Do you call your Journey a truck?

CDNGeer

Ok, I think this might be an interesting discussion. How many people refer to the Journey as a truck? It bothers me when CUV's and SUV's are referred to as trucks, because in my mind they are not. Unless it has a box or a fifth wheel hitch it is not a truck in my mind.

Who's with me? Against me? Any justifications to calling it a truck? Aaaaannd..... go!

Technically all a "truck" is, in the sense that you are using it is, "a wheeled, motorized vehicle meant for transporting goods/freight". So by that definition, the Journey is a truck. But also a minivan, Silverado, station wagons, and compact passenger vehicles, can also be "trucks". Haha.

Absolutely NOT a truck. With all due respect. . . It's a car. So what if it has lots of utility? So do station wagons from 1976. They are definitely not trucks. The DJ has car suspension, car towing capacity, car styling, car clearance, car everything. It comes with carpet in the "cargo" area. Trucks do not come with carpet in their cargo area. I've said it to lots of people, the DJ is the perfect marriage of the Charger and Caliber. Neither of which are trucks.

As a side note, IMHO the DJ is not an SUV either. CUV or crossover is the only category it fits into for the reasons I eluded to above. SUVs are meant for off roading, towing, loading, etc. CUVs are sporty cars that can carry all your gear. In China, the Journey is called the JCUV.

I'm sure plenty of folks will disagree with me. That's why posts like this are fun.

Peace.

Well, I also have a truck. A "real" truck.

While the DJ has some attributes of a truck; higher clearance, all-wheel drive (not 4, but, close), and lots of cargo room (although very civilized cargo room), when compared to my '11 RAM 2500 LongHorn HO CTD 4x4, the DJ is definitely more "car" than "truck" and most decidedly falls into the CUV class. I had an SUV; Jeep Hemi Commander Limited (in fact I got the Journey as a replacement for the Commander)...that's an SUV; tow rating of 7800 lbs., full time "rock climbing" 4 wheel drive and the weight and frame to handle any terrain and keep going. I was sorry to see it go, but, with the RAM added to the stable to tow the 5er, it was an unnecessary gas hog and the DJ is much better at the fuel pumps. I, originally, thought it was smaller too, but, it is actually 2 in longer, although it is about 6 in. less in height, than the Commander and has much more usable storage space than the Commander. I was a little leery of losing the full time 4 wheel drive (marvelous in the snow), but, this past winter I was pleasantly surprised at how nimble and sure footed the Journey's AWD was. Not the "rock hound" that the Commander was, but, more than acceptable for my intentions (I'm getting too old for that kind of off-roading anyway the RAM can do the off-roading that I do now; gave up my motorcycles,too - old age bites!)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bramfrank" data-cid="28515" data-time="1369070136"><p>

I call it a truck. My insurance company calls it a truck. A truck is not defined by what covers the cargo area and lots of pickups are more luxurious than the DJ.</p></blockquote>

If you can name one "truck" that comes with carpet in the cargo area, then I'll concede. To me, the DJ is a CUV which is a car. The DJ is based on the avenger platform. Anyway. . . Rams, Silverados, f-150s are trucks no matter how nice their stereo systems may be.

Peace.

If you can name one "truck" that comes with carpet in the cargo area, then I'll concede. To me, the DJ is a CUV which is a car. The DJ is based on the avenger platform. Anyway. . . Rams, Silverados, f-150s are trucks no matter how nice their stereo systems may be.

Peace.

Small pickups and delivery vans, also based automotive platforms are still trucks, albeit small ones.

And who among us would argue that full sized SUV's are also trucks (think Suburban, Expedition or Durango) and THEY have REAL carpet in the rear where the DJ has cheap fuzz.

Not that it's a huge factor, but Wikipedia shows the vehicle in Dodge's truck product time line.

