What oil do you use?

• Official Dodge Support

I switched over to synthetic and use whatever synthetic oil is on sale (Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Castrol and/or Valvoline). As far as which is the best oil to use that is entirely up to you. All synthetic oils are good to use as long as it meets Chrysler MS-6395 specs and has the API stamp. You also want to use a good quality filter like the Mopar filter with your synthetic oil change.

I suggest the Mopar filter as well.

just changed my oil again this time i removed the engine cover instead of trying to do it thur the little hole. was much easier(just lift up on the back side and then the front it just pops off) i had asked the dodge service manager about how it came off and they said it didnt. oh well i had the last oil change done by the dodge dealership and man did they overtighten the oil filter cap which wouldnt come loose with the wrech it kept wanting to slip with the wrench had to use a big set of vice grips. got it off without damaging the rubber nut on it,i put in the new oil filter and o ring from dodge $7.16 plus tax and tightened back up like i have always done on older filters hand tightened as much as i could then 1/4 turn with wrench. then put in my syn oil. and then put the top cover back on. have to get a bigger oil catch pan as 5.5 quarts fills my pan to the top.. made a mess trying to lift and drain back into the used oil jug.. lol have 36k on it now and it doesnt lose a bit of oil between oil changes

Mornin all!

I'm not going to go on and on, you all seem to know what is expected and how to take care of your DJs.

What i have attached is a PDF of what has been sent out to dealers as hand out to customers as a pocket reference. (obviously condenced)

Hope it helps!

So there IS a pretty big difference. Good to know.

• 4 weeks later...
We have now completed 2 oil changes (1 free at dealer / 1 in the driveway) and both were done with Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W20. As others have said, I purchase and stockpile whatever's on sale but it will always be synthetic. As DODGECARES has pointed out, we also used Mopar filters.

Just remember to save all those receipts of oil and filter purchases for warranty purposes.

I have not heard this before. Are you saying that we must provide proof of oil changes?

Yes. If oil changes are relevant to the warranty work and the dealer believes that the problems may have been caused by owner negligence.

I keep a book of all my service receipts as well as those silly maintenance sheets from the manual. I actually have the dealer sign those things. I'm sure the service folks think I'm a car geek, but they show my effort to maintain my vehicle per the manufacturer's recommendations. I think all this service recording is a pain, but if I have it, I'll likely never need it. I'm sure, if I never made any effort to record any of my maintenance, regardless of how good my maintenance was, my DJ would burst into flames and I'd be arguing with the service folks, sans documentation, about who's gonna pay for the repairs. :spend:

Peace.

Same here RTM...I actually created a Maintenance Log on computer and describe all the service work I do and staple all the receipts with that sheet for proof of maintenance. I know I was reading at another site, (maybe it was the Jeep forum) one of the guys who was a service tech warned members to save all receipts of any DIY servicing as Chrysler was now requesting this for proof of maintenance in order to get warranty work approved. It does sound reasonable to me if the proof can be given with no hassle from the dealer.

Thank you all for letting me know. I plan to do my first oil change on my wife's Dodge J soon and will keep records of everything.

Any suggestions on filters for the cartridge?

I don't like to go cheap with oil filters so I only use original Mopar filters I pick up from the parts department.....very good quality.

I don't like to go cheap with oil filters so I only use original Mopar filters I pick up from the parts department.....very good quality.

Ditto to this for me. I have found that the my dealer is as cheap if not cheaper than any oil change outfit out there. And they use mopar parts. And if they screw something up, I know it will be fixed correctly without any hassles. And, if there are any updates to be applied, I will have them do that at the same time. I plan to get the tranny TSB applied at my next oil change, for instance.

Peace.

I only use mopar filters too. Just FYI, I got a 10 pack of them (you read that right) for $30 shipped on ebay. And yes, they are original oem filters. I compared them side-by-side with the one purchased at the parts department for $7. Great deal!

Would you mind posting a link?

• Official Dodge Support

I just want to make sure that everyone is aware that you would only be required to show proof of oil change receipts for warranty or service contract work in cases that may arise where sludge or something like that is apparent to the repairing dealer. You will not be required to prove maintenance for every repair. I think most people understand this, but we still get some people that think they must bring all repair receipts for every service visit so I thought I would just post it again as the subject came up here.

I also agree that the Mopar filters can be found in most areas for a very reasonable price, even without a bulk discount.

Would you mind posting a link?

Sorry, I bought the last one (and it was $35 shipped, my bad). Just search ebay occasionally for the part #68079744AB.

I bought it from this seller, he seems to sell them often: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190759307278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2574wt_1027