Got a rear diff leak on your Journey

Moparman

Just put a front input seal in the rear diff on my Journey this week. Started leaking at about 5k. As far as I can tell this only effects 11 and 12s. They were previously sealed with no seals available, accept axles seals,had to put whole unit in. Now an input seal is available. Its been updated and is about twice as wide, and now double lip. Must be a recent update, as mine was built march 2012. Just thought you might like to know there was an updated part

• 2 weeks later...

What are you not happy about? Did they not fix it? No one makes a perfect car. Not sure why people expect zero problems, never going to happen.

People expect a new car not to have issues that could possibly leave them stranded on the road.

That's the reason people pay 30k for a new car, instead of paying 15k for a used one.

I was ok with my car having defects and problems, I would've bought a used 07 Pacifica for less than 10k.

Edited by Mcgusto82

People expect a new car not to have issues that could possibly leave them stranded on the road.

How is a leaking axle seal going to "strand" anyone??

That's the reason people pay 30k for a new car, instead of paying 15k for a used one.

I was ok with my car having defects and problems, I would've bought a used 07 Pacifica for less than 10k.

And you think a 5 yr old car is going to ride/drive/have all the latest tech goodies/look as good as the new one?

They don't make a trouble free car, nore will they ever, you couldn't afford it if they did. The sooner people get their head out of their asses and realize that, the better off you'll be. Cars take a huge amount of abuse driving in the conditions they do,and last WAY longer than they used to. The little things that people get wound up about make me laugh.

I perfectly understand that no man made machine will ever be perfect.

That doesn't mean I should accept it breaking down so early in its life.

I myself work on 100k sterilizers, THEY break down, some customers accept it as is, some make a fuzz about it. Guess who gets their sterilizers fixed first??

I just guess I don't consider a simple seal leak , as "broke down" .........Its a simple easy fix, and no big deal really.

I don't think the engineers at Dodge are looking into the DJ's defects. As simple as this "seal leak" should not be happening especially since the 2012 version is the 4th year they are making this model.

And don't get me started about the premature brake wearing and rotor problems.

QA and testing could be better.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Revised seal, different diff. Well throw that out the window 2013 journey now 6,000mi has leaking diff guess the updates didn't help. And I know all about no one makes a perfect car as I am an ase master tech myself and this is ridiculous they have been out since 09 bugs should be worked out by now. Wish I would've did some research before I spent 30,000 on a car with these problems.

Revised seal, different diff. Well throw that out the window 2013 journey now 6,000mi has leaking diff guess the updates didn't help. And I know all about no one makes a perfect car as I am an ase master tech myself and this is ridiculous they have been out since 09 bugs should be worked out by now. Wish I would've did some research before I spent 30,000 on a car with these problems.

My 12' is dry as a bone. Your case is rare. If you bought it new then you should have a warranty. Take it to your dealer and let them get you going. I also had a leaky diff seal on my 08 Ram shortly after I bought it. I had it fixed and haven't had a problem since. Best truck I have ever owned.

BTW, although the Journey has been out since 09, the drivetrain was totally revised for 2011 and current models.

Good luck finding a perfect car...

No such thing as a perfect car and if you had read my post you would know that...also yes my warranty covers it. But 6,000 miles seems a little sketchy. And the big question is will it ever be right again after they disassemble the case? Yes if a good qualified tech does it should be no worries. I have been in this industry for a while now and have found very few dealerships that have done good quality work. Seen it with my own eyes. When I took it to them for oil change my wife left and just happend to se in small print " has rear diff leak" they didn't even tell her. When i called them they said it would have to run a while to pinpoint the leak...yet it had a drip according to them. When she got home I put it on my lift and could clearly see where it was coming from and it wouldn't have made it till next service. It wasn't checked even after they noticed the leak. It was low and getting lower. This is the third time with two different vehicles I have had to diagnose for them...unfortunately it is the only dodge dealership nearby.

No such thing as a perfect car and if you had read my post you would know that...also yes my warranty covers it. But 6,000 miles seems a little sketchy. And the big question is will it ever be right again after they disassemble the case? Yes if a good qualified tech does it should be no worries. I have been in this industry for a while now and have found very few dealerships that have done good quality work. Seen it with my own eyes. When I took it to them for oil change my wife left and just happend to se in small print " has rear diff leak" they didn't even tell her. When i called them they said it would have to run a while to pinpoint the leak...yet it had a drip according to them. When she got home I put it on my lift and could clearly see where it was coming from and it wouldn't have made it till next service. It wasn't checked even after they noticed the leak. It was low and getting lower. This is the third time with two different vehicles I have had to diagnose for them...unfortunately it is the only dodge dealership nearby.

I am not fond of most dealers as well but sometimes you must do what is necessary to get results. Owning a Journey can be a great experience when things are right. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Rear diff leak looks innocent enough however it gets much much worse. we have a 2012 journey that started with a leak progressed to a noise which our dealer Leduc Chrysler could not repair after 3 attempts the rear end was replaced at 17000 kms and this weekend the new rear end locked up at highway speeds sending us into a skid down the road causing other motorists to swerve around us and almost giving me a heart attack as well as my wife daughter and son thankfully no one was injured and we managed to get the vehicle to the side of the road.To say these cars have engineering issues would be a gross understatement they are unsafe to operate and dealers cannot repair them. That being said we will wait and see what dodge will do for a replacement vehicle as we will not be driving this one anymore. keep in mind all of this within20000 kms. I would advise any one with rear diff problems to get rid of their car as soon as possible to avoid the hell me and my family have been put through.

Rear diff leak looks innocent enough however it gets much much worse. we have a 2012 journey that started with a leak progressed to a noise which our dealer Leduc Chrysler could not repair after 3 attempts the rear end was replaced at 17000 kms and this weekend the new rear end locked up at highway speeds sending us into a skid down the road causing other motorists to swerve around us and almost giving me a heart attack as well as my wife daughter and son thankfully no one was injured and we managed to get the vehicle to the side of the road.To say these cars have engineering issues would be a gross understatement they are unsafe to operate and dealers cannot repair them. That being said we will wait and see what dodge will do for a replacement vehicle as we will not be driving this one anymore. keep in mind all of this within20000 kms. I would advise any one with rear diff problems to get rid of their car as soon as possible to avoid the hell me and my family have been put through.

Dang man, that really sucks. Glad you and your family are ok.

This sounds like an incompetent dealer issue. I would march to the dealer and put a foot in someone's ass if this happened to me and my kids. This is totally unacceptable and I don't know why they replaced your entire differential when it was just leaking. But either way someone obviously didn't know what they were doing when they replaced your diff. I hope you got a police report, it will help make a case if the dealer gives you grief.

I feel for you as I have kids to and I cant imagine if this happened to me. Anyways good luck to you and your family.

• 1 month later...

Owning a Dodge Journey could also be the biggest mistake of your life. I now also have a rear diff leak. We have had issues from day one with brake pads & rotors. In addition to the leak the AC vents are stuck in the floor mode. oh and since I'm on a rant, any car that requires the left front wheel to be removed to change the battery probably should have been a red flag to run!!!! I still will never forget the salesman sales pitch "you get a lot for your money with this car" He was right about that. A lot of headaches & B.S.