Dummy dimmer switch

Psyke

Hi folks,

Has anyone been told that the secondary dimmer switch in their Journey (2011 or 2012), which is supposed to control the door/map pocket lights (according to the manual), is actually a dummy switch? I have lighting in the map/bottle holder area, and it's dimmed by the main dimmer switch. The secondary switch doesn't do anything at all. (door panel lights don't dim with either switch).

thanks!

Steph S.

We've had this discussion before. The 2nd dimmer switch absolutely does dim the door map pocket lights on my 2011. Maybe they changed it for 2012 so that it no longer serves that purpose, since it is completely useless on 2011 models because those tiny lights are already very dim at max brightness?

no, mine does nothing at all; Cup holders get adjusted by the principle dimmer switch, and the change is significant enough. The door lights (switches and map holder light) don't dim at all. Also, on the 4.3 screen, there's brightness settings and only the "with headlights on" can be adjusted if I switch from Auto to day or night. I can't adjust the brightness "with headlights off" option, regardless of other settings.

The Dealership just called today to see how I've been enjoying the new DJ, and I told her while I really do like it, just little details like the above irk me, but they are things I can live with. She still suggested bringing if I wanted to go through the electronics with them. *shrug*

Edited by Psyke

• 11 months later...

If it is any consolation... My 2013 R/T only has the one dimmer switch that controls everything. The switch's faceplate is wide enough to hold two of the wheels, but, there is only one and there isn't a covered slot where a second could/would be. Just the one and it was made for only one...controls everything with the one wheel; dash, 8.4N, cup holders and footwell, map pockets, etc.

• Official Dodge Support

Psyke,

Like most options/trim levels there are variances based on build date, part availability and the way the vehicle was ordered.

If your dealer has offered to take a look at the DJ with you, I don't think that'll hurt. At least that way they can confirm and put the speculation to rest either yes its supposed to work and is defective or no it is a "dummy" switch/dimmer.

• 1 year later...