What to call a vehicle has nothing to do, really, with what the insurance folks call it. If the manufacturer calls it a "truck" in their lineup, then that's what it is for the insurance company and their rate purposes. The manufacturers play a shell game with the CAFE and EPA when determining what they call a vehicle and they play "fast and loose" with the terminology. Trucks are considered outside the fleet CAFE standards and so most manufacturers do their best to have a larger percentage of vehicles fall into the truck category to improve their fleet CAFE standings. The auto manufacturers also do things to vehicle design to get classifications changed. I have a 1989 Lebaron Turbo Convertible Limited. It has a backseat that is useless, however, the backseat kept it from being considered a "sports car" and getting hit with increased penalties for fuel mileage and increased insurance rates, but, it really is a two seater sports car despite having a "back seat". I wouldn't even put children back there.

Mini-vans are also considered "trucks". As long as the CAFE standards only recognize a limited number of vehicle classes, you will find cars classed as trucks, but, that doesn't make them a "truck" in the classical "work" arena. Even considering it in the same league as panel trucks is a bit erroneous. Panel trucks and delivery trucks do not have seats and carpet in their cargo area. Even the "work/business" version of the Caravan was devoid of windows, carpeting and sound deadening in its cargo area. I don't know of any business that would consider buying a Journey as a work truck... Until such time as I see fleets of Journeys with "ROTO-ROOTER" painted on their sides or ACME PLUMBING emblazoned on them, I'll consider my Journey a CUV (mostly car) and my RAM a truck, regardless of the games the manufacturers play massaging the CAFE standards for their fleet. Because some kid may use it for delivering Dominoe's Pizzas, does not, IMHO, make it a truck. BTW, I never considered my Jeep Hemi Commander a truck either...it was a marvelous SUV; an offroad vehicle, not an offroad truck. If you want to base classes on "build", then the Commander was more tank than truck B) Of course, that's just my opinion and yes, the insurance companies and the manufacturer do classify it as a truck, but, I certainly don't consider my Journey as a truck...when I go get a load of manure I take the truck, my RAM 2500, not my 7 seater AWD Journey.

In my mind... no box or flat deck or fifth wheel hitch=no truck. Except for El Caminos... those are just weird in an awesome sort of way.

Edit: Full size SUV's are still not trucks in my mind. It is an SUV, so call it an SUV.

Edited by CDNGeer

What it really boils down to is, if what someone else calls their own vehicle really bothers you, then you have issues of your own that need to be dealt with. As for me, I'll keep calling my Journey "my truck", because I'm the one that's paying for it. Hahaha.

I don't know of any business that would consider buying a Journey as a work truck...

I have 3 on the road for my alarm company. I didn't want to buy Caravans - they're a bit too large for our needs, which is why I bought the Journeys. They size out perfectly for our needs.

Thanks for your opinion davidlb512. You many continue to call you DJ what ever you like. Please note, however, that I prefaced my statements very clearly by saying that it was my opinion that the DJ is not a truck.

Any perceived personal issues are clearly yours, and they should be dealt with accordingly.

Thanks for your opinion davidlb512. You many continue to call you DJ what ever you like. Please note, however, that I prefaced my statements very clearly by saying that it was my opinion that the DJ is not a truck.

Any perceived personal issues are clearly yours, and they should be dealt with accordingly.

Myself having the obvious idea that people can call their own vehicle whatever they want to call it, somehow equates to me having personal issues? But you directly stated that "It bothers me when CUV's and SUV's are referred to as trucks,".Hmm. Yea, I'm a real basket case dude. ;-)

But maybe I should clarify that the "you" that I used in my statement was a general "you", and not directed at any individual.

Wow! Love this thread. Real emotion. Clearly, the DJ is a car IMHO. It doesn't bother me if others call it a truck. I was simply stating my reasons for having my opinion. I'm with webslave all the way here. Its a CUV. There are no trucks with carpet or fuzz in the cargo area.

Car. . .

Peace.

I have 3 on the road for my alarm company. I didn't want to buy Caravans - they're a bit too large for our needs, which is why I bought the Journeys. They size out perfectly for our needs.

