12s with AWD have bigger brakes

That's less than I would have thought. Is that a standard Chrysler offering? So in 20 years and 200,000 miles, they'll still be replacing parts on the car? In theory, you will literally never need a new car if they will keep fixing it for the rest of your life. I assume it's not transferable?

That's less than I would have thought. Is that a standard Chrysler offering? So in 20 years and 200,000 miles, they'll still be replacing parts on the car? In theory, you will literally never need a new car if they will keep fixing it for the rest of your life. I assume it's not transferable?

Yep, we usually keep our cars forever or until a younger family member needs a car. (my son will need a car in 14 years)

It's not transferable.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took a look at what was on the lot at my local dealer. They had one 2012 Crew AWD that had the bigger brakes. It was parked right next to another 2012 Crew AWD that had the smaller brakes. The factory must have switched over to the bigger brakes after they had already started production of the 2012s.

I'm wondering if the large brake size for the 2012 R/Ts will cause any problems when I want to purchase snow tires on 17" rims later this year.

I have been doing my research since Februray when I ordered my Journey, so I imagine that the tire shops where I have done my research would be using data for 2011 models. Not sure what they look at other then what smaller rim and tire size so as minimize the affect of the speedometer readout. I not one of those mechanically inclined people, so I am worried that a smaller rim size may not be an option if clearance is a problem. Or am I off base here and I don't have to be concerned.

I'm wondering if the large brake size for the 2012 R/Ts will cause any problems when I want to purchase snow tires on 17" rims later this year.

It's quite possible. If the bigger brakes are only coming on DJs with 19" wheels, there's no gaurantee that 17" inch wheels will fit.

I have been doing my research since Februray when I ordered my Journey, so I imagine that the tire shops where I have done my research would be using data for 2011 models. Not sure what they look at other then what smaller rim and tire size so as minimize the affect of the speedometer readout. I not one of those mechanically inclined people, so I am worried that a smaller rim size may not be an option if clearance is a problem. Or am I off base here and I don't have to be concerned.

There is absolutly no problem with the 17" rims and the new calipers/rotors.In Europe all the 17" and 19" rims have bigger brakes.With the 17" rims the clearence between the rim and the caliper is quite little but there are non problems.I think that with tne new caliper it's impossible to mount the. 16" rims.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just got back from the dealer (purchased a new 2012 R/T), pretty stoked about it! :)

I read through this thread before hitting the dealer and was on the lookout for brake sizes. I can confirm that the dealer had some new SXTs (FWD) on the lot that HAD the larger brakes (same as the R/T).

Only the newest vehicles had them, and coincidentally all SXTs that did have them, also had different 17" wheels that I had not seen before. They were 5-spokes, but I didn't get a pic of them. Maybe someone else will be able to confirm this?

Edited by jfive

Your sure your not looking at the smaller wheels, and seeing how big the brakes look in them? None of our FWD ones have big brakes, and some just came off the truck.

Yep I mesaured them and compared the caliper style...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

You can't just put the bigger ones on, alot of parts are different. And they are not going to go swap rotor sizes under warr. As far as what gets the bigger ones, I have only stated what I have seen. So far ONLY R/T AWDs have I seen with the bigger ones, but we have had no crew AWDs in, so they may also have the biggers ones also, don't know. I will update as I see them. You sure yours doesn't have the bigger ones?

I have done big brake upgrades on several vehicles. My Current other vehicle is a VW Jetta and like the Journey, came with brakes that were too small for the weight of the vehicle and warp easily. Upgrading to bigger brakes is quite easy if you can get the parts cheap enough (from a wrecked car preferably) as new parts will be very expensive.

I just had my brakes done under warranty because they were warped with less than 20k. I doubt Dodge will flip the bill for the next set I need, so will be looking to do this upgrade the next time I need brakes (probably in another year). Hopefully by then I can find some wrecked R/T's in the junk yards.

To upgrade to the bigger brakes, you need to change the pads (2), rotors (7), calipers (9) and caliper carriers (10). You may possibly need a bigger dust shield too (13) if it interferes with the larger rotor???

i2262915.jpg

Here is the list of parts that I think is needed for the upgrade:

Part Part number Price Qty Total

Pads 68093323AB $136 1 $136

Rotors 04779712AA $96 2 $192

Caliper (L) 68144161AA $100 1 $100

Caliper ® 68144160AA $100 1 $100

Carrier 68159578AA $31 2 $62

Spring Kit 68003705AA $16 1 $16

Dust shield (L) 04779907AA $5 1 $5

Dust shield ® 04779906AA $5 1 $5

Grand total = $616

Info source: Mopar Overstock

EDIT: A quick Google search using the listed part numbers was able to find cheaper prices than the ones listed above. You may also be able to get aftermarket pads & rotors as well to reduce the costs even more. The calipers & carriers would likely be dealer only items. I added all the above items to my shopping cart at www.factorymoparparts.com and the total came to $506 for OEM parts:

orig.jpg

DISCLAIMER!!!: This info is provided based on an internet search and has not been verified on a vehicle. DO NOT assume these parts will work on your Journey.

Edited by FROGBOX

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...