2013 R/T AWD - Navigation not working

• Official Dodge Support

Just picked up my 2013 R/T AWD. So far only one glitch.

One thing is that the navigation does not seem to be working. Not sure if I have to do anything or program anything, but I figure it should work.

Any tips on this or something I should know about.

Will talk to the dealership tomorrow about this.

Thanks.

JourneyGirl,

There should be no trick to the nav system. Hopefully the dealer will be able to solve the issue quickly for you. Keep us updated please.

Edited by DodgeCares

• Official Dodge Support

I know! That's the kicker. You'd think that they would have tested it. But who knows.

Lets hope this gets resolved.

If you go to the link below, put in 2013 Journey, and select User Guide it has a lot of handy information.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

• Official Dodge Support

Thank you, however we scoured everything and watched the video. Nothing helps. We press the Nav button and we have a black screen.

Hopefully the dealer can quickly figure it out. Keep us posted please.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my 2013 R/T AWD. So far only one glitch.

One thing is that the navigation does not seem to be working. Not sure if I have to do anything or program anything, but I figure it should work.

Any tips on this or something I should know about.

Will talk to the dealership tomorrow about this.

Thanks.

How did you make out at the dealership? Did you get it corrected? I'm still waiting for mine.

This is on behalf of White2013JourneyGirl,

The navigation unit is defective according to the dealer.

They have the part on order, but it is back ordered and they don’t know when it will arrive.

Journey girl is pretty pissed about it as she has a brand new truck with no navigation.

While it is probably not common, it is still very annoying.

@DodgeCares: Anything you can do about speeding up the delivery of the navigation unit to our dealer. Feel free to PM me.

• Official Dodge Support

They have the part on order, but it is back ordered and they don’t know when it will arrive.

Journey girl is pretty pissed about it as she has a brand new truck with no navigation.

@DodgeCares: Anything you can do about speeding up the delivery of the navigation unit to our dealer. Feel free to PM me.

PM me the Vin and part number is you have it and I will check on it for her.

Jeez! Is everything Dodge backordered? We are still waiting for our hitch after many months!

Just phoned the dealer again today to see if anything has changed.

Still on backorder, which means they are waiting for supply from the manufacturer........

How can we speed that up!

I want first dibs on this as this thing was defective from the factory!!!!

This may well be our first and last Chrysler/Ddoge/Jeep product........

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Received communication from both our dealer and DodgeCares on November 20. The navigation unit arrived at the dealer on November 16, but no one contacted us until the 20th.....not impressed.

Dealer wanted to book us in the following week when it was convenient for them, "convinced" the dealer to let us drop it off today.

Dealer phoned back later this morning to report that the defective part was replaced but in the process they broke the bezel around the radio.

No dealer in BC has the part in stock and therefore it is being shipped from Toronto.

This means we received a 2013 Journey with a defective Nav unit that no one noticed prior to delivery. How hard is it for the manufacturing plant or dealer to ensure the major systems work before delivering to the customer.

We have already had to bring the vehicle to the dealer twice and now a third time. (We have opted not to pick up the vehicle until it has been fixed completely as it is more of a hassle to pick it up and drop it off again than to just leave it there.)

I believe DodgeCares may have been able to expedite the delivery of the unit, which we appreciate.

I just wish the dealer’s service techs were competent enough not to break the bezel.

I know how fragile they can be, but if you take your time it is easy to avoid damaging these parts.

I hate to say this, but I think this will likely be our first and last Dodge......I am a big fan of a lot of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products, but this is a bit much and has definately rattled my cage.

If it was used I might be able to understand, but this thing had 5km on it when we picked it up with the defective Nav unit......

Am I over reacting? Flame away if you must.

Update 2:

I spoke to soon, the dealer got smart and swaped out the piece they broke with one from another new Journey on the lot so we don't have to wait for the part to come in.

My wife is quite excited, she will get to use her GPS finally.

It's amazing how handy it is as a tool.

Thanks again to DodgeCares and I commend Destination Chrsler, Dodge, Jeep of North Vancouver for making things right in the end.

*fingers crossed nothing else happens today...*

• Official Dodge Support

Update 2:

I spoke to soon, the dealer got smart and swaped out the piece they broke with one from another new Journey on the lot so we don't have to wait for the part to come in.

My wife is quite excited, she will get to use her GPS finally.

It's amazing how handy it is as a tool.

Thanks again to DodgeCares and I commend Destination Chrsler, Dodge, Jeep of North Vancouver for making things right in the end.

*fingers crossed nothing else happens today...*

I hope that all is resolved now so your wife can enjoy her new Journey.

• 1 month later...

Hello again.....

Well, over the holidays our newly installed head unit decided to do it again.

This time the sirius radio quit.