I can appreciate your having 3 for an alarm company, but, the Geek Squad used Volkswagon Beetles...is the Beetle then a truck? No argument. I don't consider an alarm company as a valid "work" unit. It is a "job", hence it is "work", but, not on the same level as Acme Painting, Roto-Rooter, Gee-Whiz Concrete and Masonry, etc.

Really, call them what ever you like; it is all a personal thing anyway. I don't go along with calling my RV a "camper" either. I can't honestly say that I camp when I'm doing it in a 4 room rolling house. In fact, my RV is one up on my house; the RV has twin A/C units, the house has zero, but, there are a lot of folks out there that insist they are "camping". When we "camped", we carried everything we needed on our backs and had to hike into where we "camped"...

FWIW, we refer to our Journey as "the car" and my Ram as "the truck". If my granddaughter is with us they are also known as "Ma Ma's Car" and "Pa Pa's Truck". :D

And to put another spin on it, a former Chrysler engineer told me that technically any vehicle less than 26,001 lbs is a "car"............

So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Ha ha!

As far as campers vs RV's:

camping = Tents

5th wheelers/campers = RVing

JMHO, but if you're pulling an RV, it's really not camping. Camping (to me) means "roughing" it to some extent. Hard to consider and RV "roughing it", but I guess it depends on what your definition of "roughing it" is.

My sentiments on the Rving, but, don't go to one of the RV sites and try and tell them that it isn't camping! I made that statement once...must have been 3 pages of folks telling me that it was, indeed, camping using various forms of language. I've backpacked all over this great country and England and know what "camping" is. When I get out of my reclining outdoor chair, even if I am sitting around a fire (I have a fire ring at my house, too.) and go inside to my lounge chair and turn on the 32" flat screen and pop a DVD in, after adjusting the living room A/C a tad cooler while the wife whips up a snack in the kitchen and then later, mosey on upstairs to my Queen sized bed in the bedroom with a door so that the wife can continue watching television or weaving on her loom that is where the dining room would be, without disturbing me; I don't call that camping. It is RVing, or "glamping", if you must, however, if you look up the definition of "camping" in Webster's, RVing does qualify as "camping" by the strictest definition of the term.

Much like calling the DJ a truck...it is all a matter of perception. Those of us with real trucks would never consider the DJ a truck, but, since the manufacturer "calls" it a truck, no matter the reason (political manuevering) and the insurance companies insure it as a truck because of that, then technically, you can call it a truck and not be wrong. If you go to the other forum, the Journey and the Caravan are, indeed, listed with the "trucks". Then again, I don't consider the Escalade to be a truck, either... If I ever see one with a load of anything (ever seen one with a load of lumber or manure or mulch or gravel?) I might, just might, rethink it. I come from the old school, I guess. If you won't put a ton of gravel or a couple of front end loader's worth of loose mulch or at least three pallets of stuff in it, it isn't a truck; if you are worried about what the inside or the bed looks like, it isn't a real truck. Real trucks get beat up doing real work. My "truck" is the Longhorn version; very plush, laser etched leather throughout, not only are the seats heated, they're cooled (I miss that in my Journey) and more electronic gizmos than I know what to do with (wish my Journey had the "park position" seats, memory recall for seat, mirrors and pedal position, too), but, I don't bat an eyelash at loading the bed up with whatever needs to be trucked somewhere and I don't clean the mud off my boots before I get in... Of course, I paid a lot more for the truck than the Journey...those extras I miss don't come free!

BTW, my mom, bless her heart, maintained that "roughing it" was a Holiday Inn and anything else was simply barbaric...

So... Call your DJ a truck and if you are in your RV, call it "camping"( I don't do either, my DJ is a CUV or "the car" and my Cougar is a "coach" or "RV" and we go touring or just "on a trip", not "camping")...the definition requirements are met for both, although, the definition of a vehicular truck; "Motor vehicle designed to carry freight or heavy articles" is a bit of stretch for the DJ. Using that "loose" definition for the DJ being a "truck" means that any vehicle can be a truck as they all have "trunks" with which to carry "freight". :hearseespeak: