2010 Key Fob Battery Change - HELP!!!

I think battery is weak in both fobs. Have to hit 5 or six times to lock or unlock doors. Ask Dodge service mgr how to open key fob to change batteries and he did not know. Book says there is a door on back of fob but there is not. Also was told if I pried it open and broke it, they would not be covered by warranty because of neglect and I broke it. The vehicle is a 2010 Dodge Journey Crew with less than 20,000 miles. Is there a warranty on the key fobs or not, and how do you get to the battery?

Personally I have changed the batteries in both my key fobs. I too have a 2010 Dodge Journey. If you really want to be careful. remove the "valet" key first. You actually don't have to pry too hard to separate the halves and then just replace the battery. Just a note of caution, make sure the battery is installed correct side up, I made the mistake of installing it upside down (not comparing it to the other one) and for a day or two could not figure out why it never worked.

BTW batteries are considered a consumable product and no subject to a warranty.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 6 months later...
I tried prying my key but i dont want to break. So i wasn't putting that much force in to it.

Please see my post above, it really doesn't take much force to pry apart the two halves, I have found it is much easier with the valet key removed.

Terry

• 7 months later...

just replaced the battery in my wifes remote a few days ago ,did mine last year buy at walmart cr2032 they come 2 to a pack about $5 or $6. do like windancer said. i used a kitchen pairing knife as a penny or dime didnt want to fit, just put the blade in the slit long wise and then twist the blade mine came apart real easy. just check how you take the old one out then put the new one in that easy.

FROM THE 2010 JOURNEY SERVICE MANUAL:

08 - Electrical/8N - Power Systems/Power Locks/TRANSMITTER, Integrated Key FOB/Standard Procedure FOBIK TRANSMITTER BATTERY REPLACEMENT

FOBIK WITH BATTERY COVER

1953754.jpg

NOTE: Do not disturb the metal terminal near the battery. Avoid touching the new battery. Skin oils may cause battery deterioration. If battery are touched, clean with rubbing alcohol.

To replace the FOBIK transmitter battery:

1. Using a small flat bladed tool, carefully remove the battery cover on the back of the FOBIK.

1953797.jpg

2. Remove the battery one at a time by slightly lifting up and sliding out from the FOBIK .

3. Replace the battery with the same type of battery cell.

4. Install the battery with the positive terminal up.

5. Install battery cover and snap into place.

6. Test FOBIK operation.

FOBIK WITHOUT BATTERY COVER

1953825.jpg

NOTE: Do not disturb the metal terminal near the battery. Avoid touching the new battery. Skin oils may cause battery deterioration. If battery are touched, clean with rubbing alcohol.

This design is a clam shell design whereby both halves are split apart.

1. Remove the valet/spare key from the FOBIK if present.

2. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, carefully separate the top half from the bottom half.

1953868.jpg

3. Lift up on the battery to remove.

4. Replace battery with the same type of cell.

5. Install new battery negative side up.

6. Snap the top and bottom halves together.

7. Test FOBIK operation.

Edited by Journeyman425

• 4 weeks later...

Just my two cents worth, but I too had problems with my remote, believing the battery was weak. A quick internet search will tell you there is definitely a design problem with the battery compartment. If you put pressure on the battery contact area of the case while trying to operate the remote will usually cause it to work properly. Since the remote is not covered under the warranty, ever, you're on your own.

Since you can program a new key fob on your own if you have two working remotes, the secret is to buy a new remote (from eBay) before one of them stops working. Otherwise you'll have to have the dealer program the new remote for you, and dealers charge anywhere from $50-$150 for this service. A new remote purchased from the Internet can be had for as little as $25 and then if you program it yourself, this is cheap insurance. But remember for this to work you have to do it while you have two working keys (most everyone waits till they need one) and then they're at the mercy of the dealer!

Hope this helps, and Happy Motoring.....

• 4 months later...