12s with AWD have bigger brakes

I'll take pics when i get a chance. Mine and one at work with the smaller normal ones, but with same wheels. They are quite a bit larger, and look to be dual piston in the front. So far I have only seen the big ones on R/T AWD ones, but will watch closer to see if any other AWD have them.

I'll take pics when i get a chance. Mine and one at work with the smaller normal ones, but with same wheels. They are quite a bit larger, and look to be dual piston in the front. So far I have only seen the big ones on R/T AWD ones, but will watch closer to see if any other AWD have them.

Is yours AWD or FWD?

I thought in canada you can only get AWD on the R/T's.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Why do you think they did this?

What about the people who already purchased 2011 & 2012 R/T AWD's with the smaller brakes?

I wonder if this is a safety issue.

Can the smaller ones be upgraded?

I hate how manufacturers slip in these silent changes without notifying the customer.

Edited by chryslerguy

Every 2012 R/T AWD I have seen HAS the big brakes. I would assume you could change up to the bigger ones, but probably wouldn't be cheap. I'm sure they went bigger as the AWD is heavier, and brakes have always been an issue on these. Dont think anyone is trying to "slip" anything in, its an improvement.

Every 2012 R/T AWD I have seen HAS the big brakes. I would assume you could change up to the bigger ones, but probably wouldn't be cheap. I'm sure they went bigger as the AWD is heavier, and brakes have always been an issue on these. Dont think anyone is trying to "slip" anything in, its an improvement.

I understand it is an improvement but were talking brakes here...my AWD R/T has smaller ones and if they made them larger to make them more efficient at stopping due to the larger weight I feel a bit shorthanded and uncomfortable. I already had all of them replaced once due to squeaking.

I know they have premature wear as well and I have loads of brake dust on my wheels. I hope it is not for safety reasons.

Since you are a Chrysler tech, could you inquire on this?

Thanks!

Well I don't think its a safety issue. I'm sure they were upgraded to make them last longer/be more durable on the heavier AWD Journeys. One size doesn't fit all, and there is quite a spread in weight between the base 4cyl one, and a full load V6 /AWD. All 12 Caravans, also have bigger brakes, which look to be identical to these. I take it yours is an 11?

Yes it is a 2011 R/T AWD w/3rd row seats.

I wonder what the warranty is on the brakes, because if they go bad prematurely within that period I would request they use the updated models that are more appropriate for the vehicles size.

It is no secret that this is and has been an issue with these vehicles.

The dealer already replaces all 4 discs and pads at around 5,000 miles.

I had the front breaks on my 2012 Crew AWD replaced at 3000 miles because of excessive scoring. They didn't put the bigger ones on it.

How do you know it's the AWD that's dictating the bigger brakes and not the R/T trim level? Those can be had seperately in the US.

You can't just put the bigger ones on, alot of parts are different. And they are not going to go swap rotor sizes under warr. As far as what gets the bigger ones, I have only stated what I have seen. So far ONLY R/T AWDs have I seen with the bigger ones, but we have had no crew AWDs in, so they may also have the biggers ones also, don't know. I will update as I see them. You sure yours doesn't have the bigger ones?