As of this morning Dodge has determined that it is defective and will require replacement.

The dealer has told me that there were a number of defective units installed in 2013 Dodge Journey's.

We are now back to square one.

We have a head unit that does not work correctly and has required many trips to the dealer to diagnose.

(During this trip the dealer did not look at the issue until the afternoon and needed to phone the engineering hotline, which is out of Ontario, we are on the West Coast....)

So now the dealer has ordered a new unit that may arrive in a week or more....he is not sure.....

This is so frustrating!!!!

@DodgeCares - Please expidite this order as this will be the second unit in our NEW 2013 Dodge Journey.........Can you also provide forum members with the VIN #'s of effected Journey's so the owners can be proactive and have replacement units ordered now, before they become an issue. Can you also talk to Sirius and have them extend our subscription once we determine how long we will be without our radio.

/end rant

Wow. I feel your pain. My 2011 was one of the few with a defective cam phaser. The dealer had to keep my vehicle for 10 days while the part was ordered and they cracked my brand new engine open! It has been a few months and I think I'm over it now. At the time I was pretty pissed at Dodge. But I came to realize that sometimes s#!t just happens. All Dodge can do is try to fix things back to good asap. I understand that this is your second repair. Hopefully your last. Just remember this. . . Have some restraint with the service folks. They are the only ones that can repair your DJ. When my cam phaser went bad, I really felt like losing my mind. Glad now that I didn't. I have a service manager as an ally now. Anyway, best of luck to you and I hope you grow to like your DJ as much as I have.

I have a surf/mountain bike trip planned for the DJ over the next week. Great vehicle.

Peace.

I appreciate your feedback redtomatoman and I totally understand the importance of having a good relationship with the dealer.

But my issue has been the dealers lack of interest in being proactive and not planning accordingly.
We dropped our journey off at 8am, they didn't look at it until 3pm on a friday......
Tell us they will need it back Monday morning, I would have left it but my wife needed her car.
The dealer doesn't provide a loaner for service.

I know the dealer is not responsible for the defective part, but the dealer is responsible for repairing and diagnosing problems.
They knew what the issue was and it was more than likely that they would have had to call the engineering line, but they ignored it until the afternoon.
It was a waste of our time to even take the car in.

I am frustrated with the whole situation, but I am even more frustrated with the dealer in that they wasted our time.
The dealer said that the only tech qualified to diagnose the issue was working on another vehicle from the previous few days.
Why book me in if he knew that his tech would be busy all day.
Makes no sense.....

I am a pretty reasonable person, but I have been dealing with the service manager and in some respects he has really impressed me, but in many more he has not.
I don't care about any of the other customers as they are his problem, I only care that he is telling me the truth and making smart decisions.
My time is just as important as the next customer, so it makes no sense to waste it when he could have said, you know, we might not be able to get to the vehicle on Friday, it may be better to bring it in Monday morning.
Simple....right?

Anyway, I am not here to debate the merits of having a dealer in your corner or to find the best way to run a service department, I just want Dodge to be proactive and make replacement units available asap. Having a dealer tell you it could be here in a week, but he is not sure does not instill confidence. Especially after my last run around with this same unit.

Chrysler service sucks (Chrysler service desks always believe in finding a fault with the vehicle which is not covered under the extended warranty, I will never buy a Chrysler because their service desk suck and I have tried them in many provinces so I have to believe that is is a Chrysler problem)!

Intro: I am a technology expert with reciprocal ISO-9001 training, I know technology (Electronics, IT, RF, Hardware, Mechanics, etc)!

The Journey has some problem with the navigation boot up. I believe it is some battery sensor. Also, since the computer in the VES is Linux based (which is fantastic) it may sometimes go into a 'disk check' mode.

I just shutdown the car for about half an hour (or remove the battery) and the car/VES/navigation works again. The problem is more apparent when the battery is getting weaker.

Note; I don't take my Journey/RT to Chrysler anymore, the car 'breaks' more often when I take it in. For example, I paid $200+ for a 60 something point check and the very next day my transmission cooling cable blew. I am assuming that the check was never done and there is a good chance that my Journey somehow 'swapped' its part with another Journey (like Herbie - Love Bug). :)

I have owned and used over 45 cars in my life, I know good ones and bad ones, the Dodge Journey R/T (09) is a good vehicle, but Chrysler service, I believe, cause it to break. Since I stopped taking my car in to Chrysler it has stopped breaking.

Other gimmicks they try are 'we cannot find the VIN in our system so you will need to pay for the service'. When you ask for that in writing they refuse it and when your threaten to sue 'oh it just came up - must be a computer glitch'.

I look after it myself, after paying for the extended warranty.

NEVER BUYING CHRYSLER, NEVER VISITING A SHOW ROOM, NEVER BUYING AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!