling the dealer. I'm at a new dealer now I will ask what could be done. I'm also waiting for a call back from Chrysler Canada

My (now ex) wife would complain about mileage and blew off my observations about how it is about the driver, more than the vehicle. She also ran through brakes like they were made of balsa wood. 5,000 miles a set . . .

She kept saying it was the vehicle, yet when we traded, she killed my mileage and my brakes and I got great mileage and 30,000 miles (before I traded) from the pads she had already half burned through.

After that vehicle pairing (we always had 2 of the same in the driveway) I made it a point to switch with her halfway through the ownership, fuel economy was a lot worse and brake life a lot shorter during her term with whatever vehicles we had.

Think about it.