Rust in new car

Lebowski

Hello, I put this in interior because I didn't look for rust everywhere, but I'm sure there are more rusty parts.

I saw photos in an Italian forum about rusty parts in a new Fiat Freemont (Dodge Journey in disguise), they're quite shocking and some fellow members doubted their authenticity.

I checked my car (6 months old) and I couldn't believe it, it's the same!

These are some photos.

What do you think?

Second row of seats

ruggine1.jpg

Under the steering wheel

ruggine2.jpg

Motor support

ruggine3.jpg

Edited by Lebowski

Holy crap Batman!!!!!

You know most people will never some of that plastic off.

The motor mount is not an unusal circumstance and while

I have not checked my DJ I have seen it on other cars

I have owned.

The seat framing is supposedly painted(not necessarily rustproofed)

before assy by subcontracter for seating.

I am going to check mine today.

I'm guessing that the salt air from the transportation overseas may have impacted and caused some surface rust on unprotected components - but it is very minor. On the other hand I always rustproof my vehicles, not that it would have any impact on a seat back.

Doesn't look to be serious, though.

I'm guessing that the salt air from the transportation overseas may have impacted and caused some surface rust on unprotected components

Yes, I thought that too, but it's strange it affected the interior of a closed vehicle. OK, it's not airtight, but....

Doesn't look to be serious, though.

Maybe it's minor, but a new car shouldn't be delivered in these conditions. And it isn't going to get better with age, is it?

Edit: and that's just where I could look easily, I'm sure that if I remove some panels I'll find more rusty spots.

Edited by Lebowski

well to some it may be real important and to others it may not be, but if you have to tear the car apart or put your head under the dash, i myself think you are going a little over the line.I can only suggest that you dont go into the kitchen while they are cooking your food at your favorite resturant other wise you might not go back.Just trying to say ALL cars are built the same way using most of the same suppliers. the rust you are seeing would take 20 years or more to ever become a problem if ever.If it was rust in the paint or on the chrome or where it could be seen then it would be a quality problem that you could get taken care of.

It seems that in newer cars there's no trace of rust, so it was probably a bad batch (that should be fixed).

@2late4u, I didn't have to tear the car apart, it's visible even without removing anything. I'm sure that if I really tear it apart I'll find a lot more rusty pieces.

Lots of parts built in the same facility have different Q.C standards for different customers...........Don't get me wrong.................I don't know if the Fiat and the Journey .......U.S and Canada for that matter are all built with the same Q.C standards?.............For example look at Brake rotors ..........Many are built in the same plant ...But will have quite different standards for the price market there target for............Just a thought...........I really don't know..........Caper...........

The production plant just puts together pieces made somewhere else. If the problem is a missing anti-rust treatment (perhaps only needed for vehicles that are to be sent overseas) it won't be detected by Q.C. at the factory but only after shipment.

Maybe that's what's happened: they only discovered after the first batch arrived in Europe.

Now, while this is an acceptable explanation, I'll see what solution FIAT will give me.

For grins I checked these areas in mine and there was no rust on the interior parts.

However that motor/trans support had that same kind of surface rust on it. Looks like a cast iron piece with a machined face that was unpainted. Pretty typical kind of look in our hot + humid climate.

Edited by tstone

• 4 weeks later...

I just took the car back from the dealer. They just cleaned up some of the rust (not all of it) and made a report to Fiat, not only about this but about the problems I've been complaining to them for the last 7 months (as if they couldn't check these software issues with any other car).

I've no complaints about the dealer (they tried their best but they don't write the software after all), but I'm appalled by how FIAT managed the issue: first they told me to leave the car for an update and to call them back if the problems persisted, then when I called (since the update solved nothing) they said the dealer had to solve the problems.

Let's see how the next installment of this soap opera pans out.

• 2 weeks later...

Interior parts aren't going to deteriorate any further and, if you have them where you are, having the vehicle rust-proofed will likely eliminate any possible further damage to exterior components. Where I live rustproofing costs less than $100.

What i do not understand is, your car is a leased company car, why do you really care? You did not buy it, your company has a 5 year lease on it.

Sometimes when we do not like something we nit pick it too death.

Maybe if you starting just driving it you may find they are actully great cars.

Well, I care because I'm the one using the car and it has to last 5 years, as trouble free as possible.

Anyway, I don't understand how you can find normal that a new car has rust on the inside and on the outside. That's totally unacceptable here.