Cruise control not working

Dyer89

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a problem with the cruise control on my '12 Journey, it is intermittent and to get it working (power button) I have to turn the steering wheel and sometime to disengage it on the highway I have to use the brake pedal, as the switch wont work. The dealer already replace a part in the steering column (a clutch???) twice and it's doing it again after a month or so (they replaced the switch once also). Has anyone seen that before?

Not completely sure about the differences, but the clock spring and the SCCM (steering column control module) are involved in the communication between the steering wheel switches and the mothership. I had the same problem. The dealer replaced my switch first. The SCCM fixed the problem. Good luck.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support
Hi, I have a problem with the cruise control on my '12 Journey, it is intermittent and to get it working (power button) I have to turn the steering wheel and sometime to disengage it on the highway I have to use the brake pedal, as the switch wont work. The dealer already replace a part in the steering column (a clutch???) twice and it's doing it again after a month or so (they replaced the switch once also). Has anyone seen that before?

gagles,

Just following up on this thread. Did you get a chance to take your DJ to the dealer and have it looked over? If so what did the dealer have to say?

My DJ has issues with the cruise control power button - it is intermittently not responding to presses - when it decides to act up you can press all you want. If you cycle power it usually comes back to life - sometimes it will simply start to function after a few minutes of leaving it alone - not likely the clockspring because the other steering wheel functions are working when the Cruise power does not.

So it seems to likely be a software issue - and I need to bring it in for a small oil leak in any case, so it is just another item for the list.

I'm going this afternoon to the dealer to get it fix again. I hope they will find the real problem, because when I called to get an appointment I told them it was the 3rd time I was in for this problem and said that I hope they would find the right fix, and they told me that they went by what the computer told them. So I told them that maybe their computer had the wrong diagnostic (they didn't like that!) Today I'll ask them if they can replace the SCCM (steering column control module) (as they did for Redtomotaman). Will see.

This weekend I got it working by slapping on the side of the steering column!

They did not replace the SCCM, instead they told me that they contacted Chrysler and I wasn't the only one with this problem. They ordered a cable assembly for it and it should get here within 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes after that get replaced.

• 4 months later...

Same intermittent issue with my 2011 Dodge Journey. The cruise control will not reliably engage nor disengage using the switches on the steering wheel.

My symptoms are identical to those other posts in this forum. Usually the cruise control will work perfectly. Other times I must wait a short period of time before the system turns on. The Cancel operation is more likely to fail than the On operation. Pressing the brake pedal will ALWAYS cancel the cruise control system.

The first time the local Dodge dealer replaced the SCCM (2-3 visits required) . Next the switch on the steering wheel. This was done twice. I called Chrysler Group LLC Customer Center twice. Now a case manager will get back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did the exact same twice in the past two weeks. I have to drive about 10-15 minutes before it "wakes up". The last time, I stopped playing with it and actually forgot about it then all of a sudden the main cruise light appeared in the display in the middle of the gauge cluster.

I didn't bother bringing it in since I know it's hard to pinpoint a problem when it actually works.

Let me know if there is a fix. If it becomes an issue, I would like to bring it in before the warranty ends.

• Official Dodge Support

Mine did the exact same twice in the past two weeks. I have to drive about 10-15 minutes before it "wakes up". The last time, I stopped playing with it and actually forgot about it then all of a sudden the main cruise light appeared in the display in the middle of the gauge cluster.

I didn't bother bringing it in since I know it's hard to pinpoint a problem when it actually works.

Let me know if there is a fix. If it becomes an issue, I would like to bring it in before the warranty ends.

alainbock,

You are absolutely right, it can be difficult for your dealer to identify any issues when certain features are working perfectly.

How intermittent is the cruise issue, you can try and book an appointment with service if you can predict when it may happen.

• Official Dodge Support

DodgeCAcares,

The problem hasn't happened since. I use my cruise often and it's only done it twice in the whole year and a half I've owned it. I will keep an eye on it rhough. I'm up to 67000s already and that's the only issue I've ever had with the vehicle.

alainbock,

Thanks for the update!

I would consider this very intermittent based on the frequency of the event. Good call though, keep an eye on things and keep your dealer in the loop.

Take care!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There are some really useful tips in here. I checked my fuse,  it was fine,. Disconnected the battery for half an hour and reconnected it still wouldn't work. In frustration I released the steering wheel tilt and bang the steering wheel up and down 3 or 4 times, hard, right to the top and bang to the bottom. Now my cruise control works! Must be a faulty wire  or connector in there.  Hope this helps someone. 

Its a piece of metal that keeps constant electrical contact for all the switches on the steering wheel as the wheel is turned.  I have a steering wheel puller in my tool box when I used to be able to swap out my steering wheel for a custom or wood one.  The way things are made today, I'm not sure if it is still usable!

2 hours ago, Pacific Terrific said:

I understand that messing around with the steering wheel can be hazardous hazardous because of the air bag in there. I am quite good about repairing things, but I'm hesitant to get into that area even though I have Haynes  manual for my vehicle

Virtually every operation involving the electrical aspects of the vehicle starts off with 'disconnect the battery'.

Do that and you'll be safe.